Home Register Arcade Gallery Chatroom Members Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Log In
Go Back   Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum > SereneScreen Products > Future: Freshwater Aquarium
Notices

Old 05-24-2003, 10:13 PM   #141
Jim Sachs
Developer

There won't be guppies. Anybody out there with real tropicals?
Jim Sachs
Creator of SereneScreen Aquarium
Jim Sachs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2003, 10:23 PM   #142
klyntun

Jim,
In my experience with freshwater tropicals (it's been a few years, but I remember some things), periodically pretty much all the fish would expand their gills like they were stretching. Not all at the same time, but now and then. Otherwise I don't remember a lot of gill movement, especially on the small fish like neons where it would be hard to see anyway unless it was very pronounced. Of course, Bettas do some major gill action when posturing, but really only then if I remember right.
I agree though that some gill movement, even once in a while, is important for realisticity. Speaking of real though, ragged nipped fins and various diseases are pretty real, but probably not desireable in the tank. I can live without gill movement (yeah, I know I don't have gills anyway; good thing), since I really don't see any in the MA and it sure looks real to me.
Old 05-25-2003, 12:37 AM   #143
Jim Sachs
Developer

Nearly all the fish in the MA will have gill movement when I do the re-design. In watching saltwater fish, I've noticed that they really do some heavy breathing. It's just over the last few days that I've noticed that the freshwater fish in these videos do not. Even in extreme closeups for long periods of time, virtually no gill movement is detectable in any of the 20-or-so species filmed. Angelfish were notably absent, though.
Jim Sachs
Old 05-25-2003, 10:02 AM   #144
ESHIREY
Smilie Dragon

hehehehehe I have a 55gal tank with Real fresh water fish .Don't get me wrong , in the past I had swardtails , tigerbarbs , zebra and mollies , and so on . To me those are beginner fish . The angels and Discus were sweet . (the discus is the King of the fresh water tank ) I had a 55gal of just Discus for about 5 years .

Anyway , back to my tank . I have 2 Green Severn's (they move there mouth and gills all the time ),a firemouth (the same with him) , A Convict (the same with him) A Blue acara (moves mouth and gills a little , not as much as the others) , 2 Plecostomus 1 is an albino (they move there mouth only a little when sitting still .But when they are on the glass or eating there mouth goes like grazy) And A Green terror (moves his mouth and gills slowly) . I know I only have 6 fish and 2 bottom dwellers , but I had these fish a long time ago and knew how big they get . Which they are all full grown now.

Anyway I hope this helps .
Thank you for taking the time to read this.
ESHIREY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2003, 10:51 AM   #145
Jim Sachs
Developer

Thanks - yes, it does help.
Jim Sachs
Old 05-25-2003, 10:55 AM   #146
IXNAY
Green Frog

Yeah, I remember my guppies doing the same...
IXNAY

*dreaming of the serene terrarium*

- My Private Homepage -
IXNAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2003, 11:12 AM   #147
Jim Sachs
Developer

No guppies.
Jim Sachs
Old 05-25-2003, 12:19 PM   #148
cjmaddy
Registered

It's been some years now since I had my Freshwater Tropicals, but I did keep fish for many years. My memory is of how large the gill movements can at times be, particularly with Angel fish! - Also they could open their mouths alarmingly wide! - (enough to swallow a Neon!) - and at times I'm afraid they did !!!
I agree with what others have said, - that the gill movement is not always obvious with some fish, and varies over time. - ...... But they all have to breathe!

Have you not got a Tropical Fish store you could visit?

Edit! - Jim, Why not put a few fish in that tank you have?
cjmaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2003, 01:26 PM   #149
IXNAY
Green Frog

Hum, why no guppies??? Aren't they typical freshwatertank inhabitants???
IXNAY

*dreaming of the serene terrarium*

- My Private Homepage -
IXNAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2003, 09:43 PM   #150
Jim Sachs
Developer

Guppies and goldfish are not tropical fish.
Jim Sachs
Old 05-25-2003, 09:49 PM   #151
Jim Sachs
Developer

Cliff - I did go to an aquarium store today, and observed many species very closely. Even on VERY close inspection I could barely detect any mouth or gill movement associated with breathing, even with angelfish. The only exception was a freshwater puffer that was very active, and did have a little gill movement.

I'm thinking it may be a function of how much oxygen is present in the water. As long as there are a lot of bubbles, the fish seem to get enough O2 without any gill movement.
Jim Sachs
Old 05-25-2003, 11:59 PM   #152
feldon34
Forum Administrator

There seem to be whole websites dedicated just to the temperature range in which guppies can live.

