Home Register Arcade Gallery Chatroom Members Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Log In
Go Back   Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum > SereneScreen Products > Marine Aquarium 3 for Windows
Notices

Old 01-01-2009, 07:30 AM   #1
harris
Registered

Letterbox and A Few Days Off

I'm not sure which tread this question should be asked in as the "MA3 comments" thread hasn't been active for almost a month, and there are so many other threads it's a little confusing. I'll try here first.

I searched and could not find any discussion about this. I do not use multi-monitors and still use a 4.3 ratio CRT monitor. Will the final version of MA3 have a widescreen capability (using black bars) on a 4.3 monitor like version 2.6 has?

I really miss seeing most of MA3's fantastic background without having to use the panning option. I've been a registered user since the .99 days and it has been very interesting and enjoyable to watch its development through the years.

Thanks.

P.S. Happy New Year!

Last edited by harris; 01-01-2009 at 09:14 AM.
harris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2009, 08:27 AM   #2
cjmaddy
Registered

harris,

I think I can safely say that there won't be an option to see the full width as in 2.6. - The problem is that MA3 is so wide!

You can recreate the effect of seeing the full width by changing to windowed mode, then sizing the window to full screen width and adjusting the height until the whole of MA3 is visible. - The window size will be remembered, and you can also choose the 'Start In Windowed Mode' from the settings panel. - That way you may have what you are looking for! - But it will be a very small, (in height), MA3!

.............. Happy New Year! ... Everyone!

ps, ... Perhaps a compromise is the answer? - something like this...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg MA3_wideish2_1280x600.jpg (801.0 KB, 54 views)
cjmaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2009, 09:29 AM   #3
harris
Registered

Originally posted by cjmaddy:
harris,

I think I can safely say that there won't be an option to see the full width as in 2.6. - The problem is that MA3 is so wide!

You can recreate the effect of seeing the full width by changing to windowed mode, then sizing the window to full screen width and adjusting the height until the whole of MA3 is visible. - The window size will be remembered, and you can also choose the 'Start In Windowed Mode' from the settings panel. - That way you may have what you are looking for! - But it will be a very small, (in height), MA3!

.............. Happy New Year! ... Everyone!

ps, ... Perhaps a compromise is the answer? - something like this...  
Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately that causes the effect Jim dreads - desktop icons appearing with his masterpiece! It destroys the perception of realism that he tries so hard to maintain.

Oh, well. Maybe this will cause me to buy a widesceen display.
Old 01-01-2009, 02:15 PM   #4
harris
Registered

Jim;

Thank you for being so understanding. I feel bad for lengthening the wish list, but it will be a nice feature for those of us dinosaurs still using a 4.3 ratio monitor.

Thanks again, and Happy New Year!
Old 01-01-2009, 03:06 PM   #5
Dale
Banned

Originally posted by harris:
Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately that causes the effect Jim dreads - desktop icons appearing with his masterpiece! It destroys the perception of realism that he tries so hard to maintain.

Dread may be eliminated - just don't produce anything.

A scientist or engineer invents something, but after it's produced, has no control over how it is used.

An artist creates something, but after it's legitimately copied, has no control over how or where they are used.

Consider "Mona Lisa" or "Scream".
Dale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2009, 03:36 PM   #6
Jim Sachs
Developer

Those works are by dead artists whose works are in the public domain. A copyright holder has a lot of control over how his creation is used. Just try opening a pre-school with Micky Mouse as its logo.
Jim Sachs
Creator of SereneScreen Aquarium
Jim Sachs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2009, 06:23 PM   #7
Dale
Banned

Originally posted by Jim Sachs:
Those works are by dead artists whose works are in the public domain. A copyright holder has a lot of control over how his creation is used. Just try opening a pre-school with Micky Mouse as its logo.  
Sure. But the pre-school can legally hang purchased Mickey merchandise. I just saw a Disney-licensed "baby changing pad" with Mickeys on it - and if someone buys one, they can do whatever they want with it.

I can buy Disney-licensed computer "wallpaper". Could Disney prevent me from running it, if I have a bunch of icons on my screen?

How much control do you have over where MA2.6 is run? Can you prevent a licensed copy from being used in a Nevada "ranch"? Can you prevent someone from adding an obscene logo?

It's possible to grab a screen-shot of MA, and use it as computer "wallpaper". Perhaps that's contrary to the license? But you can't prevent it. If somebody figures out how to use MA3 as Vista DreamScene, you can't prevent it.

