Home Register Arcade Gallery Chatroom Members Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Log In
Go Back   Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum > SereneScreen Products > Marine Aquarium 3 for Windows > Marine Aquarium 2 for Windows Archive
Notices

Old 02-01-2008, 03:06 AM   #1
3dFuzion
Registered

SereneScreen Marine Aquarium and DirectX 9/10 Vista 32-Bit/Vista x64

I was just wanting to know why the developer has not stepped it up and revamped the entire application screensaver so it can use DirectX 9/10 and run under Vista 32-Bit/x64? Plus offer support for a computer monitor at 2560x1600? Technology is moving fast and everyone one wants more and better stuff then before so I was just wanting to know what's the hold up and why can't there be a SereneScreen Marine Aquarium 5.0
I think the screen saver rocks but there's no support for directx 9 or 10
3dFuzion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2008, 08:53 AM   #2
feldon34
Forum Administrator

Well, I'm not the developer (he'll probably respond to this thread as well), but I'll be happy to respond to your points.

Marine Aquarium 3, which is currently in alpha testing, has a completely rebuilt, high definition 3D background. It is 2 1/2 screens wide. Edit: I don't know the highest resolution it's been tested but it looks excellent on my 1280 x 1024 display.

Second, I don't think it's a secret that many people (including me) are staying away in droves from Vista. Turns out consumers are smarter than Microsoft initially thought and will not accept an OS that has 3 times the hardware requirements, an avalanche of security prompts, and no new major features.

More importantly, Marine Aquarium 2.x has always worked on Vista, even since before it was called Vista. Remember Windows Longhorn? MA2 worked on that too!

I am curious about your request for support of DirectX 9 and 10. Is there a specific DirectX 9 or DirectX 10 specific feature the Aquarium is not taking advantage of that you feel it should? I think a lot of people quote "it should use DirectX 9 or 10" without actually having a specific feature in mind that those technologies add that they'd like to see.

Still, MA3 has been rewritten in DirectX 8, which will make multi-monitor support easy, not to mention the use of shaders to accomplish effects that were not possible in MA2.

Marine Aquarium 2.x series was written in DirectX 7, runs on almost all 3D cards with at least 16MB, and runs in Windows 98, ME, 2000, XP, and Vista. As a result of this huge compatibility, the Aquarium has sold hundreds of thousands of copies and has been featured on network television programs such as Smallville, Reaper, Las Vegas, Big Brother4, CSI, Law & Order, Law & Order CI, in movies such as Bridget Jones 2 and Firewall, and in games such as Far Cry.

If the Aquarium required Vista and DirectX 10, Jim would still be teaching animation classes.
"Journalism is printing what someone else does not want printed. Everything else is public relations." - George Orwell
"If voting changed anything, they'd make it illegal." - Emma Goldman

Last edited by feldon34; 02-01-2008 at 04:47 PM.
feldon34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2008, 08:58 AM   #3
fred@
Registered

While I can see your point about the features of 9/10, I would need it out of a necessity. My ATI 2900 XT can not support the older style Direct X that Marine Aquarium runs on. Thankfully it's not too long till 3 (Hopefully!)
fred@ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2008, 09:42 AM   #4
feldon34
Forum Administrator

Hopefully your ATI works on DirectX 8.
"Journalism is printing what someone else does not want printed. Everything else is public relations." - George Orwell
Old 02-01-2008, 12:10 PM   #5
Jim Sachs
Developer

Morgan covered all the main points. MA3 is in DX8/9 (9 is virtually identical to 8).

As far as MA2.6 not working on newer machines, Microsoft has insured that every version of DirectX will accept all commands from previous versions. There is only one driver that I'm aware of that does not support earlier versions of DirectX. That one is from ATI, and is simply a mistake on their part. They have been informed.

There are no DirectX 10 commands that I need for my program which could not be done just as well in DX8/9, but if I limited the program to DX10, I'd be cutting out about 90% of the user base.
Jim Sachs
Creator of SereneScreen Aquarium
Jim Sachs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2008, 03:47 PM   #6
Tiny Turtle
is pleased

27 Highscores

Originally posted by feldon31:
<lots of things I agree on>

It looks fantastic at resolutions up to 4320 x 1280

<more things I agree on>  
Where did those numbers come from? The highest vertical resolution tested so far has been 1440 which would give a total size of approximately 4600x1440 and it looked great then as well, but I'd venture a guess that it would hold up just fine on dual 30"/2560x1600 screens as well.
Thanks to Morgan, Tiny Snapshots is up and running again with "Tiny Järvafält" as the latest addition – Go have a look and tell me what you think.

