Home Register Arcade Gallery Chatroom Members Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Log In
Go Back   Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum > SereneScreen Products > Marine Aquarium 3 for Mac OS X > Marine Aquarium 2 for Mac OS X Archive
Notices

Old 07-25-2002, 06:33 PM   #41
mrtew
Registered

It's definitely better with the CPU and faster, but I still don't get the Shimmer thing??? What does the word mean in this context, and what is it supposed to do? Which setting does what, and why don't I notice any difference at all with any setting in either the image, or the CPUusage, or the FPS?
mrtew
mrtew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2002, 06:57 PM   #42
Unregistered

BTW - My 30 FPS on my iBook is running in thousands of colors. I get about 9 FPS if I try and run in millions. Once again, though, neither Economize or Shimmer settings seem to do anything in millions of colors either.
Old 07-25-2002, 09:37 PM   #43
JimO'Connor
Mac Development

* Economize Video Memory doesn't seem to do anything.

Since you have 30 fps you don't have the software renderer. It gives framerates of 10 and less (like .5). Economize video memory won't do anything for you. It may help those with iMac DV 400s.

* Turning Shimmer on and off doesn't seem to do anything either.

Shimmer is the lighting effect on the fish fins as they ripple. It is very subtle.

* I love the way that you can now turn on wireframe in just the fish. Fun!

We are glad you like it.

Thanks.
Jim O'Connor
Order N Development
JimO'Connor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2002, 09:48 PM   #44
JimO'Connor
Mac Development

Originally posted by Unregistered
BTW - My 30 FPS on my iBook is running in thousands of colors. I get about 9 FPS if I try and run in millions. Once again, though, neither Economize or Shimmer settings seem to do anything in millions of colors either.
"Economize" means to skip the z-buffer. This saves VRAM and allows some computers to hardware render when they would otherwise get the software renderer. The software renderer USUALLY gives frame rates in the LOW single digits (to fractional digits), so I'd guess that you are getting the hardware renderer with the 9 fps, so economize won't help you. It primarily helps people with 8 Meg video cards in TiBooks and it should help iMac DV 400s. There may be other marginal conditions where it will help.

Turn shimmer on and watch the tail fins of some fish. See the shadow follow the ripple? Turn shimmer off and watch the tail fins. See that the shadow is stationary? Calculating the lighting effects in "shimmer" takes CPU time. It is a more signficant portion of the total frame time if the aquarium size is relatively small. At full screen it is a small percentage as the video card is the bottleneck. If you lock fps to a value less than the maximum your computer can achieve and turn shimmer off then your CPU utilization will be less than with it on.

I hope this helps.
Jim O'Connor
Order N Development
Old 07-26-2002, 04:09 AM   #45
ohairy1
Registered

Cool Ohoh... new sound issue?

Decided to try v1.1 on my iMac 400 (2000) with OS 10.1.4, 1024 MB RAM, and QuickTime 5.

The prefs were set to Sound On when Active, and bubbles "Off" ie "column" was unchecked.

But, I get sound. When I shouldn't. Should get it when the column is active but I have it when it's not.

Oops. Works OK with QT 6 however on my iBook 700.
ohairy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2002, 05:22 AM   #46
mrtew
Registered

I don't think the sound has anything to do with the bubble column. You can turn each one on or off independently. You can even turn the sound on and off with the 'B' key.

Thanks for the explanantion of 'Shimmer' Jim. NOW I see it!
mrtew
mrtew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2002, 07:52 AM   #47
JimO'Connor
Mac Development

The sound when active switch refers to when the program is active, ie the one with the menu bar. Initially, the button was labelled "Quiet in background".

mrtew has it right.
Jim O'Connor
Order N Development
Old 07-26-2002, 08:30 AM   #48
dhigbee
The Snorkeler

Will economize V-RAM do anything to help with the way the program slows down my CPU when it's running in the background? (I'm using a G-4 450 Mhz, with a Radeon 32 mb video card. Getting about 125 fps when in foreground, with setting at thousands of colors.) Would setting the program to run at 30 or 60 fps help the rest of my CPU to run faster?

One further question: In the beta version, if I was running the program, and my screen saver activated, I was running two copies of the program. Has this been fixed in the final version?

Thanks for your help.

Last edited by dhigbee; 07-26-2002 at 08:32 AM.
dhigbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2002, 09:03 AM   #49
JimO'Connor
Mac Development

Set your fps to 30 or 60 for general usage. At the 'max' setting the aquarium is using every cycle which it can find (hence the name 'max'). :^)

The application sniffs the running process list for the screen saver engine. When it finds that the screen saver is running, any module - ours or not, then it stops animating until it notices that the screen saver engine is no longer running. You still have two separate instances of the aquarium, but the application is more considerate so it doesn't affect the screen saver's render speed.
Jim O'Connor
Order N Development
Old 07-27-2002, 12:51 PM   #50
dhigbee
The Snorkeler

Angry

Thanks, Jim!
dhigbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2002, 10:30 AM   #51
xslf
Registered

Originally posted by feldon23
If you signed up at my website, you'll get an e-mail as soon as this new beta is available.
Just attempted to, but got this error:
"Error: Bad/No Recipient
There was no recipient or an invalid recipient specified in the data sent to FormMail. Please make sure you have filled in the recipient form field with an e-mail address that has been configured in @recipients. More information on filling in recipient form fields and variables can be found in the README file."
xslf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2002, 12:25 PM   #52
feldon34
Forum Administrator

xslf,

oops. There was a bug in my script. I have fixed it.
"Journalism is printing what someone else does not want printed. Everything else is public relations." - George Orwell
"If voting changed anything, they'd make it illegal." - Emma Goldman
feldon34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum > SereneScreen Products > Marine Aquarium 3 for Mac OS X > Marine Aquarium 2 for Mac OS X Archive