Home Register Arcade Gallery Chatroom Members Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Log In
Go Back   Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum > SereneScreen Products > Marine Aquarium 3 for Windows
Notices

Old 03-30-2009, 05:29 PM   #1
cjmaddy
Registered

MA3 closes down after 5 minutes.

For the last few versions, (including the installer ver), I've noticed that MA3 closes down and returns to the desktop after just over 5 minutes.
I've checked this out on, one screen, dual screens, with and without panning, and run as a program or run as an auto-start screensaver.
No other screensavers I use, including MA2.6, display this problem.
I can't think what on my computer can be causing this, so assume it is a recent MA3 bug. - Has anyone else seen this effect?
All my Power Options are set to 'Never', and the Logo time setting doesn't appear to be involved.
cjmaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 06:14 PM   #2
henemly
asdf

Turned my power options off and it stays for ever, almost.
http://www.coltrain.byethost8.com
henemly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 06:32 PM   #3
Rick Simon
Registered

3 Highscores

Originally posted by cjmaddy:
For the last few versions, (including the installer ver), I've noticed that MA3 closes down and returns to the desktop after just over 5 minutes.
I've checked this out on, one screen, dual screens, with and without panning, and run as a program or run as an auto-start screensaver.
No other screensavers I use, including MA2.6, display this problem.
I can't think what on my computer can be causing this, so assume it is a recent MA3 bug. - Has anyone else seen this effect?  
Sorry, haven't seen this on any of my systems. Have you tried going through your Task Manager to shut down any other running programs and see if one of them is interfering?

I just recently found out that a CSS editor I use does not play well with MA3. With the editor up and running, I can start up MA3 and everything is fine. When I go to exit out of MA3 though and return to the desktop, MA3 crashes and takes out the editor with it. It's right at the point where MA3's full screen is closed but Jim has the windowed screen pop open momentarily (I forget what particular bug that was designed to get around). Right at that point, MA3 faults and Windows wants to send off an error report. I then have to go into the Task Manager to finish closing MA3 down. When it does close out the rest of the way, I then have an error from the CSS editor and have to close it down (losing any unsaved work) and restart it as well.

At the moment, I'm waiting to hear back on an upgrade for the CSS editor. I'll probably try that out and see if it fixes the incompatibility problem. If not, then I guess I can't use MA3 as a screensaver. At least, not while I'm working web sites. While MA3 is nice to watch, it's not nice enough to let it interfere with my work.

Edit: Oh well... got in the upgrade and MA3 still crashes and takes the editor with it. In case anyone else uses the same editor, it's TopStyle Pro.

Last edited by Rick Simon; 04-01-2009 at 03:47 PM.
Rick Simon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 07:04 PM   #4
Surferminn
Senior Puddle Jumper

74 Highscores

Nope, this does not happen on my computer. Sorry. I used the Windows download version from the serenescreen.com website as the latest version from the download thread on this forum (Beta 9M dated 2/28/09) has expired when you try to run it.

Nothing Changes if Nothing Changes.

Surferminn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 04:06 AM   #5
cjmaddy
Registered

I'm continuing my search for possible conflicts that may be causing this close down, but at 5 mins+ for each check, it's very time consuming.
Old 03-31-2009, 05:47 PM   #6
cjmaddy
Registered

Solved! ..... It's the 'Music'!!.... I unchecked the Music check-box, and the close-down problem is gone!
Old 03-31-2009, 09:26 PM   #7
Surferminn
Senior Puddle Jumper

74 Highscores

Congrats.

Nothing Changes if Nothing Changes.

Surferminn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 04:42 AM   #8
fozzy
Registered

could be interesting to understand what happens... is it when it changes track? or could it be a particular track is causing the shutdown?
testing on:
ATI Radeon mobility X2300 - Intel(R) 946GZ Express Chipset Family
fozzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 10:51 AM   #9
cjmaddy
Registered

I can explain what appears to be happening on my system using Win2000Pro and a Geforce 7900GS etc, but I should stress that it doesn't necessarily follow that the same will apply to all other systems. - The First Law Of Beta Testing, should probably state something like... "Just 'cause it works on your system, doesn't mean it will work on all systems".

My music playlist only contains the default CanonGuitar.sgt - If I remove it from the playlist but still have the Music check-box checked, MA3 doesn't close down. But if I put CanonGuitar.sgt back into the playlist, MA3 does then close down, after the end of CanonGuitar.sgt.... And guess what! - CanonGuitar.sgt is approx 5 minutes 10 seconds long!

I don't normally have my speakers switched on, so I hadn't associated the close-down with the length of the CanonGuitar.sgt music file, - but it looks like that may be the root of this problem. - We must await Jim's comments!
Old 04-01-2009, 10:51 AM   #10
Jim Sachs
Developer

Well, 5 minutes is about when the default track would end, but then it would just play again. It's inconcievable to me that Cliff would have loaded any other track (but then I'm still in shock that he would even have the music enabled at all).

Edit - sorry, Cliff beat me to posting.

