Home Register Arcade Gallery Chatroom Members Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Log In
Go Back   Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum > SereneScreen Products > Marine Aquarium 3 for Windows
Notices

Old 04-18-2001, 02:21 PM   #182

PlugIn Support

PlugIn support would be very useful. So everyone
did not have to download all fishes and Jim would be able to add more effects (bump mapping, lighting (flourescing - see request from Sharkfood) effect and so on).
Thanx...
by bRs
Old 04-18-2001, 02:55 PM   #183
Jim Sachs
Developer

Re: PlugIn Support

I'm trying to avoid having separate files lurking in the user's computer. Things get out of hand quickly when trying to determine if all the different pieces are the latest version, etc. By keeping everything in one file, each time I release a new version with more fish, I can also tune up the existing fish, as well as make other improvements to the program.
Jim Sachs
Creator of SereneScreen Aquarium
Jim Sachs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2001, 10:40 PM   #184

Network Version Wanted...

I would like a network version of this, so that you don't have to register umpteen times and key in registration codes umpteen times.
Old 04-20-2001, 02:47 PM   #185
Digital Lungfish
Obey the toad!

Re: Network Version Wanted...

The problem with a networked version is that if you're using it on a lan at work (with file and printer sharing enabled), then everyone else will have access to it as well. I'm sure that's something that Jim would like to avoid. With any piece of quality software, you should expect some level of security to protect the author's investment and I believe that Jim is taking the right steps to do so while still making it as easy as possible to setup the program on a new computer.

If he makes it too easy though, then far too many people will end up passing copies around to friends at work, on the net, and so on. As it stands now, it's not really all that secure to be honest and I'm sure people are passing it around just the same. Then again, I don't think Jim really figured that his screensaver would garner the interest of hackers.

- DL
Steve
www.tron-sector.com - www.badcartridge.com - www.classicgaming.com - www.dinofish.com
Today is the tomorrow you were worried about yesterday...
Digital Lungfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2001, 04:09 PM   #186
Tiny Turtle
is pleased

27 Highscores

SS localization

As this SS has sparked a sudden interest for salt water aquariums IRL for me, I'm reading everything I can lay my hands on about 'em. I'm starting to learn the Swedish names for the fishes. When I recently paid a visit to Stockholm's "Aquaria Water Museum" (Ever been there Ingo?) I heard people around me asking their friends what all sorts of fish were called. I was about to answer when I realized that I only knew the english names for them! The Swedish names aren't direct translations of the English (for instance, the swedish name for regal tang would translate into "palette surgeonfish" and the lionfish is a "dragonfish" around my part of the woods.

Anyway, that's when I got the idea for a localized version of the SS. A pull-down menu in the "Settings" dialog with different languages (including Latin of course!) shouldn't be so hard for someone who can create actual life inside my monitor...

It could still be contained inside the sole .scr-file and wouldn't take too much space either. The actual translation work shouldn't be that big a problem, I'm sure that people in this community would trample each other for the opportunity to contribute in any way to this SS.

/Calle

PS
An aquarium with a dark background and one sole lionfish swimming around slowly, that's my dream setup right now!
Thanks to Morgan, Tiny Snapshots is up and running again with "Tiny Järvafält" as the latest addition – Go have a look and tell me what you think.

"We knew the world would not be the same. A few people laughed, a few people cried, most people were silent.
I remembered the line from the Hindu scripture, the Bhagavad-Gita. Vishnu is trying to persuade the Prince that he should do his duty and to impress him takes on his multi-armed form and says,
'Now, I am become Death, the destroyer of worlds.'
I suppose we all thought that, one way or another.
" /Robert Oppenheimer on witnessing the first thermonuclear detonation in history.
Tiny Turtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2001, 04:52 PM   #187

Lionfish

An aquarium with a dark background and one sole lionfish swimming around slowly, that's my dream setup right now!
Well, that's an easily-achievable dream! Lionfish are extremely sturdy fish, as long as they're not fed a steady diet of goldfish. Get one that's adapted to frozen foods, and you'll have it a good, long time. Extremely disease-resistant, tolerant of imperfect water conditions, and undeniably interesting. People have even used them to "cycle" a tank, although I wouldn't go that far. Rather poisonous, of course.
They don't need a very big tank for the size fish they are, preferring to hover rather than pace. There are dwarf varieties, also.
Old 04-23-2001, 03:31 AM   #188

Great Program!

i saw this running in a computer store to show off monitors and i could hardly take my eyes off. needless to say, i'm now registered and hooked!

first, one of the biggest thing right now that distinguishes this from a real aquarium is the fact that the plants don't move. i would love to see this in a future release.

second, i select "random" for all 7 fish. i would like an option to not repeat so that i can avoid having 2 of the same fish swimming around, but still have the randomness.

i'm really excited about all the enhancements i've read about here. thanks!
Old 04-23-2001, 06:22 AM   #189
hpman77
Blue Angel

Screencam?

