Home Register Arcade Gallery Chatroom Members Today's Posts Log In
Go Back   Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum > SereneScreen Products > Marine Aquarium 3 for Windows > Marine Aquarium 2 for Windows Archive
Notices

Old 02-26-2002, 04:58 PM   #161
Schnaaps
prolificus penguinus

Question EMAIL STATUS

Hey Fans,

We are still sending out all the Keycode emails from the database at a rate of 5,000 per day. Usually, this is done about 10:00 am Pacific time, and is completed at 3:00 Pacific.

We have sent out over 25,000 pieces of email, and still have a lot to send out in the next few days. Additionally, we have found that about 1 out of 10 email address is bad, so we are getting a rather large volume of bounces.
"Jim, no not THAT Jim but another of the same name"

JamesRathbun.com

Last edited by Schnaaps; 02-26-2002 at 05:03 PM.
Schnaaps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2002, 02:08 AM   #162
Cancerman
Registered

Smile Kick ass!

Hi Jim,

The fishes kick major ass! The wife and I love 'em. I can't wait for the next new stuff. BTW, is there a humu-humu-nuku-nuku-apua'a somewhere there? Thanks.

Cancerman
Cancerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2002, 03:06 AM   #163
Jim Sachs
Developer

Sure, there is -- also known as the Picasso Triggerfish.
Jim Sachs
Creator of SereneScreen Aquarium
Jim Sachs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2002, 04:22 AM   #164
Tiny Turtle
is pleased

27 Highscores

Ah, the "Water pig with a needle". You gotta love that name!
Tiny Turtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2002, 10:43 AM   #165
camorgan
Aquaman Dance Party

Limiting the frame rate

I turned this setting on to watch the difference in the Lionfish fins but decided to go with the higher framerate. Here's the why...

Does anyone else notice slightly stilted movement when this limit is set?

For anyone who may be wondering:
I've got a 900Mhz Athlon, 64 Mb GeForce2MX400, and 256 RAM using Windows 98 SE

Edit: I should add, this isn't a complaint at all. Just wondering if it's something I should investigate or if anyone else has noticed the same thing.
c a m o r g a n
www.outpost31.com

Last edited by camorgan; 02-28-2002 at 01:17 PM.
camorgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2002, 12:30 AM   #166
handimannbob
what's up doc ?

Angry comments on version 1.1

hi,
just a couple of thoughts about the saver being knocked off by other happenings. i have me op sys with 319ram and 5.5mbv. if i have exit on m. enabled when something causes saver to be knocked off it gets locked up somewhere and i can't unlock it unless i log off and back on. if i am on the net ,there goes that. does anyone know how i can unlock without logging off? if i have exit on m. unchecked it just kicks down to a button in task bar. hit button and it comes right back,no prob.. if in different sizes of window mode with exit o m unchecked it neve gets kicked off.
if i am on the net, saver won't come on. if i turn it on it stays on and call wave might flash through now and then. is that normal [ha ha ].
once again, i have to say i love this aquarium. had it for about 1 year and it just goes on and on and on
bob
handimannbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2002, 12:40 AM   #167
Socrates
Sage

Re: comments on version 1.1

Originally posted by handimannbob
hi,
just a couple of thoughts about the saver being knocked off by other happenings. i have me op sys with 319ram and 5.5mbv. if i have exit on m. enabled when something causes saver to be knocked off it gets locked up somewhere and i can't unlock it unless i log off and back on. if i am on the net ,there goes that. does anyone know how i can unlock without logging off? if i have exit on m. unchecked it just kicks down to a button in task bar. hit button and it comes right back,no prob.. if in different sizes of window mode with exit o m unchecked it neve gets kicked off.
if i am on the net, saver won't come on. if i turn it on it stays on and call wave might flash through now and then. is that normal [ha ha ].
once again, i have to say i love this aquarium. had it for about 1 year and it just goes on and on and on
No once it disapears a log off is the only thing I know of to make it leave memory.

As I understand it, the problem of backround processes interfering is not an issue on Win2K or XP.
Bat rays? We don't need no stinking bat rays!
Socrates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2002, 10:43 PM   #168
joryll
Registered

Background processes in W2K

Actually I have seen other background programs interfere with SSA on W2K, but it doesn't cause the system to become unstable. MSN messenger and a few system messages cause my screen to flash between SSA and the dialog that the background process is displaying. The interval and duration is very rapid, and it usually returns to normal in 1-2 seconds. I don't really consider this a bug (it's almost a feature) because I like to know when some of those things are happening.

