Home Register Arcade Gallery Chatroom Members Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Log In
Go Back   Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum > SereneScreen Products > Marine Aquarium 3 for Windows > Marine Aquarium 2 for Windows Archive
Notices

Old 09-27-2006, 02:54 PM   #181
Jav400
Administrator

22 Highscores

It would be interesting to see just how effective this process is. From what I have read on the site it appears that the screens are set with a standard 2 1/2" eye setting that is non-adjustable. I have no way to compare that to any of the settings that I have used in the past with my glasses. Using my software I can adjust the "depth of field" so to speak, and can make major changes in the effect. All the way from zero effect; to where from across the room using the wireless glasses you would swear that a fish is swimming 15 feet in front of the screen and you need to duck to let him pass. If you get one of these Jim be sure to let us know how well it works.

I don't know how well it would help without you being able to see it for yourself, but I will definately check beta versions for the 3D effect using my stuff.
Jav400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2006, 02:54 PM   #182
cjmaddy
Registered

It sounds rather restrictive as regards your head positioning, Jim. Unless this review is incorrect.

...... I'd only be able to get one of my heads into the viewing envelope.
cjmaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2006, 03:33 PM   #183
Jim Sachs
Developer

Yes, I've read the reviews and it does sound restrictive. Also, the 1024-pixel display is divided in two, so that each eye sees only a 512-pixel image. Reviewers say that the overal effect is better than 512, but definitely not 1024. At any rate, this sort of defeats the main purpose of 3.0, which is to bring MA into the world of hi-definition.

Some day they'll have goggles with a high-def screen for each eye. Then you can just lay back on the couch and immerse yourself in 3D.
Jim Sachs
Creator of SereneScreen Aquarium
Jim Sachs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2006, 08:25 PM   #184
feldon34
Forum Administrator

Jim,

You can't run the glasses at 60Hz (30fps)?
"Journalism is printing what someone else does not want printed. Everything else is public relations." - George Orwell
"If voting changed anything, they'd make it illegal." - Emma Goldman
feldon34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2006, 09:31 PM   #185
Jim Sachs
Developer

Even if it would work - all reports I've read say no - anything below 100hz (50hz per eye) gives me an instant migraine.
Jim Sachs
Old 09-27-2006, 09:37 PM   #186
feldon34
Forum Administrator

But that's on CRTs, which flicker. In between frames being painted, the image fades. This does not happen on LCDs. LCDs merely change the pixels, with no interstitial "black" or "fade" in between.
"Journalism is printing what someone else does not want printed. Everything else is public relations." - George Orwell
"If voting changed anything, they'd make it illegal." - Emma Goldman
feldon34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2006, 11:08 PM   #187
Jim Sachs
Developer

Well, if someone claims to have it working, I'll be glad to look at it.
Jim Sachs
Old 09-28-2006, 12:48 AM   #188
memilm
Registered

has somebody tried the Metal Gear Acid 2 for PSP?
The PSP has an lcd-screen and for this game are some 3D glases included(solid eye) with them you can see very nice 3D film sequences. really nice made...
memilm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2006, 02:30 AM   #189
Tiny Turtle
is pleased

27 Highscores

Jim,
Thanks for the little preview. Nice!

Since I'm already (slightly) crosseyed I can't see the 3D effect of the composite image, but anytime you're curious about whether or not we would like to see stuff like that - assume we do.
Thanks to Morgan, Tiny Snapshots is up and running again with "Tiny Järvafält" as the latest addition – Go have a look and tell me what you think.

"We knew the world would not be the same. A few people laughed, a few people cried, most people were silent.
I remembered the line from the Hindu scripture, the Bhagavad-Gita. Vishnu is trying to persuade the Prince that he should do his duty and to impress him takes on his multi-armed form and says,
'Now, I am become Death, the destroyer of worlds.'
I suppose we all thought that, one way or another.
" /Robert Oppenheimer on witnessing the first thermonuclear detonation in history.
Tiny Turtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2006, 09:36 AM   #190
chaostheory
Registered

Hi everyone, im new to the forum, but have loved the screensaver for a long time. Anyhow i just wanted to post on a comment spoken earlier by Jim.

My wife and I were in an aquarium store yesterday when she spotted a very strange green fish that looked like a ragged piece of floating seaweed.
Was it possibly a leafy sea dragon . They are awesome fish, i imagine incredibly hard to design, but what an addition that would make. I saw them at the Pittsburgh Zoo in PA and was truely awe struck at their design and beauty. I love fish lol...

chaostheory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2006, 10:19 AM   #191
Jim Sachs
Developer

No, I didn't mean the weedy leafy sea dragon. I was referring to a particularly ugly little fish - ragged and brownish green.

I have often thought of including sea dragons. What an amazing evolutionary adaptation, to look so much like seaweed. Unless, of course, they are among critters that eat seaweed. You are right - the programming would probably be prohibitive. Regular sea horses are on the short list, though.
Jim Sachs
Old 09-28-2006, 11:26 AM   #192
ESHIREY
Smilie Dragon

Hey buddy, Welcome to the forum. I saw you over at DA. Glad you came here too.
Thank you for taking the time to read this.
ESHIREY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2006, 11:46 AM   #193
chaostheory
Registered

thanks

Thanks, what can i say, i love aquarium screensavers and between MA and DA (not picking favorites) they are the best i've seen. It seems to add a level of enjoyment when you actually participate in the forums for the products you use.
Old 09-28-2006, 11:50 AM   #194
Jav400
Administrator

22 Highscores

Glad you are enjoying it so much, and like Ed says; Welcome to our forums.
Old 09-28-2006, 11:58 AM   #195
chaostheory
Registered

nice

255 DVD's, not bad at all JAV. I too am a collector of DVD's. I have around 700 currently. I do love my movie time. This summer i watched 9 seasons of X-Files Roughly (200) 45 minute episodes so now i have to catch up on the movies i've acquired since then. My list is just in Excell though. If you count SVCD's and Divx Xvid releases i have on cd, then i have around 1400 movies
Old 09-28-2006, 12:37 PM   #196
cjmaddy
Registered

1400 !!! - That makes my 215 look pathetic! ..... and I've still got to watch about 70 of them!
Old 09-28-2006, 01:07 PM   #197
chaostheory
Registered

ha ha ha

Yea let's hope that the MPAA never decides to stop by, i won't say how many i actually paid for out of that 1400.
Old 09-28-2006, 02:29 PM   #198
Jim Sachs
Developer

Just to get back on topic momentarily - I'm heading up to San Francisco again tomorrow, looking for more source material. I had a very good day yesterday, and got a lot of good pics at Pet World in San Bernardino. The manager let me have the run of the place with my cameras right at closing time. It was just getting dark, so the reflections in the glass were minimal (plus, I remembered to wear my dark shirt).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PetWorld1.JPG (274.6 KB, 278 views)
Jim Sachs
Old 09-28-2006, 02:36 PM   #199
Jav400
Administrator

22 Highscores

Very nice Jim. Kudo's to the manager for being so helpful and allowing you the time and space.
Old 09-28-2006, 02:53 PM   #200
cjmaddy
Registered

Originally posted by Jim Sachs:
.... It was just getting dark, so the reflections in the glass were minimal (plus, I remembered to wear my dark shirt).  
Good point, Jim. - Sadly not everyone understands these anti-reflection techniques!

...... Great shot there, Jim.
Go Back   Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum > SereneScreen Products > Marine Aquarium 3 for Windows > Marine Aquarium 2 for Windows Archive