I just bought a small logitech's webcam, and I was trilled about the Reality Fusion Games it has, as they use the movement of the camera's pics as input (detects changes in the images being captured).

It would be great if, once tapping on the glass and those things are implemented, also the fishes could see when you are in front, or there's movement in front of them, as my current fishes (sweet water fishes, a.k.a stupid goldfishes) tend to became very nervous asking for food everytime I come near them (some minutes later, they realise the're not going to be feeded then and loses some interest on me)

What about that?

BTW, Ppl at reality fusion offers a devkit to use their technology, although a) don't know how much does it cost b) don't remember the site's url
.:: AMD Athlon XP 1700+ :: 512MB SDRAM :: Windows XP SP1 :: shappire ATI radeon 9600 PRO :: Soundblaster Live Player 5.1 :: Directx 9.0 :: (Always latest drivers for everything) ::.
hpman77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2001, 12:08 AM   #190
Digital Lungfish
Obey the toad!

Re: Screencam?

"sweet water fishes"

That's the first time I've ever heard that term applied to fresh water fish, seems a bit odd.

- Digital
Steve
www.tron-sector.com - www.badcartridge.com - www.classicgaming.com - www.dinofish.com
Old 04-26-2001, 04:25 AM   #191
Tiny Turtle
is pleased

27 Highscores

In Europe they speak European, - right!

Not really. All languages are not variations on English. The direct translation of the Swedish word for fresh water ( sötvatten) would be sweet water too (actually it would be sweetwater since we compound words a lot here...

The German word for it is Süßwasser (pronounced "syecewahsser") where süß means sweet and fresh would be frisch.

If I'm not mistaking myself, it's the same way around with the Spanish language, which would explain Helpman's choice of words. Dulce agua means fresh water, but dulce is sweet and fresh is translated into fresco, right?

Am I still the only one who would like a multilingual version of the SS?

/Tiny
Thanks to Morgan, Tiny Snapshots is up and running again with "Tiny Järvafält" as the latest addition – Go have a look and tell me what you think.

"We knew the world would not be the same. A few people laughed, a few people cried, most people were silent.
I remembered the line from the Hindu scripture, the Bhagavad-Gita. Vishnu is trying to persuade the Prince that he should do his duty and to impress him takes on his multi-armed form and says,
" /Robert Oppenheimer on witnessing the first thermonuclear detonation in history.
Old 04-26-2001, 12:26 PM   #192

Re:Multilingual

I would also like the multilingual version as an add
and for the Swedish one I've tried to collect the Swedish names of the fishes.

Maskarill-Addis Butterflyfish
Clownfisk or Falsk clown-Percula Clownfish
Clown Tryckarfisk-Clown Trigger
Kopparbandad fjärilsfisk-Copperbanded Butterflyfish
Elddvärgskejsare-Flame Angelfish
Gul pincett-Forceps Butterfly
Fransk Ängelfisk-French Angelfish
Trådfjärilsfisk-Golden Butterflyfish
Vitbröstad Kirurg-Powder Blue Tang
Drottningfjärilsfisk-Queen Angelfish
Palettkirurg-Regal Tang
Gramma loreto-Royal Gramma
Vimpelfisk-Wimplefish
Gul kirurg or Gul doktor-Yellow Tang
Blå kirurg or Blå doktor-Purple Sailfin Tang
Picasso tryckarfisk-Picasso Trigger

Bye the way,Tiny Turtle,I've never been to the Aquarium you've mentioned, but have you seen the Tropicarium at Kolmården? Amazing one with a great tank with the great white Carcharadon Carcharias.
There are also piranhas and sting-rays, crocodiles, all kinds of fish.

Ingo
Old 04-26-2001, 01:03 PM   #193
Tiny Turtle
is pleased

27 Highscores

Tropicarium

Ingo!

It seems like someone's exaggerated a little bit when they told you about Tropicarium. The largest sharks they keep there are Sand tiger sharks - Odontaspis taurus (Carcharhinus taurus). As far as I know, noone has ever been able to keep a Great White in captivity, but if I'm wrong, I'm sure someone in this community will enlighten me.

Anyway, Tropicarium seems like a interesting aquarium and I'll visit it as soon as I find enough free time. Thanks for the tip!

