Home Register Arcade Gallery Chatroom Members Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Log In
Go Back   Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum > SereneScreen Products > Marine Aquarium 3 for Windows
Notices

Old 12-23-2008, 02:08 AM   #201
tifosi
Registered

Rick Simon:
am a triple monitor guy. can kindly verify if the fish appears normally on the monitors. the smearing you described earlier is gone. but the fish on my third monitor appears translucent and you can see see the background through them.

Jim Sachs:
im bummed by a nasty 'unhandled win32 exception occurred in MA3Beta.scr' whenever i select the screensaver from the display properties>>> screensaver menu in windows.

specs:
2* dell 20" (1680x1050) on ati radeon x1950pro
1* eizo 17" (1280x1024) on ati radeon 2600xt
win xp professional x64
intel core2duo 2.4GHz
6GB RAM
tifosi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2008, 02:09 AM   #202
tifosi
Registered

that said, excellent work! i may seriously consider digging deep into my pockets to buy it when i draw my first salary in June next year. keep it up. your passion for your products is pretty much damn evident in your work and rapport with the users here.
Old 12-23-2008, 10:51 AM   #203
Rick Simon
Registered

3 Highscores

Originally posted by tifosi:
Rick Simon:
am a triple monitor guy. can kindly verify if the fish appears normally on the monitors. the smearing you described earlier is gone. but the fish on my third monitor appears translucent and you can see see the background through them.  
All of the fish look just fine here, on all of my monitors.

Jim Sachs:
im bummed by a nasty 'unhandled win32 exception occurred in MA3Beta.scr' whenever i select the screensaver from the display properties>>> screensaver menu in windows.  

I wonder if these problems might be caused by a registry entry problem between the versions. By any chance, did you run the Registry cleaner script to clear out everything from v7m before running v7n? This link refers to the script if you don't already have it:

https://www.feldoncentral.com/Sachs/registry_scripts/ma3_remove.reg
Rick Simon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2008, 11:09 AM   #204
Jim Sachs
Developer

tifosi - Have all versions been exhibiting these problems, or did they start recently? Is it just the background wash that's visible through the translucent fish, or all the objects in the tank?

When you run Display Properties, does it come up on the "translucent" monitor, or one of the normal ones?
Jim Sachs
Creator of SereneScreen Aquarium
Jim Sachs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2008, 11:53 AM   #205
cjmaddy
Registered

.... And is an up-to-date DirectX present for all three monitors, (run dxdiag and check all three 'Display' tabs), then re-install it again, just to make sure.
cjmaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2008, 01:56 PM   #206
tifosi
Registered

Originally posted by Jim Sachs:
tifosi - Have all versions been exhibiting these problems, or did they start recently? Is it just the background wash that's visible through the translucent fish, or all the objects in the tank?

When you run Display Properties, does it come up on the "translucent" monitor, or one of the normal ones?  
Hello Jim, only the current version 7n exhibits this problem. 7m had the problem Rick Simon mentioned earlier regarding the duplicate screens as well as smearing on the 3rd monitor.

As for the translucent effects, ALL objects can be seen thru the fish. Its like the fish became invisible literally but I cam able to see the faint outline and colors of their fins (not bodies)

Will try to reformat perhaps after X'mas and reinstall Direct X like cjmaddy mentioned. Mines an old version 2007 but i dont understand how come it could stop working where prior versions (except 7m) worked fine.

Furthermore, i have tried the reg cleaner as suggested by Rick to no avail.

Thank you very much Jim, Rick and cjmaddy. Your help is appreciated!
Old 12-25-2008, 05:49 AM   #207
Wizwad
Only me...

Plus, does anyone have a 4 monitor setup?

Given that the 3 monitor setup showed problems when the 2 monitor version was fixed, it would probably be handy to get feedback from any people crazy enough to have plastered their walls with monitors!
Mark
-----------
Intel i7 12700K | Aorus Z690 Pro | Corsair DDR5 5600 32GB | Asus Dual RTX3060ti 6GB v2 Mini OC | Corsair RM850 Gold PSU | 1TB NVMe M.2 WD Black SN850 | 4TB Seagate BarraCuda HDD | Corsair Airflow 5000D Case | HP 32QHD 4K Monitor | Windows 11 x64 Professional
Wizwad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2008, 04:28 PM   #208
Tiny Turtle
is pleased

27 Highscores

Yes, we've had pics of one user's four widescreen monitors in a 2x2 setup.
Thanks to Morgan, Tiny Snapshots is up and running again with "Tiny Järvafält" as the latest addition – Go have a look and tell me what you think.

"We knew the world would not be the same. A few people laughed, a few people cried, most people were silent.
I remembered the line from the Hindu scripture, the Bhagavad-Gita. Vishnu is trying to persuade the Prince that he should do his duty and to impress him takes on his multi-armed form and says,
'Now, I am become Death, the destroyer of worlds.'
I suppose we all thought that, one way or another.
" /Robert Oppenheimer on witnessing the first thermonuclear detonation in history.
Tiny Turtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2008, 10:34 PM   #209
Ralph
Retired

1 Highscore

Santa has created a condition where I can now join the multi-monitor group

Some immediate observations.. if the second screen is not at it's native resolution I will get smearing of the background (but only while in full screen). The setting in the display box for the second monitor will not pick / change to the optimum screen size... even though it says automatic.
The other thing I notice is that the logo will not toggle on the second monitor when in full screen mode.. it does when in a window
And...when a window is stretched into the second monitor the frame rate drops big time.. yet when in a window completely in the second monitor the frame rate is normal... And.. increased considerably with both in full screen mode.

