Home Register Arcade Gallery Chatroom Members Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Log In
Go Back   Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum > SereneScreen Products > Marine Aquarium 3 for Windows
Notices

Old 11-18-2008, 10:40 PM   #1
Jav400
Administrator

22 Highscores

Windowed Mode? - Beta 7

Jim,

I've never had this happen before. In the resize it is now cutting off the top instead of taking things into account.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Window_01.jpg (165.5 KB, 42 views)
Jav400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 10:49 PM   #2
Jim Sachs
Developer

Don't stretch it so far if you don't want the top and bottom cut off.
Jim Sachs
Creator of SereneScreen Aquarium
Jim Sachs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 10:50 PM   #3
Edgar
Prolific/SereneScreen Developer

1 Highscore

What do you mean by taking things into account. That view is as designed to keep the middle of the screensaver as much as possible when stretching too wide.
Actually the ratio is little bit more below the middle.
Edgar Tolentino
Prolific Developer

www.prolific.com
www.LifeGlobe.com
Edgar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 11:23 PM   #4
Jav400
Administrator

22 Highscores

Huh, I guess I never tried this before and had this happen. Somehow in my mind it always used to snap back to a proper ratio if I tried to stretch it out passed what it should be and kept a "total" view of the tank.

Am I dreaming that and just never noticed it, or has something changed?
Old 11-18-2008, 11:37 PM   #5
Jim Sachs
Developer

It's been there in all the Betas. The idea is that it could be stretched accross 4 screens and still maintain the proper pixel-aspect. Actually, we discussed this during Alpha testing.
Jim Sachs
Creator of SereneScreen Aquarium
Jim Sachs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2008, 07:17 AM   #6
Jav400
Administrator

22 Highscores

Yeah ok, I remember that now. I only have one monitor, a huge CRT, and practical testing in anything multi-monitor related is out for me. I guess I never tried stretching it that way before.

on my part.
Old 11-19-2008, 08:37 AM   #7
cjmaddy
Registered

Ah yes, huge CRTs... I vaguely remember those from the old days!
cjmaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2008, 09:03 AM   #8
Jav400
Administrator

22 Highscores

One of these days I will probably end up with a LCD. But for me it's not time yet. I can't stand large resolutions, and by this I mean I really really hate using them. It would be tantamount to me to just quit computers and walk away if that was my only choice.

The least res I run is 1920 x 1440, and sometimes higher. When you can find me a LCD that can do that without costing me 2k or some stupid something, then I will get one.
Old 11-19-2008, 09:48 AM   #9
pvernam
wobbegong

Originally posted by Jav400:
The least res I run is 1920 x 1440, and sometimes higher. When you can find me a LCD that can do that without costing me 2k or some stupid something, then I will get one.  
Newegg lists five 30" 2560x1600 LCD monitors for between $1000 and $1260, including a Samsung 305T for $1200. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...e=&srchInDesc=
pvernam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2008, 09:59 AM   #10
Jav400
Administrator

22 Highscores

Yeah, I saw some of those before as well. I'm not fond of the price yet, but even if I did get one, we're talking those res.'s on a 30" screen. Right now I use 1920 x 1440 on a 21" screen, so overall I am thinking that I am still going to end up with things larger than I am used too. It's getting closer now than it's ever been before though. In the past it wasn't even worth considering to me. I guess I will need to start going around and trying to see if I can find one of those set up and take a look to see just how it "feels/looks" to me.

The other reason I never changed to LCD was actual 3D use. I bought a set of these some number of years ago and they rocked, especially using the IR glasses that weren't tied to anything by a cord. I had total freedom of movement and the depth in 3D apps was amazing. Playing games in true 3D was awesome, not to mention watching Jim's aquarium. You would not believe how great it looked. I waited all this time to be able to see MA3 in the same manner with all the coral in true 3D as well and I got the short end of the stick now because the 8800 GTX that I use now takes different drivers than the old ones and nVidia's stereo drivers don't support it now. I'm still ticked over that one.

Basically to get it to work you HAD to have a crt because it needed 2x the refresh rate as it projected dual images on the screen at the same time and the shutter glasses blinks the eyes back and forth a gazillion times a second to give one image and depth. LCD screens can't manage that.
Old 11-19-2008, 10:56 AM   #11
Jav400
Administrator

22 Highscores

Before it's over with, once Jim has everything out and running and out of Beta stages, I plan on at least once changing video cards back to an older card that will run using the older drivers and checking out MA3. I have waited 8 years for this to be released and I refuse to not see it in true 3D at least once.
Old 11-21-2008, 03:09 PM   #12
ESHIREY
Smilie Dragon

Hey buddy, what you can do is get a 32" or so lcd hd tv. They are cheaper and you get a great hd picture. That's what I use for my middle monitor. Which is also my main one too.

They have a good 32" one over at tiger on sale for $399.99 till 11/23 while they last.
ESHIREY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2008, 03:40 PM   #13
feldon34
Forum Administrator

Only problem with some of those HDTVs is overscan. Our Mitsubishi is great, but the overscan is absurd and cannot be adjusted. Can't see the Start menu, sides, or top of the screen at all.
"Journalism is printing what someone else does not want printed. Everything else is public relations." - George Orwell
"If voting changed anything, they'd make it illegal." - Emma Goldman
feldon34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2008, 04:59 PM   #14
ESHIREY
Smilie Dragon

I had the same problem with mine. But in the settings of NVIDIA Control Panel click on Video & Television. Then click on Resize HDTV desktop. Then under the number 2 option where it says "When the desktop is displayed on my HDTV........" You have two options.
1- Do not resize my desktop
2- Resize my desktop.
Click on 2 then you can click on resize my desktop tab.

This is what I had to do when I went to a higher res. It also made the menu screen in my games look a lot better and didn't cut off part of the display. Like you say, over scan
ESHIREY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2008, 05:30 PM   #15
Jav400
Administrator

22 Highscores

I may check into that,

Thanks Ed.
Old 11-21-2008, 11:56 PM   #16
pvernam
wobbegong

Originally posted by feldon32:
Only problem with some of those HDTVs is overscan. Our Mitsubishi is great, but the overscan is absurd and cannot be adjusted. Can't see the Start menu, sides, or top of the screen at all.  
I have a Mitsubishi LT52144, and the overscan is normally, as you say, absurd. But if you go into the setup menu where you can name the inputs, and rename the input you're using (from "HDMI3", or whatever) to "PC" and voila, no more overscan. I get every single pixel, corner to corner, just like on a real PC monitor. It seems that the amount of overscan depends on the name you give the input. I believe that when I had it set to "GAME" I got slight overscan.
pvernam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2008, 11:54 AM   #17
feldon34
Forum Administrator

Wow, so it has some kind of internal coding that reacts of the input is named "PC". How odd, and cool!
"Journalism is printing what someone else does not want printed. Everything else is public relations." - George Orwell
"If voting changed anything, they'd make it illegal." - Emma Goldman
feldon34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2008, 02:25 PM   #18
Dale
Banned

Originally posted by feldon32:
Perhaps read the Owner's Guide?
Dale is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum > SereneScreen Products > Marine Aquarium 3 for Windows