Home Register Arcade Gallery Chatroom Members Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Log In
Go Back   Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum > SereneScreen Products > Marine Aquarium 3 for Windows > Marine Aquarium 2 for Windows Archive
Notices

Old 08-26-2001, 07:44 AM   #1
feldon34
Forum Administrator

*** Microsoft Plus Pack ***

I saw this website that was showing screenshots of the upcoming new Plus! for WinXP, if you look at the screenshot you can clearly see its Jim's screensaver.

"Journalism is printing what someone else does not want printed. Everything else is public relations." - George Orwell
"If voting changed anything, they'd make it illegal." - Emma Goldman

Last edited by feldon34; 11-27-2001 at 09:49 AM.
feldon34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2001, 09:08 AM   #2
Jav400
Administrator

22 Highscores

Re: the last one

Correct. It will include directions on how to purchase and download the full version.
Jav400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2001, 08:50 PM   #3

Does Microsoft contact Jim for screen saver on XP?

Can someone post the progress of Microsoft contact Jim about choosing his aquarium screen saver as the default one in Windows XP Plus! pack?
members.tripod.co.uk/crey...plus15.jpg

May be Bill Gate is using it also?
Old 08-28-2001, 09:56 PM   #4
Jav400
Administrator

22 Highscores

Re: Does Microsoft contact Jim for screen saver on XP?

kyeoj,

Jim can correct me if I get anything wrong, but basically he made a deal quite some time ago with Microsoft for this to happen. Its one of the things that began his trials and tribulations with creating the DX8 version. Since Win XP will ship with DX8, Microsoft required him to program his aquarium that way to be included.

At first look, it also appeard that DX8 would help provide some of the features that Jim wanted to be able to include in his aquarium. Unfortunately in the process, it also caused many headaches and problems. The DX8 Screen Saver libraries that Microsoft gave Jim to use in his programming work, are not very friendly towards older Operating Systems, and therefore caused many problems. Thats one of the reasons that Jim has continued to program his aquarium using DX6 at this point.

Through his sweat and dedication he has found a way to include the things he wanted using DX6, and says that he will continue to follow this tact until he is satisfied that some of his concerns are better addressed towards older Operating Systems.
Old 08-29-2001, 09:12 AM   #5
feldon34
Forum Administrator

Re: Does Microsoft contact Jim for screen saver on XP?

Jim licensed the 3 fish demo of the Aquarium to Microsoft in May for inclusion on the fall Plus (XP) disc, and to be pre-installed on OEM computers starting Oct 25th.

Jim's publishing company, Prolific, was instrumental in striking this deal and making things balanced and fair for all sides.

12 million potential sales is a great thing.
"Journalism is printing what someone else does not want printed. Everything else is public relations." - George Orwell
Old 09-03-2001, 12:57 PM   #6
FishyBusiness
Registered

1 Highscore

Re: *** Microsoft Plus Pack ***

I am, as with most humans, curious about things. I have been running XP for a few days now to see how well it runs. It does run pretty wel except for a few select problems.

I did get the Plus Pak too. Indeed, it does have Jim's artwork in it. When I go to the ScreenSaver tab and hit the 'Visit Us Online for More Fish' button, it takes me to this link. www.rainbowfoto.com/PlusWeb/228.htm The page is under construction.

I hope that whoever is doing the page, gets it up and running when the Plus Pack hits the streets.

BTW, there is nothing in the Plus Pack worth buying except for Jim's ScreenSaver which someone can buy anyway online. Also, When I run the three fish Demo at 1600x1200x32, it looks the same to me as when I run it at 1600x1200x16. Also, it sets my refresh rate to 60Hz but that is a Windows problem.
Frank
FishyBusiness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2001, 11:58 PM   #7
Jim Sachs
Developer

Re: *** Microsoft Plus Pack ***

Yes, the link for the Plus! Pack will be up by Oct 25th. This is a Microsoft link that tracks hits that come from them and end up as sales on my site.

As I have always stated, if your video drivers are doing their job, there is ABSOLUTELY no visual difference running the Aquarium in 16 or 32 bit. The only difference is twice the memory use.
Jim Sachs
Creator of SereneScreen Aquarium
Jim Sachs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2001, 06:18 AM   #8
codgio
Registered

1 Highscore

Re: Review of plus pack

I was reading a windows XP review in a magazine yesterday and when it came to the plus pack they had this to say:

"The aquarium screen saver has to be seen to be believed.."
Good so far, but then followed it with this (more or less)

"..but like everything else in the plus pack, scratch beneath the surface and there is not a lot there."
You have to wonder exactly what they are expecting to find beneath the surface of a screen saver?
Remember what the doormouse said...
codgio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2001, 09:51 AM   #9
Jav400
Administrator

22 Highscores

They might have only looked at the limited demo, instead of reviewing the full version. Sort of shows who "doesn't have alot there", if they didn't even take the time to look at the full version.
Old 10-31-2001, 07:26 PM   #10
Lightfeather

Oooo. You just give me an e-mail. I'd love to write them a letter! Those snots.
Experience is what you get when you don't get what you want.
Lightfeather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2001, 07:33 PM   #11
Lightfeather

I have a feeling that maybe they just don't like Microsoft, and since the aquarium is associated with MS, it got some mud flung its way.

