Home Register Arcade Gallery Chatroom Members Today's Posts Log In
Go Back   Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum > SereneScreen Products > Marine Aquarium 3 for Windows > Marine Aquarium 2 for Windows Archive
Notices

Old 03-11-2002, 06:37 AM   #1
sonichouse
Registered

v1.1 changing desktop resolution on restore

Searched the archives, could not find any references to my problem, so apologies if it has been reported.

When v1.1 of the screensaver exits, my desktop resolution is not restored. It appears to be random, I have tried setting resoltion to "Desktop" and "1280", however, upon exit, my desktop resolution is restored to a random setting.

I am running
Win2K SP2 (build 2195)
DirectX 8.0 (4.08.00.0400)
Matrox Millenium G400 16MB (4.00.1381.0001)
desktop resolution 1280x1024 (16 Bit 75Mhz)

Love the saver, keep up the good work Jim.
sonichouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2002, 10:16 AM   #2
feldon34
Forum Administrator

Second report of this happening. So you are coming back at 1024x768 or some other size? Or is it changing the color depth? Or are your icons changing to 256 colors?
"Journalism is printing what someone else does not want printed. Everything else is public relations." - George Orwell
"If voting changed anything, they'd make it illegal." - Emma Goldman
feldon34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2002, 10:29 AM   #3
sonichouse
Registered

The color depth seems to be unchanged, but I either get a resolution of 1152x864 or 1600x1200 and the refresh rate gets chopped to a painful 60Hz.

The only thing I can add, is that it is not every time, and going back into the Aquarium seems to restore to my 1280 resolution as requested.

Seems only to happen when invoked in screensaver mode, running the application direct seems to be OK.

Last edited by sonichouse; 03-11-2002 at 10:32 AM.
sonichouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2002, 01:13 AM   #4
FishyBusiness
Registered

1 Highscore

I experienced this problem too. Although, it was not random. I could repeatedly duplicate this problem. Here were my findings:

When I have Password Protect enabled, let the aquarium auto start, and hit ctrl-alt-del, the wallpaper stays intact but the resolution and coloring DOES NOT reset itself to the desktop resolution and coloring. Example: If I run the aquarium at 1600x1200x16, then that is what the desktop stays at even though the desktop was set at 1280x960x32. I have only experienced this with Builds 1.10a and 1.1.2. With the other builds, the wallpaper would disappear when I would crtl-alt-del WITH the password protect enabled.

When I had posted this, I forgot to mention that my refresh rate does return to 60Hz. I have to manually set everything back to the way I like it. Also, the desktop just retains what ever resoltuion and color that the aquarium was sent to.
Frank
FishyBusiness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2002, 01:13 PM   #5
harakan
Registered

I have also seen this, and found a (sort of) workaround.

The problem occurs when you have SereneScreen set to NOT return on mouseclick/any key. For some reason, SereneScreen doesn't handle an external close event properly (bug for Jim to fix one day).

The workaround is to ALWAYS press ESCAPE before control-alt-delete to unlock the machine. The escape key will close the screensaver properly, returning the desktop to the normal resolution/colour depth/frequency. You can then press control-alt-delete to unlock it and log in.

Hope this helps!
harakan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2002, 07:57 AM   #6
Yellow Tang
YT

Tournaments Won: 1

Yes, same situation here, first press escape, then
control-alt-delete, otherwise the resolution is changed sometimes, then I have to start the ss again, press escape - and everything is restored.
Yellow Tang is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum > SereneScreen Products > Marine Aquarium 3 for Windows > Marine Aquarium 2 for Windows Archive