Home Register Arcade Gallery Chatroom Members Today's Posts Log In
Go Back   Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum > SereneScreen Products > Marine Aquarium 3 for Windows > Marine Aquarium 2 for Windows Archive
Notices

Old 09-08-2004, 08:30 AM   #1
max
Registered

Sony VAIO notebook shuts off 5 min after screen saver activates

when i use Aquarium 2 as a screen saver, in exactly 5 mins after saver activates, it will freeze momentarily for a split second and shuts off my computer.

I went to Sony site and downloaded a driver that was most recent for my computer model dated from Nov 2003. but same problem still exsists.

my laptop is a PCG-FRV25
fish are cool

Last edited by max; 09-08-2004 at 11:14 AM.
max is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2004, 08:43 AM   #2
Edgar
Prolific/SereneScreen Developer

1 Highscore

If you use a different screensaver, does it also shut down your computer after 5 mins?
If you run it by double clicking on it, does it also shut down after 5 mins?
Edgar Tolentino
Prolific Developer

www.prolific.com
www.LifeGlobe.com
Edgar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2004, 09:16 AM   #3
max
Registered

only shuts down with Aqu 2

When running windows pipes computer does not shut down. when running Aquarium 2 by running it in test mode it does shut down. Is it possible that my video card is overheating ..i seemed to have read in a help file that this screen saver runs your system at 100%. just a thought.......i have not removed my old video driver and installed my later one yet as it seems risky, and i think that if it was the driver the saver would not run at all. It looks just fine when it is actually running.
fish are cool
Old 09-08-2004, 09:18 AM   #4
drfish
the Doc

That was my first thought, overheating I mean... Try capping the framerate at 30fps or so and see what happens...
I don't watch commercials.
drfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2004, 09:37 AM   #5
max
Registered

tested with 30 fps

ok, I tested with frame rate at 30 fps, same result, after a little less than 5 mins, computer shuts down cold.

Im pretty tenacious....anyone have any other ideas or life experience dealing with this problem to help me get on with my life.

All you VAIO owners out there......HELP
fish are cool
Old 09-08-2004, 02:07 PM   #6
Wizwad
Only me...

I think Sony must not have designed their graphics cooling very well. I got myself a PCG-GRV616G in the middle of last year. My first act was to install MA on it. Then later on the GA. By Halloween it was crashing out every now and again, by Christmas it was crashing out whenever I ran any Prolific (i.e. 3D intensive) screensavers and by the end of January it had died completely.

You may have to resort to Sony Support to sort this out. Best of luck! :-S

On the interesting side, half-way through I got some very interesting effects where the screen would get divided up like panels of Mondrian, and as the fish swam past some panels, as one crossed an edge, I'd just see a sharply delineated wireframe fish in the panel until it swam out the other side. Like having x-ray screens placed randomly on a fishtank!
Mark
-----------
Intel i7 12700K | Aorus Z690 Pro | Corsair DDR5 5600 32GB | Asus Dual RTX3060ti 6GB v2 Mini OC | Corsair RM850 Gold PSU | 1TB NVMe M.2 WD Black SN850 | 4TB Seagate BarraCuda HDD | Corsair Airflow 5000D Case | HP 32QHD 4K Monitor | Windows 11 x64 Professional

Last edited by Wizwad; 09-08-2004 at 04:49 PM.
Wizwad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2004, 02:38 PM   #7
Jav400
Administrator

22 Highscores

If I remember correctly I think Jim had a Vaio for awhile, I don't remember if his experience was a good one or not. But, I am sure that he would have tried running his work on it. Maybe he would have some pointers, That screen runs at a native res of 1024x768, make sure that the screen saver is set to that res and choose 16 bit.
Jav400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2004, 09:36 PM   #8
Jim Sachs
Developer

Yes, I still have the VAIO. It's the thin desktop version. It runs the Aquarium continously with no problems.
Jim Sachs
Creator of SereneScreen Aquarium
Jim Sachs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2004, 10:04 PM   #9
max
Registered

MA shuts off VAIO notebook after 5 mins

I have another post but i mistakenly named it incorrectly. I am hoping to find someone who has had this problem and knows how to fix it........for all you guys who have helped up to now....thank you very much....Sony says this notebook will shut it
's self off if it gets too hot.......If that is it I wonder if there is a way to verify that that is indeed the case....????

