Home Register Arcade Gallery Chatroom Members Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Log In
Go Back   Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum > SereneScreen Products > Future: Freshwater Aquarium
Notices

Old 08-16-2002, 02:53 AM   #1
Adora
Registered

Compatability

Okay, here's the compatability thread. Tell us if people will be able to put nippy tiger barbs with long-finned angelfish who love to munch on neon tetras...and go ahead and throw in an oscar 'cause he's "cute."

Also, what is the "target" size for this tank? 55 gallons-ish? (I know there's perspective involved here, too) If all fish CAN be mixed, then what will happen with relative size (like the neons vs. an oscar or arowana)? Will the neons look like giants to show up, or will the larger fish be way scaled down? (maybe someone will understand that, it's 3:30 am..... )

Maybe there could be a "real" mode and then a "fantasy" mode. In the real mode, less aggressive fish in an improperly mixed tank would slowly disappear, but everybody lives in the fantasy mode!

-L
Will you be my kitty?
Adora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2002, 04:16 AM   #2
Tiny Turtle
is pleased

27 Highscores

What has been mentioned earlier on the issue of compatibility is that absolute realism when it comes to behaviour will have to stand down in favor of visually pleasing fish. The Saltwater version already have some fish that wouldn't work out too well in a live tank. That lionfish, for instance, would have fun snacking on some of the smaller species (Check the avatar image of forum member "Socrates" to see what I mean). The upcoming (no, I don't know when) creature packs supposedly will include a (or maybe even several) moray eel(s) aswell as a octopus. Not the best combination although Mr. Moray would be excited...

As for size, the saltwater tank is inhabited by juvenile specimens (note that the lionfish doesn't sport the typical "horns" on the forhead that adult ones have). Neons/Cardinals/whatever as small enough to come in adult size, but an Arrowana would obviously be something of a fry if it was to make it to the SS (No thumbs up or down on that one yet).

I wouldn't get my hopes up too high on a "real mode". Jim's been pretty adamant about keeping this serene with no violence whatsoever

/Tiny Compatibility

"We knew the world would not be the same. A few people laughed, a few people cried, most people were silent.
I remembered the line from the Hindu scripture, the Bhagavad-Gita. Vishnu is trying to persuade the Prince that he should do his duty and to impress him takes on his multi-armed form and says,
'Now, I am become Death, the destroyer of worlds.'
I suppose we all thought that, one way or another.
" /Robert Oppenheimer on witnessing the first thermonuclear detonation in history.
Tiny Turtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2002, 07:17 AM   #3
BlueWinterWaves
Registered

The only negative consequence I could see from Jim's strategy is the possibility that people that get Jim's aquarium may be then inspired to set up a real tank, and they'll try to set it up with the same fish they liked in the program -- and end up with something a bit less than "serene."

Then again, if the extent of your research into fish compatibility is only what you've seen in a screensaver, then you're pretty stupid. But I've seen people in fish stores act just about that stupid!
BlueWinterWaves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2002, 07:34 AM   #4
Tiny Turtle
is pleased

27 Highscores

"I tried to make it fool-proof – but they keep inventing a better fool"
Thanks to Morgan, Tiny Snapshots is up and running again with "Tiny Järvafält" as the latest addition – Go have a look and tell me what you think.

"We knew the world would not be the same. A few people laughed, a few people cried, most people were silent.
I remembered the line from the Hindu scripture, the Bhagavad-Gita. Vishnu is trying to persuade the Prince that he should do his duty and to impress him takes on his multi-armed form and says,
" /Robert Oppenheimer on witnessing the first thermonuclear detonation in history.
Old 08-16-2002, 09:55 AM   #5
feldon34
Forum Administrator

The Freshwater version of the Aquarium may have information about each fish in the Settings panel. Perhaps compatibility information could be put in there.
"Journalism is printing what someone else does not want printed. Everything else is public relations." - George Orwell
"If voting changed anything, they'd make it illegal." - Emma Goldman
feldon34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2002, 04:50 PM   #6
Adora
Registered

Hehe...okay, then instead of fantasy mode, then how 'bout compatibility mode, where non-compatible fish simply cannot be put together? Fewer people know about saltwater fish (in my opinion...may not be true), and it may bug some hard core enthusiasts out there to know that some people may think that all those fish can leave peacefully with each other. As a pet store employee, I beg that there is at least some information about the fish in the program.

-L
Will you be my kitty?
Adora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2002, 07:26 AM   #7
Tiny Turtle
is pleased

27 Highscores

Sounds like a good idea about the Settings panel...

/Tiny Improvement
Thanks to Morgan, Tiny Snapshots is up and running again with "Tiny Järvafält" as the latest addition – Go have a look and tell me what you think.

Go Back   Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum > SereneScreen Products > Future: Freshwater Aquarium