"We knew the world would not be the same. A few people laughed, a few people cried, most people were silent.
I remembered the line from the Hindu scripture, the Bhagavad-Gita. Vishnu is trying to persuade the Prince that he should do his duty and to impress him takes on his multi-armed form and says,
'Now, I am become Death, the destroyer of worlds.'
I suppose we all thought that, one way or another.
" /Robert Oppenheimer on witnessing the first thermonuclear detonation in history.
Tiny Turtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2008, 04:26 PM   #7
fred@
Registered

Hopefully your ATI works on DirectX 8.  
Until they update the drivers to fix this issue (if they ever do) it can run it, but with tons of graphical glitches rendering it pretty much useless for that sort of thing.
fred@ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2008, 04:36 PM   #8
Jim Sachs
Developer

I'm pretty sure they will fix the drivers. They always fix them for games, and there are far more copies of the Aquarium floating around out there than any game.
Jim Sachs
Old 02-01-2008, 04:49 PM   #9
feldon34
Forum Administrator

Tiny didn't like my fudged numbers, so I've gone back and edited my post.

I've seen MA3 at 1280 x 1024 and 1600 x 1200 and extrapolated from that the rough "ideal resolution" that I posted from that.

Different pieces of coral are made of different artwork, so some are crisper than others. At 1280 x 1024, everything looks good to me.
Old 02-01-2008, 06:54 PM   #10
Tiny Turtle
is pleased

27 Highscores

Mike manages 1440 vertical if you want a preview, but it looks excellent at 1920x1200 as well.
Thanks to Morgan, Tiny Snapshots is up and running again with "Tiny Järvafält" as the latest addition – Go have a look and tell me what you think.

"We knew the world would not be the same. A few people laughed, a few people cried, most people were silent.
I remembered the line from the Hindu scripture, the Bhagavad-Gita. Vishnu is trying to persuade the Prince that he should do his duty and to impress him takes on his multi-armed form and says,
'Now, I am become Death, the destroyer of worlds.'
I suppose we all thought that, one way or another.
" /Robert Oppenheimer on witnessing the first thermonuclear detonation in history.
Tiny Turtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 07:14 PM   #11
skypx
Dual Xeon

Tiny didn't like my fudged numbers, so I've gone back and edited my post.

I've seen MA3 at 1280 x 1024 and 1600 x 1200 and extrapolated from that the rough "ideal resolution" that I posted from that.

Different pieces of coral are made of different artwork, so some are crisper than others. At 1280 x 1024, everything looks good to me.  
This is a typical example "why" I should "become" an official beta tester. There seems to be a lot of speculation on what MA 3.0 looks like on a 30" monitor.

Just kidding guys...... I'm like a 3 year old when it comes to waiting.
Asus Rampage II Extreme|Intel Core i7 965|Corsair Dominator 6G|Western Digital VelociRaptor|Seagate Barracuda 1.5TB|Seagate Barracuda ES.2|EVGA 9800 GX2|LG GGW H20N|Sony BWU 300S|Pioneer DVR-215L|Logitech G9|Dell 3008WFP|Cooler Master Stacker 832|Thermaltake W0133RU
skypx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2008, 07:03 PM   #12
meerupps
Registered

Embarassed Do Registered Users get the Beta?

I am Sorry. Haven't been by in a while, this question has likely been answered. But I have a two year old Down Syndrome Daughter named Samantha that is really in love with MAT. It is wonderful to see her respond to it even though she hasn't even started to crawl / walk yet at 2.

While that part of her life is delayed, her personality is quite advanced (For a child with Down Syndrome) and when I read that the background is going to be more realistic...

I have been a happy registered owner since day 1 and would be glad to offer feedback on the new version and I am already pretty sure that Samantha will give it a big thumbs up! Nothing pushy here guys, only if you want the input, like I said, I have been aware of Jim Sachs genius since day one.

Thanks,

Brian & Kathryn Sachs Stevens
(Sadly no relation to Jim but nice to see our name Sachs on the Saver)
meerupps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2008, 07:07 PM   #13
Jim Sachs
Developer

Brian - yes, registered owners will be part of the Beta process. The program is still in Alpha form, and needs some features added before it could be called Beta.
Jim Sachs
Old 02-21-2008, 12:06 PM   #14
meerupps
Registered

Embarassed Glad you are still in the action...

I seem to remember originally there were several savers planned and after a few updates things seemed to stall for a while and we thought you were done. Great to know you aren't done yet. We always look forward to seeing your work and yes, we loved Defender of the Crown. And we would love to know if you still do the excercise bike program used by R. Williams? If so where can we look it up to see it about possible purchase?

Thanks!

Brian & Kathy Sachs Stevens
meerupps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2008, 01:04 PM   #15
Jim Sachs
Developer

No, I don't do the CompuTrainer software any more, but they are still going strong at www.CompuTrainer.com
Jim Sachs
Go Back   Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum > SereneScreen Products > Marine Aquarium 3 for Windows > Marine Aquarium 2 for Windows Archive