They do seem to be happy in the same temperature range (75-85) as all the other fish in the Freshwater tank, compared to the 65-70 of goldfish.

http://home.clara.net/xenotoca/temperat.htm

Not trying to challenge anything, just that, realistically, they would thrive in the Freshwater Aquarium.
"Journalism is printing what someone else does not want printed. Everything else is public relations." - George Orwell
"If voting changed anything, they'd make it illegal." - Emma Goldman
feldon34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2003, 02:22 AM   #153
Yellow Tang
YT

Tournaments Won: 1

Wouldn't that be a nice feature: if you turn off the bubbles the fish begin to move their gills.
No, wait, this is not a simulation. They have enough oxygen, even with no bubbles!
Yellow Tang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2003, 04:20 AM   #154
cjmaddy
Registered

Jim, - I think you could have a point there! - In my large main tank I never had an air stone, (ie. bubbles), because I always used under gravel filtration. - That type of filter just has a slow column of large bubbles rising up inside a tube in the corner of the tank. It's a very good system, particularly for plants! ...... But maybe my fish were always gasping for breath!!! ...... They always lived a long time though!

Either that, or my memory is going! ...... It was 1960 - 1980 ! ...... Sorry!

A point about Guppies!
Guppies and goldfish are not tropical fish.
Here in the UK Guppies have always been regarded as tropical, true they can stand lower temperatures, but here cold water means cold water! ..... Goldfish live under the ice in our garden ponds in winter, hence the need for a deep area in the pond! ....... We don't only have ice in our refrigerators!
Old 05-26-2003, 04:46 AM   #155
Wizwad
Only me...

Originally posted by cjmaddy
but here cold water means cold water! ..... Goldfish live under the ice in our garden ponds in winter, hence the need for a deep area in the pond! ....... We don't only have ice in our refrigerators!
LOL

You tell 'em, Cliff! Especially those living in places like Florida and California! Honestly, they don't know they're born!
Mark
-----------
Intel i7 12700K | Aorus Z690 Pro | Corsair DDR5 5600 32GB | Asus Dual RTX3060ti 6GB v2 Mini OC | Corsair RM850 Gold PSU | 1TB NVMe M.2 WD Black SN850 | 4TB Seagate BarraCuda HDD | Corsair Airflow 5000D Case | HP 32QHD 4K Monitor | Windows 11 x64 Professional
Wizwad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2003, 06:23 AM   #156
Tiny Turtle
is pleased

27 Highscores

Shesh. Ponds? Outdoors in the winter? – Can you say frozen solid?

/Tiny Temps

P.S.
Up here we like to think the English weather is always rainy and dreary (correct word?), but everytime I've visited the British isles (haven't been north of Sheffield), there has been some sort of heat-wave going on. – Like four weeks with a grand total of five minutes of rain...
Thanks to Morgan, Tiny Snapshots is up and running again with "Tiny Järvafält" as the latest addition – Go have a look and tell me what you think.

"We knew the world would not be the same. A few people laughed, a few people cried, most people were silent.
I remembered the line from the Hindu scripture, the Bhagavad-Gita. Vishnu is trying to persuade the Prince that he should do his duty and to impress him takes on his multi-armed form and says,
'Now, I am become Death, the destroyer of worlds.'
I suppose we all thought that, one way or another.
" /Robert Oppenheimer on witnessing the first thermonuclear detonation in history.
Tiny Turtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2003, 09:06 AM   #157
Wizwad
Only me...

You're welcome any time, Tiny. My address is: Bluebell Wood, Bi...

England isn't dreary. Well, north of Sheffield it might be, but not down here.

[ducks and runs]
Mark
-----------
Intel i7 12700K | Aorus Z690 Pro | Corsair DDR5 5600 32GB | Asus Dual RTX3060ti 6GB v2 Mini OC | Corsair RM850 Gold PSU | 1TB NVMe M.2 WD Black SN850 | 4TB Seagate BarraCuda HDD | Corsair Airflow 5000D Case | HP 32QHD 4K Monitor | Windows 11 x64 Professional
Wizwad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2003, 12:27 PM   #158
cjmaddy
Registered

Tiny,

Unfortunately, it feels like the last four weeks have had a grand total of five minutes of sun!

Well not quite that bad, - but shall we say it's been wet!

As for Mark's comment, ..... least said about anyone south of Watford, the better!
Old 05-26-2003, 03:17 PM   #159
Tiny Turtle
is pleased

27 Highscores

for both of you
Thanks to Morgan, Tiny Snapshots is up and running again with "Tiny Järvafält" as the latest addition – Go have a look and tell me what you think.

"We knew the world would not be the same. A few people laughed, a few people cried, most people were silent.
I remembered the line from the Hindu scripture, the Bhagavad-Gita. Vishnu is trying to persuade the Prince that he should do his duty and to impress him takes on his multi-armed form and says,
'Now, I am become Death, the destroyer of worlds.'
I suppose we all thought that, one way or another.
" /Robert Oppenheimer on witnessing the first thermonuclear detonation in history.
Tiny Turtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2003, 03:56 PM   #160
FrogMastr
Agalychnis callidryas

Tropical Freswater Fish?

By what standard define a Tropical fish?

Was not temperature?

Guppies prefers 75-80F so warm water...
Could we get Guppies Pleases.....

Just for the babys spawning... it is worth to be there!!!!

----
FrogMastr
FrogMastr is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum > SereneScreen Products > Future: Freshwater Aquarium