Likely all these issues have been brought up before....but not being part of the elite multi-monitor group did not keep up with the problems / bugs
Ralph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2008, 01:20 AM   #210
Jim Sachs
Developer

Ralph, are you sure you're using the Beta7n version? I spent a lot of time fixing that missing-background-wash problem on the second monitor, and I'd hate to have to start all over on that.

I wasn't aware of the logo problem - I'll look into it.

The slowdown-when-window-in-two-monitors is probably something we'll just have to live with.
Jim Sachs
Old 12-26-2008, 05:30 AM   #211
cjmaddy
Registered

Have a look at this thread, Ralph. ..... There's more to dual monitors, and how they are set-up/connected, than meets the eye!

.... https://www.feldoncentral.com/forums...ead.php?t=4388
Old 12-26-2008, 07:45 AM   #212
tifosi
Registered

hello Jim and the rest, I have reinstalled directx and the latest drivers and all's working well. (the 3rd monitor displays fish perfectly now). thanks so much. such a simple solution which i was too lazy to even try.

however the dialog "an unhandled win32 exception occured in ma3beta.scr" pops up whenever i select the screensaver from the display properties menu. it still runs perfectly when i click 'no' when prompted to debug. it only occurs on the display properties dialog. it doesnt pop up under any other circumstances. is it possible that its a compatibility problem with windows xp x64? either way, am sorting out things and will reformat soon. well, will keep you guys updated. keep up the fantastic job on the screensaver.

oh yes, hope you had a great Xmas and wishing you all a happy new year in advance.
Old 12-26-2008, 09:32 AM   #213
cjmaddy
Registered

hello Jim and the rest, I have reinstalled directx and the latest drivers and all's working well. (the 3rd monitor displays fish perfectly now). thanks so much. such a simple solution which i was too lazy to even try....  
Mith, and skypx, take note....
Old 12-26-2008, 09:52 AM   #214
Jim Sachs
Developer

tifosi - Regarding possible conficts with 64-bit versions of Windows - yes, it's possible.
Jim Sachs
Old 12-26-2008, 10:41 AM   #215
tifosi
Registered

tifosi - Regarding possible conficts with 64-bit versions of Windows - yes, it's possible.  
thanks for the heads-up.

well i think its a minor issue. all i need is to click no and all's fine. and it will only happen once for every reformat for i'll only access that menu when configuring the screensaver.

imho, just a suggestion, you might want to consider allowing multimonitor folks have more numbers of fish than the default 30. and furthermore, how about a night (as in really dim) lighting for the aquarium.

keep up the good work, Jim!
Old 12-26-2008, 11:42 AM   #216
Ralph
Retired

1 Highscore

Ralph, are you sure you're using the Beta7n version? I spent a lot of time fixing that missing-background-wash problem on the second monitor, and I'd hate to have to start all over on that.  
Sorry Jim..
I get the wash "if" the second monitor is set at anything other than its native resolution.. But.. only in full screen
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2screensmear.jpg (342.1 KB, 42 views)
Old 12-26-2008, 12:27 PM   #217
cjmaddy
Registered

Ralph, I can reproduce that fault if I reduce the resolution of the second monitor. But why would I want to do that?

I think I'm missing something here!
Old 12-26-2008, 01:21 PM   #218
Ralph
Retired

1 Highscore

.. because a second monitor "might" be set to a resolution specific to ones needs..

I kind of thought that the settings in the display settings... picking "automatic" should ensure the complete display is rendered properly. (selecting the set size in the drop down box makes no difference.. it still smears).

Cliff, you have been a keen advocate of reinstalling directX when ever one has graphic issues.. Something I have never done... and know little about other than running dxdiag at the run command . DirectX is a Windows thing.. no? Is there a specific "fresh" download place to get the latest copy?
Old 12-26-2008, 03:29 PM   #219
cjmaddy
Registered

Yes, try here.... http://www.softwarepatch.com/windows/directx.html

... but also take note of what I said here.... https://www.feldoncentral.com/forums...46&#post108046 (ie, nothing may happen until after a cold re-boot)
Old 12-26-2008, 05:03 PM   #220
Jim Sachs
Developer

Apparently we're talking about an entirely different problem here. The blue wash is there on both monitors, it just doesn't come down far enough on the second one. The problem that everyone had been reporting was that the wash was not displaying at all, which caused the fish to leave trails across the whole background.

Your second render unit is only painting down to the gravel, and reporting that size window to my program, which (believing what it is told) paints the background down to 77% of that size. Since the reported window size is too short, so is the background size.

This is one of many multi-monitor problems that I have no idea how to fix. The nVidia DualView scheme opens up another can of worms.
Jim Sachs

Last edited by Jim Sachs; 12-26-2008 at 08:16 PM.
Go Back   Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum > SereneScreen Products > Marine Aquarium 3 for Windows