Home Register Arcade Gallery Chatroom Members Today's Posts Log In
Go Back   Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum > SereneScreen Products > Marine Aquarium 3 for Windows > Marine Aquarium 2 for Windows Archive
Notices

Old 07-05-2002, 06:27 PM   #161
Mountainmaster
Liopleurodon

cjmaddy,
I'm afraid it is you. I did not change anything about the icons. There is nothing wrong here on my system. Maybe your icon cache is corrupted? If you don't have a tool to correct that I would suggest the best and also free tweaking tool X-Setup: http://www.xteq.com/products/xset/
Mountainmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2002, 06:54 AM   #162
cjmaddy
Registered

Mountainmaster,
This is strange. All other icons are present and correct. I have run the Rebuild Icons utility on the Repair tab in Tweak UI. I already had a copy of Xteq X-Setup, so I have used it to increase the Icon Cache size to max. I still have all your previous versions of fish picker on my comp, in different folders. So a search using 'Find' reveals 23 copies of picker.exe - (yes, I know I'm mad !) - and all show the fish icon except 2.4.5, which shows the default icon of a window. This isn't a problem, as I can easily use the 'Change Icon' button to change to an icon from a previous version, but why am I seeing that window icon ? .... strange !
I have made a fresh download - no different !

If it's me, forget it ! ..... I just thought it was a minor glitch.

cjmaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2002, 08:36 AM   #163
Mountainmaster
Liopleurodon

cjmaddy,
Strange indeed. Your workaround should work fine but unfortunately that does not affect the tray icon I suppose.
I can even extract the icon from the program with Microangelo, so it is definitely there. I also tested the zipfile, but it does not contain any errors. Just in case I made a new one and uploaded it. Could you download again? If the problem remains I will recompile the program.
Old 07-06-2002, 01:54 PM   #164
cjmaddy
Registered

Mountainmaster,
The plot thickens, (and has taken about 4 hours to unfold !) - I realise now, that last night when I got the '... contains no icons' message, all I had done was change the Target on the Shortcut tab of Properties, to the new folder containing the ver 2.4.5 picker.exe - (and I then got told that the 'program contained no icons') - also the picker.exe program was listed with the default window icon. (not it's usual small fish).
I did not actually launch the 2.4.5 Fish Picker ! .... I started the aquarium from its own desk top icon.
Then today ....
Double clicking on the 2.4.5 picker.exe in its folder, or the desk top icon, revealed - 'picker.exe is not a valid Win32 application.' - whilst double clicking the latest vesion downloaded today, stated - 'This program has performed an illegal operation and will shut down. ..... etc' - followed by - 'PICKER caused an invalid page fault in module <unknown> ...etc'
Double clicking on all earlier version of picker.exe appeared to work normally.
THEN ............................Success !
I reverted back to ver 2.4 of Fish Picker.
Restarted my computer.
Reset Fish Picker (from the Help menu)
Deleted all files from the 2.4 folder.
Restored the Aquarium (with the R key)
Restarted my computer again.
Went to the folder containing ver 2.4.5 of Fish Picker.
Deleted all files (which included the picker.exe without the fish icon) .... except picker.zip
Re-extracted the files for ver 2.4.5 from picker.zip
Success, picker.exe now appears with small fish icon, and is valid !

I think the moral here is .... Don't keep multiple copies of a program with the same name ?

Since the very first version of Fish Picker, all I have done at every update (and I've downloaded them all) is simply change the Properties to the new Target. ...... I've got away with it in the past, but maybe this was a version too far.

Incidentally, the version that you asked me to download today, is still showing the wrong icon, and is invalid. I bet if I delete the files and re-extract, the file will now revert to normal ............... Yes it does ! - How do you explain that ?

cjmaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2002, 05:07 PM   #165
Tiny Turtle
is pleased

27 Highscores

Wow 67, that's one thick plot, I tell you (or actually – you told me...)

/Tiny Thickening
Thanks to Morgan, Tiny Snapshots is up and running again with "Tiny Järvafält" as the latest addition – Go have a look and tell me what you think.