I don't know where in Sweden you live, but if you happen to be in the vicinities of el Stockholmo, I recommend you to take a trip to Djurgården and visit Aquaria. It's in the old Wasa museum next to Gröna Lund. They've got this Green Moray Eel that is just huge! He didn't swim around in the tank but the three feet of him that was out of the cave for me to see were absolutely massive!

/Tiny

Old 04-26-2001, 03:30 PM   #194
Digital Lungfish
Obey the toad!

Re: In Europe they speak European, - right!

Oh I fully understand how certain words don't always make a direct translation across some languages, I guess I just found it rather strange that the word "sweet" would be applied to fresh water (even when translated). Even though it seems a bit strange to me, I still find it very interesting just the same!

- Digital
Steve
Old 04-26-2001, 03:58 PM   #195
Tiny Turtle
is pleased

27 Highscores

Re: In Europe they speak European, - right!

I just read my own post about sweet vs fresh and I must say the tone of it sounds (looks?) a bit harsh. That was never my intention and I hope you're not offended by my answer.

Yours

/Calle

Old 04-27-2001, 05:52 AM   #196

Re:Sharks

Tiny Turtle you're right about the sharks, they have "sandtigerhajar" and other smaller sharks, but not the great white.
I'm living in the middle of Sweden, Mariestad but come from "Skåne".
Ingo
Old 04-28-2001, 11:19 PM   #197

lighting ripple effect

I know shadows are not realistic, but wouldn't the ripple effect that appears on the coral also appear on the fish to some extent.

When the fish get personalities, will they interact with each other at all (except for the schooling fish.)? For instance, when a timid fish gets too close to an aggressive fish it would swim away quickly and the aggressive fish would follow it for a second.

Every thing else that I would like to see has been covered already.

I love this program. I have only registered a few programs online before and up until now they have all been utilities

Thanks,
Paul
Old 04-29-2001, 04:58 AM   #198
Tiny Turtle
is pleased

27 Highscores

The unbearable lightness of shadows

About those shadows:
I recently checked out a quite large tank (21,000 gallons) at Stockholm's "Aquaria" museum. There the fishes definately had shadows that were visible if they were closer than about five or six inches to the reef floor. This applied only to the smaller fish like regal tangs or the beautiful copperband butterfly they had. The five feet sharks left shadows even though they were swimming at the top of the tank (ten feet above the bottom).

Did they have a different kind of light at this place or what?

/Tiny

Old 04-29-2001, 11:00 AM   #199

Re: The unbearable lightness of shadows

and how about lighting that alters with your PC clock? so that it changes subtly as the day progresses,

apologies if this is already on here somewhere but I haven't the time to slog through ten pages of wishlists on a 'call gapping' BT line and 56k modem on a ezboard server, it all just adds up to way to slow I have to talk Anita into having ADSL (she needs it she just doesn't know yet)

can't wait for the squid or whatever for those who register before the beta is up get, and how about pirrahna fish to nibble at the others? you could have 7 fish one day and then 6 the next etc.

I used to have a tank when I was a kid but had to sell it when I grew bored (as you do when you're a kid) it wasn't tropical or salt I think it was one of those 'win at the local fairground' type of fish and then I got a few more to keep it company, you know I cannot even remember what I called them! so this is a fantastic maintenance free alternative,

err... I hope I am not the only one here to actually give the fish names, in fact I may even start naming the SS fish :/
Old 04-29-2001, 11:27 AM   #200
Coelacanth
Thought to be Extinct

Re: The Sachs Aquarium WISHLIST

I'm surprised that no one has requested one of my favorite fish, the long-horned cowfish. OK, it's not really a reef aquarium fish (it should be kept in a fish-only tank), but then again, neither are clown triggers!

Other ideas:
1. Horseshoe crab
2. Bristleworms! (yes, they ARE part of any reef tank)
3. Jawfish that burrow in the gravel
4. "Cleanup crew" animals like blue-legged hermit crabs
5. A wider choice of backgrounds -- or the ability to aquascape your own tank, using different live rock and coral objects.
6. Pulsing Xenia
7. Free-swimming comb jellies, which would put on a light show when the tank goes dark. (Hey, jellyfish-keeping is popular in Japan, so this isn't too far-fetched.)
8. Pipefish
9. Grunt Sculpin. (OK, you can't buy this species in a pet store. But if you've ever seen one -- like those at the Long Beach Aquarium -- you know how goofy they look and how interesting they are.)
10. Catalina Goby
Coelacanth is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum > SereneScreen Products > Marine Aquarium 3 for Windows