The ol' fallacy of association. Those fallacious farts. SOME people are even under the impression that Microsoft developed the Aquarium. If it gets that kind of publicity it is bound to get attacked by people who have a chip on their shoulder against Bill and Company, for whatever reason.
Experience is what you get when you don't get what you want.
Lightfeather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2001, 10:14 AM   #12
hooters
Percula Clown

Seems I've Read That same Article - On the plus side though Once People see the Demo on thier Machine , They will be hooked Like We All Were when we first d-loaded the aquarium and they will buy it like we all did
~RELAXATION IS WHAT IT'S ALL ABOUT~
hooters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2002, 11:18 AM   #13
Swede
Registered

Post About the screensaver and WinXP Plus...

I felt a need to revive this old thread.

In a computer magazine here in Sweden I read an interview with Jens Gorne, some sort of product manager for Windows XP.

The journalist asks:
"Isn't it very cheap of you to charge extra money for fishes to a screensaver when you have already paid a lot of money for the operative system and the Plus-package?"

Jens Gorne answers:
"Ha, ha. Yes I agree!. I thought it was a joke when I first heard it. I think you should look upon it as just a funny thing... and at the same time it's a test for the possibility to charge for extra components in a operative system. Even without the extra fishes it's a damn nice screensaver."

The journalist asks:
"Are you planning to remove the Start menu in next version of Windows and sell that separately?"

Jens Gorne answers:
"Yes, that and the function 'save as' will cost some extra $1200 USD in the next version. - No, of course not! But I think that we in the future will see an increased possibility to download additional parts... like extra language packs for a modest sum."

The journalist asks:
"Back to the fishes. Would you consider buying 13 extra fishes for your screensaver?"

Jens Gorne answers:
"As a product manager for Windows I probably would, but as a private... I don't know. I'm very happy with it as it is. (3 fishes version.)"

So.. reading this you get the idea that the screensaver is made by Microsoft... Not a word of the origin, or the man behind it, and why it costs extra...

It sadens me some Jim... I hope people who buy the Plus package really buy the full version from you and that they realizes that this isn't a Microsoft product. Otherwise it looks like you made a bad descision letting it be a part of the Plus pack (for free?!)...

BTW www.rainbowfoto.com/PlusWeb/228.htm is STILL under construction!
4x / F C Am G F C Am G //
Chorus: 3x /F C Am G F C Am G//

Last edited by Swede; 03-17-2002 at 03:38 PM.
Swede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2002, 12:06 PM   #14
Jim Sachs
Developer

Yes, my association with Microsoft has not worked out very well for me. This is mostly because of their last-minute decision to double the price of the Plus Pack. We had signed on when the idea was to sell the 20-or so utilities/demos/etc, for $19.95 -- about a dollar each. Suddenly it was a $40 item, and the customers were understandably angry at having to pay full price for the real aquarium. They all assumed that even if the Aquarium was a non-Microsoft product, surely the developer got something from the $40.

Upgrades from the Plus Pack account for about a third of our sales, but these customers start out angry, and need a lot of Customer-Support.
Jim Sachs
Creator of SereneScreen Aquarium
Jim Sachs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2002, 12:06 PM   #15
feldon34
Forum Administrator

www.rainbowfoto.com/PlusWeb/228.htm is not the MS page people get.

http://www.microsoft.com/Windows/Plus/More_Fish.htm is what they get.

Which takes them to:

http://www.serenescreen.com/info/mswelcome.asp , which I animated in Flash.
Old 03-17-2002, 01:52 PM   #16
Tiny Turtle
is pleased

27 Highscores

Swede, (that name kinda fits me too ) which magazine did you read that so called amusing interview in? Is this Mr. Gorne for real? To me it seems like someone making ignorant and even untrue statements. I'm guessing that he's being interviewed as a Microsoft representative – not just Mr. Joe Average – and that his opinions therefore should be considered at least semi-official. – Not too slick if you'd ask me...

Also, that "You're-using-PlusXP-Flash-thingy doesn't show any info about the lionfish. Judging by some posts here, that seems to be a crucial point for a lot of people when it comes to purchasing the full version. Perhaps someone should make an updated Flash-ad? (It's very neat though, Morgan. – Well presented and a good punchline.)
Tiny Turtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2002, 03:30 PM   #17
Swede
Registered

The source for this info was... (which I should have given you already in my first post...) the magazine"PC för alla" Nr 3 April 2002 (translates to "PC for all")

The title for Mr. Gorne is:

Jens Gorne, MSN Sweden business manager

Hm... Ignorance comes with all kinds of titles...
4x / F C Am G F C Am G //
Chorus: 3x /F C Am G F C Am G//
Swede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2002, 04:29 PM   #18
Tiny Turtle
is pleased

27 Highscores

[rant]
Of course it had to be "PC für Alle", – The magazine that prides itself on having a greater number of factual errors than articles per issue. I can so totally believe that those "journalists" didn't question a thing (or know anything in the first place for that matter)!
[/rant]

/Tiny Belief in Swedish Computer Press
Tiny Turtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2002, 07:14 AM   #19
patscarr
Pet Shark

1 Highscore

Yeah, great job on that flash intro Morgan, it looks very profesional, but Tiny's absolutly right about updating it to include the lionfish.
Patrick
patscarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2002, 11:50 AM   #20
feldon34
Forum Administrator

After I wrapped up on SereneScreen.com, I was asked to take a look at another Prolific website. I had some issues moving forward on it. I was given a bunch of finished graphics and asked to try to integrate them with any design I came up with. I felt that I couldn't integrate them.

So I ended up passing on the job and I did not handle the communications well, and so I am no longer involved in design for Prolific sites.

The redesign of SereneScreen.com for version 1.1 release was done internally by Prolific.

Last edited by feldon34; 03-18-2002 at 11:53 AM.
Go Back   Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum > SereneScreen Products > Marine Aquarium 3 for Windows > Marine Aquarium 2 for Windows Archive