"We knew the world would not be the same. A few people laughed, a few people cried, most people were silent.
I remembered the line from the Hindu scripture, the Bhagavad-Gita. Vishnu is trying to persuade the Prince that he should do his duty and to impress him takes on his multi-armed form and says,
'Now, I am become Death, the destroyer of worlds.'
I suppose we all thought that, one way or another.
" /Robert Oppenheimer on witnessing the first thermonuclear detonation in history.
Tiny Turtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2002, 05:28 PM   #166
patscarr
Pet Shark

1 Highscore

Truly awesome work Mountainmaster! 2.4 is the best yet! Keep 'em coming!
Patrick
patscarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2002, 03:27 PM   #167
Mountainmaster
Liopleurodon

Keep 'em coming!
By sheer coincidence I just finished version 2.5 today. It adds a 'quickres' feature to the tray menu. http://home.wanadoo.nl/sfinx98/progs/picker.zip
Old 07-21-2002, 12:53 PM   #168
Mountainmaster
Liopleurodon

Very small update. Just fixed a few minor bugs that probably no one noticed.
Fish Picker 2.5.2: http://home.wanadoo.nl/sfinx98/progs/picker.zip
Old 07-30-2002, 02:15 PM   #169
Chip
Registered

Hi Mountainmaster,

I'm sorry but I can't start your nice program.

I've got this message box when I open the picker.exe

CU Chip
Attached Images
File Type: jpg failure.jpg (8.9 KB, 407 views)
Chip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2002, 02:30 PM   #170
feldon34
Forum Administrator

I'd like to list this program on the fan website if you're up for it, Mountainmaster.
"Journalism is printing what someone else does not want printed. Everything else is public relations." - George Orwell
"If voting changed anything, they'd make it illegal." - Emma Goldman
feldon34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2002, 04:48 PM   #171
Mountainmaster
Liopleurodon

Chip,
You must have a pretty good video card then. The program checks all available resolutions but the maximum is now set to 136, after that it runs out of range. I guessed 136 was enough but it seems I was wrong. I will add a couple of hundred more and some kind of error handling maybe.

Morgan,
That would be great, go ahead.
Old 07-30-2002, 05:23 PM   #172
Mountainmaster
Liopleurodon

Chip,
I did a quick fix. There is still a limit but I raised it from 136 to 720 resolutions. Can you try this new version and tell me if it works for you?
Fish Picker 2.5.3: http://home.wanadoo.nl/sfinx98/progs/picker.zip
Old 07-30-2002, 11:39 PM   #173
Chip
Registered

Great Work !
Now I can run your program... and I really like it.

My video card is a NVIDA Geforce 4 MX 460.

Thx Chip
Chip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2002, 09:32 PM   #174
Mountainmaster
Liopleurodon

Updated Fish Picker, version 2.5.5: http://home.wanadoo.nl/sfinx98/progs/picker.zip
A few minor tweaks in the starfish settings panel.
Old 08-25-2002, 02:46 AM   #175
EVERRET
Leopard Shark

10 Highscores

Thumbs Down FISHPICKER

WOW, great job Mountainmaster. I just downloaded it today and all is perfect. Everyone who hasn't tried this should check this out! I am useing this now to launch my aquarium.
EVERRET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2002, 01:19 AM   #176
memilm
Registered

Could you make some presettings for switching the Lights, like you made for the starfish, with some fix points for foreground and background?
memilm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2002, 07:05 PM   #177
Mountainmaster
Liopleurodon

Could you make some presettings for switching the Lights
Sure, why not. However, I am still not sure how to implement this. I prefer sliders plus a small window that shows the resulting color over a limited number of fixed presets. But it would be much harder that way, because I would have to figure out how the aquarium blends the colors, and which combinations are blocked (try setting it to pitch black and you'll see what I mean).
Old 08-29-2002, 12:18 AM   #178
memilm
Registered

I saw, that when you click left or right to slider(not drag it), the slider jump in the next position (thre are 6 or 7 fixed position for this). For first it were enough these fixed position of the sliders to implement and no small windows.
When you want to implement some sliders, you can try something like >>"Display-Properties", Appearance, Item-Desktop, Color, Other, pick a blue dot on the large field, and take a look at the right sliderbar<<, with nothing about the final colour what the aquarium combinate.
memilm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2002, 05:22 PM   #179
Mountainmaster
Liopleurodon

memilm,
I see. That must be the LargeChange property of the slider object. Pressing PageUp or PageDown has the same effect. But for now I will abandon the slider idea because I can't figure out the right blending algorithm. Just to show what I meant I made this demo, a common RGB blender: http://home.wanadoo.nl/sfinx98/progs/colslide.zip
If the demo does not work it is because it misses the proper activex control on your sytem. That is another reason why I don't want to use sliders. (Yes, I know it is possible without activex but I haven't found the code to do that in VB)

So it is going to be fixed presets. I am thinking of an interface with small clickable thumbnails of different lighting settings.
Old 08-31-2002, 08:41 AM   #180
clifdene
Registered

Angry Mountainmaster's Picker

I have just discovered this program. It is simply superb. Very many thanks. I am very grateful.
clifdene is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum > SereneScreen Products > Marine Aquarium 3 for Windows > Marine Aquarium 2 for Windows Archive