Cliff - I have no idea why the system would not recognize the track when playing through the second time. I'll certainly look into it, though.
Jim Sachs
Creator of SereneScreen Aquarium
Jim Sachs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 02:01 PM   #11
ESHIREY
Smilie Dragon

I just tried on mine and I don't have that problem. Sorry.
ESHIREY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 03:43 PM   #12
Nicki
Sugar Plum Fairy

I was thinking the registry key in HKCR for the extension .sgt could be corrupted , but there isn't one , so there goes that idea . It's a midi track isn't it ? Maybe you're not set to the default midi player ( control panel -> sounds and audio devices -> audio in windows xp ) . Like you say though Cliff , it's most likely one of those your mileage may vary things and since you don't care for the music anyway ...
Run you clever boy. And remember...
Nicki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 04:19 PM   #13
harris
Registered

Sorry Cliff, mine also works as it should. There is a 1-2 second pause around the 5 minute mark that I assume is caused by the "looping" of the music track. It will continue to play until I turn it off using the menu checkbox.

Last edited by harris; 04-01-2009 at 05:25 PM.
harris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 08:33 PM   #14
Dale
Banned

My music playlist only contains the default CanonGuitar.sgt - If I remove it from the playlist but still have the Music check-box checked, MA3 doesn't close down. But if I put CanonGuitar.sgt back into the playlist, MA3 does then close down, after the end of CanonGuitar.sgt.... And guess what! - CanonGuitar.sgt is approx 5 minutes 10 seconds long!

Does the playlist just say CanonGuitar.sgt - or does it (like mine does by default) show the entire path C:\Documents.........\etc.?

If you're interested in trying a couple of things that might provide a clue:

A. Try checking the "random play" box.

B. Add the CanonGuitar.sgt file in again, so that you have it in the list 2 or 3 times.
Dale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 07:19 AM   #15
cjmaddy
Registered

Well, Jim's says he's looking into it, - so I'll just leave it at that. - I think I've already covered most of the possibilities of curing the fault at my end. - But don't get me wrong, I quite like Pachelbel's Canon, - I just don't see 'an aquarium', as a music playback device!

But having MA3 close down after playing the default track may actually be a blessing in disguise when you think about it... 'cause who in their right mind wants to constantly listen to the same tune endlessly repeating itself?

It's probably all a cunning plan on Jim's part to sabotage it because of my dislike for having MA3 turned into an iPod!

But the simple solution of course is to just press the M key.... Oh! - the bliss!

..... Or perhaps an addition to this site... http://www.noisefree.org/muzak.php ... would help? ...
..... (Ahhh!... If only all purveyors of Muzak had an 'M' key!)
Old 04-02-2009, 07:20 AM   #16
Jav400
Administrator

22 Highscores

Cliff, have you actually added any other music just to see if it does the same thing? It might help to know if it's either something within the program causing it or something corrupted within the song itself.

If you don't have any other music available on your system to try let me know and I'll get you something for testing purposes.......
Jav400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 07:47 AM   #17
cjmaddy
Registered

Michael, - Yes, I've tested a number of other music files and they all repeat as expected and MA continues to run. - It's just Jim's default track, as downloaded, that for whatever reason, closes down the aquarium at the end of its first run-through.

When I first realised that MA3 was constantly closing down after a set period of time, I never assumed or expected it would be linked with the default music. - After my opinions about having ANY music backing for an aquarium, I think I would probably have expected to get lynched!

Perhaps it IS retribution, - for NOT wanting Muzak!
Old 04-02-2009, 07:59 AM   #18
Nicki
Sugar Plum Fairy

It's probably all a cunning plan on Jim's part ...

I just bought the complete collection of Blackadder on DVD , so this made me smile . Generally I only have the music on when I'm using the program as a screensaver , not when I'm using it as a virtual aquarium .
Run you clever boy. And remember...
Nicki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 09:01 AM   #19
Dale
Banned

Well, Jim's says he's looking into it, - so I'll just leave it at that. -  
...but Jim (probably) can't duplicate the problem. So, answering some of the other questions and/or doing some of the other tests that have been suggested, might help Jim look into it. [Or might eliminate possible causes, so that Jim may be able to find the real cause].

That's up to you, of course.
Dale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 11:10 AM   #20
cjmaddy
Registered

Dale, - I have been doing this for quite a little while now, and I know what is required of us!

Michael, - I don't know how long that Jean Michel Jarre file that you sent me in the PM should run for, but after over two and a half hours! - it was still playing and MA3 was still running. But as soon as I changed over to CanonGuitar.sgt MA3 closed down after just one run-through! - It may well be my system, but there must surely be others out there that will think that that tune only runs once, and then the aquarium switches off. - Jim, don't you think you are going to have to change that .sgt file type?

Nicki, - A Blackadder fan!!! ..... Fantastic! ..... You will have just made Baldrick's day!
https://www.feldoncentral.com/forums...461&#post72461
Go Back   Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum > SereneScreen Products > Marine Aquarium 3 for Windows