Just fishing for an answer.
fish are cool
Old 09-09-2004, 02:31 AM   #10
Jav400
Administrator

22 Highscores

{Threads merged}

I would guess that is your problem then. You can try setting the fps lower, or turning off fish one at a time and see if that will help. Running the aquarium is hard on notebooks, as it is a 3D app and takes some video card horsepower.
Old 09-09-2004, 05:27 AM   #11
max
Registered

tryed empty aquarium

I even tryed and empty aquarium, not bubbles, lowest frames per min, same result, im going to take back off of computer and see if video card has lint clogging the chip, .....wish I could find someone with my same model lap top that uses this so I would have hope of success.
fish are cool
Old 09-09-2004, 06:37 AM   #12
Tiny Turtle
is pleased

27 Highscores

Perhaps you could post a question over in the computer section of Agoraquest?

Being a Sony-only forum should mean a denser Vaio concentration, ne?

As for trying other screensavers, could you try a graphics intense saver (Windows Pipes isn't really taxing the system)? I suggest downloading Living Pond which should put a proper strain on your system (and looking good in the process). Will that cause a shutdown as well?

/Tiny Koi
Thanks to Morgan, Tiny Snapshots is up and running again with "Tiny Järvafält" as the latest addition – Go have a look and tell me what you think.

"We knew the world would not be the same. A few people laughed, a few people cried, most people were silent.
I remembered the line from the Hindu scripture, the Bhagavad-Gita. Vishnu is trying to persuade the Prince that he should do his duty and to impress him takes on his multi-armed form and says,
'Now, I am become Death, the destroyer of worlds.'
I suppose we all thought that, one way or another.
" /Robert Oppenheimer on witnessing the first thermonuclear detonation in history.
Tiny Turtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2004, 07:57 AM   #13
max
Registered

tryed the living pond screen saver

I tryed the living pond screen saver.
It did the same thing. shut down after about 5 mins
the pipes screen saver from windows worked fine
It is looking very much like a video overheat issue for now, I am E-mailing Sony and I will post any progress here.

Thanks again everyone for your comments

Max
fish are cool
Old 09-09-2004, 08:44 AM   #14
Surferminn
Senior Puddle Jumper

74 Highscores

Hi Max, not to rain on your particular vaio, but if you bought aquarium on cd, maybe you could visit one of the computer stores with vaio displayed and load/run it and see if it does the same thing on the displays as well...

Minn

Nothing Changes if Nothing Changes.

Surferminn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2004, 10:10 AM   #15
Edgar
Prolific/SereneScreen Developer

1 Highscore

I still think it is a Driver issue. The Pipes screensaver is also a 3D but uses OpenGL.

If you look here for instructions on reinstalling video drivers, it might fix your problem. Look at the last entry. But if you have never reinstall video drivers, watch the warning.
Edgar Tolentino
Prolific Developer

www.prolific.com
www.LifeGlobe.com
Edgar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2004, 12:43 PM   #16
max
Registered

mission accompished....i think

well i was able to talk to a lady tech at sony who ran me through uninstalling my video driver, then reinstalled the same one. this did not work. some more interesting facts, while i talked to her i let it shut down and then i immediatly restarted

It shut down in only 2 mins instead of 5, confirming it was a heat problem.

she had me install a patch to keep processor from running at 100%....that did not work either.

finially after i hung up i disassembled computer and blew out the two fans, they did not seem real dirty but the good part is when i re-assembled computer i ran MA 2 fo about an hour and it did not shut down.

must have been just enough dirt to not allow fans to keep up with the heat generated by computer.
fish are cool
Old 09-09-2004, 01:06 PM   #17
Surferminn
Senior Puddle Jumper

74 Highscores

thanks for reporting back final results, max.

Nothing Changes if Nothing Changes.

Surferminn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2004, 01:20 PM   #18
Jim Sachs
Developer

Just to clear this up in my own mind -- We are talking about a VAIO laptop here, not a desktop as in the thread title, correct?
Jim Sachs
Creator of SereneScreen Aquarium
Jim Sachs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2004, 01:27 PM   #19
max
Registered

clearing it up

Yes it is a VAIO PCG FRV25 notebook, I tryed to correct my mistake by making a duplicate thread, but the editer did not keep the correct post.....sorry for the confussion.

Once again thanks for all your help dealing with this.

It is a very cool screen saver.
fish are cool
Old 09-09-2004, 01:33 PM   #20
Jav400
Administrator

22 Highscores

Thread title fixed. Glad that cleaning the fans let it stay cool and keep running.
Go Back   Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum > SereneScreen Products > Marine Aquarium 3 for Windows > Marine Aquarium 2 for Windows Archive