Home Register Arcade Gallery Chatroom Members Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Log In
Go Back   Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum > SereneScreen Products > Marine Aquarium 3 for Windows
Notices

Old 11-06-2008, 05:47 PM   #21
cjmaddy
Registered

Originally posted by Jim Sachs:
.... I think that if you miss your exit in Boston, you can be declared legally dead.  
If you are declared legally dead, doesn't that mean that you have made your exit?
cjmaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 07:04 PM   #22
Jim Sachs
Developer

Yes, from the point of view of your friends and family who are still in the real world. But from your own point of view, you are in Limbo, eternally circling around on the expressway system.
Jim Sachs
Creator of SereneScreen Aquarium
Jim Sachs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008, 03:34 AM   #23
cjmaddy
Registered

How do you know? .....
Old 11-07-2008, 03:37 AM   #24
MadBob
Guitar Man

Yes, from the point of view of your friends and family who are still in the real world. But from your own point of view, you are in Limbo, eternally circling around on the expressway system.
Sounds exactly like spaghetti junction Birmingham, a motorway junction masquerading as England's largest car park!

I know that you may have a motorway junction called Spaghetti Junction in your country too. Birmingham’s Spaghetti Junction was the first Spaghetti Junction, and it is still the largest motorway junction in Europe. About 150,000 vehicles, and 5 million tons of freight, pass through Spaghetti Junction every day.

If you travel by road in Britain, sooner or later you will pass Spaghetti Junction. You'll remember it because it is the place where the traffic gets really bad, the journey gets really boring and the kids start fighting in the back of the car. If you take the wrong road at Spaghetti Junction, you will find yourself in London instead of Manchester. Some people who took the wrong road at Spaghetti Junction five years ago are still trying to find their way home.

It is not just a motorway junction. Underneath the motorway there are two railway lines, three canals, a river and several footpaths. There is a Birmingham joke that two of the roads at Spaghetti Junction are dead-ends.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg spaghetti junction.jpg (110.5 KB, 34 views)
MadBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008, 04:11 AM   #25
cjmaddy
Registered

The Worsley Braided Interchange, ie, 'Spaghetti Junction', was so named, and existed! - long before that imposter south of Birmingham...
Old 11-07-2008, 08:56 AM   #26
feldon34
Forum Administrator

Looks like most Houston freeway interchanges.
"Journalism is printing what someone else does not want printed. Everything else is public relations." - George Orwell
"If voting changed anything, they'd make it illegal." - Emma Goldman
feldon34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008, 02:43 PM   #27
Tiny Turtle
is pleased

27 Highscores

Morg,
Yeah, but at least your guys are driving on the right side of the road...
Thanks to Morgan, Tiny Snapshots is up and running again with "Tiny Järvafält" as the latest addition – Go have a look and tell me what you think.

"We knew the world would not be the same. A few people laughed, a few people cried, most people were silent.
I remembered the line from the Hindu scripture, the Bhagavad-Gita. Vishnu is trying to persuade the Prince that he should do his duty and to impress him takes on his multi-armed form and says,
'Now, I am become Death, the destroyer of worlds.'
I suppose we all thought that, one way or another.
" /Robert Oppenheimer on witnessing the first thermonuclear detonation in history.
Tiny Turtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008, 03:57 PM   #28
feldon34
Forum Administrator

There is only one public roundabout in Houston that I'm aware of. I would actually like to see more. I think they are beneficial at the right type of intersection.
"Journalism is printing what someone else does not want printed. Everything else is public relations." - George Orwell
"If voting changed anything, they'd make it illegal." - Emma Goldman
feldon34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2008, 06:26 AM   #29
MadBob
Guitar Man

Originally posted by Tiny Turtle:
Morg,
Yeah, but at least your guys are driving on the right side of the road...  
I have always found it strange where countries pass left to left (IE. driving on the right). Historically passing right to right (driving on the left) comes from people on horseback (or carts etc.) holding reins in the left hand and leaving the right hand free for greeting or weapons to defend yourself from an attack as you pass on a trail/track.

The vast majority of the world drives on the right (66%) and most roads are right driven (72%) there is only one country that does both, china, only because of Hong-Kong though.

The USA used to pass to pass on the left until the late 1700's when huge teamsters freight waggons were introduced (with no seat, the driver sat on rear left horse with whip in right hand) making passing on the right easier, the UK had smaller waggons driven from the right hand seat.

Research in 1969 showed countries driving on the left have a lower collision rate than countries driving on the right. Some countries that have switched to driving on the right, (such as Sweden), have seen their long-term accident rates increase by more than any increase in traffic volume. It has been suggested, but not proven, that this is partly because it is more common to be right-eye dominant.

The romans in Britain are known to have driven on the left (archeological evidence in and out of quaries deep ruts in the road going out with heavy load, shollow ruts coming in empty).
Old 11-08-2008, 02:33 PM   #30
Tiny Turtle
is pleased

27 Highscores

Originally posted by MadBob:
Research in 1969 showed countries driving on the left have a lower collision rate than countries driving on the right. Some countries that have switched to driving on the right, (such as Sweden), have seen their long-term accident rates increase by more than any increase in traffic volume. It has been suggested, but not proven, that this is partly because it is more common to be right-eye dominant.  
Research in 1969? Seriously, don't you think "accident rates" are a little to complex to depend on nothing but what side of the road you're driving on and traffic volume?
Thanks to Morgan, Tiny Snapshots is up and running again with "Tiny Järvafält" as the latest addition – Go have a look and tell me what you think.

"We knew the world would not be the same. A few people laughed, a few people cried, most people were silent.
I remembered the line from the Hindu scripture, the Bhagavad-Gita. Vishnu is trying to persuade the Prince that he should do his duty and to impress him takes on his multi-armed form and says,
" /Robert Oppenheimer on witnessing the first thermonuclear detonation in history.
Old 11-08-2008, 02:52 PM   #31
MadBob
Guitar Man

Originally posted by Tiny Turtle:
Research in 1969? Seriously, don't you think "accident rates" are a little to complex to depend on nothing but what side of the road you're driving on and traffic volume?  
Traffic flows in a clockwise direction when driving on the left which enables right eyed people to use the right eye to see oncoming traffic. When overtaking on a right-side-driving road, the right-eyed driver looks in the wing mirror with the left eye and also views the oncoming traffic with the left eye which is not suited to the majority right-eyed people.

and it was "long term accident rates."

The problem may have been caused by the fact that at the beginning of the month Trucks changed the side they drive on, with the rest of the traffic being phased in over the next 30 days!
Old 11-08-2008, 06:04 PM   #32
Tiny Turtle
is pleased

27 Highscores

Tags
new fish
Go Back   Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum > SereneScreen Products > Marine Aquarium 3 for Windows