I understand your artistic objection to having MA "corrupted" (pick your own words) by having icons pasted on it, or whatever else might change the really great results of your years of work.

My point was, that after you sell something, you have very little control over how the purchaser uses it. If the purchaser finds a "misuse" that you never envisioned, and that you don't like -- nothing practical can be done.

So, do great art, release it to appreciative fans, and don't worry about the results.
Old 01-01-2009, 06:39 PM   #8
harris
Registered

Old 01-01-2009, 06:47 PM   #9
Jim Sachs
Developer

I'm taking a couple of days off.
Jim Sachs
Creator of SereneScreen Aquarium
Jim Sachs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2009, 07:52 PM   #10
feldon34
Forum Administrator

Good job Dale.
"Journalism is printing what someone else does not want printed. Everything else is public relations." - George Orwell
"If voting changed anything, they'd make it illegal." - Emma Goldman
feldon34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2009, 09:08 PM   #11
Tiny Turtle
is pleased

27 Highscores

Originally posted by feldon32:
Good job Dale.  
I was thinking the same.
Thanks to Morgan, Tiny Snapshots is up and running again with "Tiny Järvafält" as the latest addition – Go have a look and tell me what you think.

"We knew the world would not be the same. A few people laughed, a few people cried, most people were silent.
I remembered the line from the Hindu scripture, the Bhagavad-Gita. Vishnu is trying to persuade the Prince that he should do his duty and to impress him takes on his multi-armed form and says,
'Now, I am become Death, the destroyer of worlds.'
I suppose we all thought that, one way or another.
" /Robert Oppenheimer on witnessing the first thermonuclear detonation in history.
Tiny Turtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2009, 09:26 PM   #12
feldon34
Forum Administrator

I think Dale thinks this is the customer service department and he can just say anything he wants and the service rep is just supposed to take it.
"Journalism is printing what someone else does not want printed. Everything else is public relations." - George Orwell
Old 01-01-2009, 10:28 PM   #13
Dale
Banned

I think Dale thinks this is the customer service department and he can just say anything he wants and the service rep is just supposed to take it.  
I thought this was a forum. SereneScreen Forum > > Marine Aquarium 3 Beta Test Forum. http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/forum

I think I should speak the truth, and/or state my opinion (clearly identified as opinion).

If I do otherwise, please tell me.

I thought this was a place for discussion of issues pertaining to MA3. If discussion is not allowed, please tell me.

If I have presented a truth, and that hurts, ......... in my opinion, it's better to discuss the truth, than to ignore it.

Note: I did not mistake this for the customer service department.

Oh, and my intended point was that Jim should just continue satisfying himself as an artist, without worrying about how people will view or display his art.
Old 01-01-2009, 10:40 PM   #14
feldon34
Forum Administrator

You will find that you do not have a unique license on the truth.
Old 01-01-2009, 10:46 PM   #15
Dale
Banned

Are you prepared for the truth to flow both ways?  
I believe so, but I might be mistaken.

Note that a previous criticism in this forum (as I recall, by you), resulted in me dropping a subject totally.

I recognize the truth that this is your forum, and you can kick me off at any time.
Old 01-01-2009, 10:50 PM   #16
Dale
Banned

You will find that you do not have a unique license on the truth.  
Huh?
Old 01-02-2009, 08:14 AM   #17
patscarr
Pet Shark

1 Highscore

Don't worry about it, Dale. I think Jim was just joking about taking a couple days off.
Patrick
patscarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 09:40 AM   #18
Dale
Banned

Originally posted by patscarr:
Don't worry about it, Dale. I think Jim was just joking about taking a couple days off.  
Hey, if anybody deserves to take some time off, it's Jim. It seems to me that he has been working at least 12+ hours, 7 days per week, on MA3. And doing it out here where everybody can watch (but not see the difficulties).

And in his spare time, discussing things with us.

But I did not take Jim's comment negatively.

Thanks.
Old 01-04-2009, 02:27 AM   #19
Mith
Registered

(Mith walks around to each member and slaps the back of their head)

Enough! lol
Mith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 11:14 AM   #20
Nicki
Sugar Plum Fairy

I agree with Mith . It seems Jim has the patience of a saint , but even saints have their breaking point . We should always treat him with the utmost respect .
Nicki is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum > SereneScreen Products > Marine Aquarium 3 for Windows