Jory
joryll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2002, 07:19 AM   #169
pipeta
Royal Gramma

I have the same problem with ICQ (I run WinXP), but the flashing of the ICQ window don't stop until I leave the screensaver to minimize it.
I find it anoying.
pipeta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2002, 08:45 AM   #170
Ralph
Retired

1 Highscore

With version 1.1 I notice erratic movement if the sreensaver kicks in while my wife has one of the Hoyle software games going. Watching the screen FPS (which is typically 72-75) drop to 45 with occasional 27s.
I think Jim changed the priority of CPU use in this version. I guess some folk need the computer to do work in the background and thus share the requirement for the SS. Personally I liked it better the other way. There is no pleasing both camps I guess, perhaps some individual controls?
Ralph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2002, 11:29 AM   #171
Swede
Registered

Cool Swimming through rocks...

Edit: 9/3 2002

A premature complaint below, for a problem that purely was caused by me experimenting with the graphic card settings...

I leave the post as a warning to all other tweakers out there!

Anyone else have this happening?
(see pic)

Seems to happen frequently with our friend... nose or fins coming through the corals.

Also you can see him swimming halfway through the starfish while it is on the glass... (freaky)
4x / F C Am G F C Am G //
Chorus: 3x /F C Am G F C Am G//

Last edited by Swede; 03-09-2002 at 04:46 PM.
Swede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2002, 12:40 PM   #172
Jim Sachs
Developer

Oh, well -- Back to the drawing board.
Jim Sachs
Old 03-04-2002, 12:44 PM   #173
feldon34
Forum Administrator

Just move forward with the 3D background--don't look back.

Fish passing through each other is very rare. Swede, you don't have a GeForce 3 and/or 1 GHz+ system do you?
"Journalism is printing what someone else does not want printed. Everything else is public relations." - George Orwell
"If voting changed anything, they'd make it illegal." - Emma Goldman

Last edited by feldon34; 03-04-2002 at 12:49 PM.
feldon34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2002, 02:25 PM   #174
Swede
Registered

*** sollution found (maybe)! ***

I had the function "Force W buffering" enabled. I turned it off, filled the aquarium with Lionfishes and now they seem to stay in their own skin.

System is:
Windows XP Pro
Proc. 1.4Ghz AMD
Gfx: Hercules 3D Prohpet 4500 TV out

And I agree with Feldon...

Don't bother about this versions bugs Jim (if it now was a bug), just continue working on the bigger 3d-world!

Can't wait!

Last edited by Swede; 03-04-2002 at 02:42 PM.
Old 03-04-2002, 03:37 PM   #175
Jim Sachs
Developer

Well, of course "force W-buffereing" would do that. I thought is was something I did.
Jim Sachs
Old 03-04-2002, 03:46 PM   #176
Tiny Turtle
is pleased

27 Highscores

Just a minor note on this:
The Hercules 3D Prophet 4500 is, for those who didn't know, based on the Kyro 2 chip which has been known to mess up stuff in the tank before (1 & 2). What kind of FPS are you seeing in over in Karlskrona, Svenne?

/ 08:an
Tiny Turtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2002, 04:08 PM   #177
Swede
Registered

On 1024X768X16 i get 109 fps with the custom setting, but if I want nicer looking fishes with anisotropic filtering enabled I get more modest 50 fps.

I noticed that if I enable "defer render until flip" I can't get an accurate reading of the framrate at all. Framrate slows down to staggering 9 fps as soon as I press "s" to check...

But as long as it looks good I don't mind.

Sorry for bothering you with stuff that wasn't your fault, Jim!

Go back to what you were doing, and leave us hacks with ours...

Last edited by Swede; 03-04-2002 at 04:46 PM.
Old 03-08-2002, 10:19 PM   #178
SunKing
Registered

Great pictures of the Lionfish! ...even if he was peeking through the coral

I bet you had to watch for a pretty long time to capture that (glad it was your vid card settings and not a bug).

To anyone who doesn't buy this program because they didn't get to see the Lionfish first.....take those wonderful pictures - add amazingly realistic movement....in full 3D (kinda ) ...and know full well that it won't peek throught he coral unklees you tweak you vid card in a bad way - well... BUY ME!
SunKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2002, 08:01 PM   #179
EvilHorace
Registered

Angry

Just thought I'd check in to say that I really like the new version now that the mouse movement/password issue has been fixed. The SS runs great on both my main Win2K PC and my older PC running XP Pro.
A local fish store that I frequent sells plenty of nice salt water and reef types there and I often look at those things, think about trying it again but then after considering prices vs just staring at this SS instead, I think the SS wins .
EvilHorace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2002, 10:08 AM   #180
clifdene
Registered

It never ceases to amaze me the gripes one sees about the Aquarium. I am no computer buff but I can read and sometimes have a little patience and have no problems at all with the upgrades. The service remains superb and the aquarium provides me with great delight. Every extra is a major bonus and represents the best value I ever came across.
Jim. Please keep up the good work.
clifdene is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum > SereneScreen Products > Marine Aquarium 3 for Windows > Marine Aquarium 2 for Windows Archive