Home Register Arcade Gallery Chatroom Members Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Log In
Go Back   Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum > SereneScreen Products > Marine Aquarium 3 for Windows
Notices

Old 01-27-2010, 09:11 AM   #61
Dale
Banned

Originally posted by Jim Sachs:
I have a Facebook account, which I almost never check. But it does have its uses. Yesterday I connected with someone who was one of my best friends in Jr High, but who I haven't seen or heard about in 45 years.  
I'm not suggesting that you personally should do this, but does SereneScreen have a Page on Facebook? Or perhaps do targeted advertising for MA3 on Facebook?
Dale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 10:23 AM   #62
Jim Sachs
Developer

Yes, SereneScreen should probably have a presence on Facebook and Twitter. I just dread having to visit it every few minutes to find out whose cat just yawned.
Jim Sachs
Creator of SereneScreen Aquarium
Jim Sachs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 11:08 AM   #63
harris
Registered

I just dread having to visit it every few minutes to find out whose cat just yawned.  
Good one Jim.

It's amazing that so many people are entertained by such trivial amusement these days. Yep, I already know what some of you are thinking...
harris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 11:09 AM   #64
Dale
Banned

Yes, SereneScreen should probably have a presence on Facebook and Twitter. I just dread having to visit it every few minutes to find out whose cat just yawned.  
I don't think Twitter is very effective for marketing things (personal opinion), but it's OK for marketing people and causes.

A Facebook Page is useful as a "fan site" (just like this forum is for us old folks), and for information about new developments, etc.

Facebook advertisements are a way to do targeted ads to people who would be potential customers. (e.g. people who are interested in saltwater aquariums and need to relax, etc.).
Old 01-27-2010, 11:43 AM   #65
feldon34
Forum Administrator

The problem with Twitter is the message length and inability to follow a conversation. I reply to your message, and you have to go hunting to find my message, and if my post was a reply to someone else's message, the quest continues. Only with software like TweetDeck is it possible to view a conversation at a glance.

And the message length. I would have had to write the above paragraph in 4 separate Tweets to get it all out. I can't even get a thought started with 140 characters. To me, twitter is public text messages from exhibitionist celebs.
"Journalism is printing what someone else does not want printed. Everything else is public relations." - George Orwell
"If voting changed anything, they'd make it illegal." - Emma Goldman
feldon34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 12:42 PM   #66
patscarr
Pet Shark

1 Highscore

This is the SereneScreen Marine Aquarium fan group on Facebook There should really be an official Prolific page though.
Patrick
patscarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 12:58 PM   #67
Dale
Banned

Originally posted by patscarr:
This is the SereneScreen Marine Aquarium fan group on Facebook There should really be an official Prolific page though.  
I see that you're the creator of that group. Good show.

And you're certainly correct that an official Page for (one or more of) Prolific, SereneScreen, or "Marine Aquarium 3" would be good marketing.
Old 01-27-2010, 06:45 PM   #68
spetro
Semper Paratus

I've never bought anything form canned advertisement. Canned advertisement is a cheap way around paying fo REAL advertisement. I bought SereneScreen via office depot(the first time)!

Its like a good BBQ place.....if their food is good, it will be a matter of time before there is a line out the door, with no advertising!

Serenesreen 3 is still beta in new folk eyes. My opinion that a minor change in the program, and list from beta to real will plant the seed for advancement. As of now there is a touch of stagnation that may impede marketing to the next level....JMHO
spetro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 10:36 PM   #69
Dale
Banned

Originally posted by spetro:
Canned advertisement is a cheap way around paying fo REAL advertisement.  
I'm not sure I understand, but perhaps I will if you explain what you mean by "Canned advertisement" and what you mean by "REAL advertisement".

Thanks.
Old 01-28-2010, 05:35 AM   #70
spetro
Semper Paratus

Originally posted by Dale:
I'm not sure I understand, but perhaps I will if you explain what you mean by "Canned advertisement" and what you mean by "REAL advertisement".

Thanks.  
Canned advertisement to me means "free aggressive" advertisement. For example, lets just say a new member of this forum posts a link in any or several of the boards here. That link then has software programs in it for sale. Just by coincidence there is an aquarium program that is the websites center piece. I would find that offensive to me and would border on spam. I would never buy from such a group.

Real advertisement would be just that....paid for banner or ad that would help inform members of a certain forum. By paying for an ad that company is supporting the forum that the members belong to. So in reality all three parties win! The forum, the advertiser, and the members.

As for twitter and the like, I see a lot of companies going in that direction. Guess because its free and effective. Don't really go to those sites very much, so I don't want to voice an opinion either way. Hope this clears up what I was intending to point out the first time.
Old 01-28-2010, 10:10 AM   #71
Dale
Banned

Canned advertisement to me means "free aggressive" advertisement. For example, lets just say a new member of this forum posts a link in any or several of the boards here. That link then has software programs in it for sale. Just by coincidence there is an aquarium program that is the websites center piece. I would find that offensive to me and would border on spam. I would never buy from such a group.

Real advertisement would be just that....paid for banner or ad that would help inform members of a certain forum. By paying for an ad that company is supporting the forum that the members belong to. So in reality all three parties win! The forum, the advertiser, and the members.

As for twitter and the like, I see a lot of companies going in that direction. Guess because its free and effective. Don't really go to those sites very much, so I don't want to voice an opinion either way. Hope this clears up what I was intending to point out the first time.  
OK, I understand. Mostly (I think) the difference between free-and-mostly-unwanted, and paid-forum-supporting.

How would you view an advertisement (for instance for MA3) that would only come the few people in a large social forum, who had mentioned that they have an aquarium and are really interested in PCs and are "stressed out"?

Assume that a company pays the social forum for each time the ad is sent to somebody, thus supporting the social forum - and incenting the company to closely limit the people it's sent to
Old 01-29-2010, 04:34 AM   #72
spetro
Semper Paratus

Originally posted by Dale:
OK, I understand. Mostly (I think) the difference between free-and-mostly-unwanted, and paid-forum-supporting.

How would you view an advertisement (for instance for MA3) that would only come the few people in a large social forum, who had mentioned that they have an aquarium and are really interested in PCs and are "stressed out"?

Assume that a company pays the social forum for each time the ad is sent to somebody, thus supporting the social forum - and incenting the company to closely limit the people it's sent to  
I don't see a problem with that. Its supporting the forum
Old 01-29-2010, 08:18 AM   #73
Dale
Banned

I don't see a problem with that. Its supporting the forum  
What I described is essentially how Facebook advertising works.
Old 01-29-2010, 04:29 PM   #74
spetro
Semper Paratus

As I stated...I don't have a FB account and Twitter is useless to me (even though I have an account that I never look at) LOL

My problems usually arise when dead beat dirt bags try to spam or get creative free advertising out of a forum such as this one or the others I affiliate with. Looks like we are on the same page
Go Back   Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum > SereneScreen Products > Marine Aquarium 3 for Windows