Home Register Arcade Gallery Chatroom Members Today's Posts Log In
Go Back   Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum > SereneScreen Products > Marine Aquarium 3 for Mac OS X > Marine Aquarium 2 for Mac OS X Archive
Notices

Old 07-05-2002, 03:20 PM   #1
PigsOnTheWing
Registered

Smile Icon + Letterboxed Screen Saver Mode

I just downloaded the OS X verison of Aquarium (I've been a registered user of the Windows version for quite a while now...and have been lusting after a Mac version ever since) and it looks pretty darned good! I'm overjoyed to finally be able to run the Aquarium on a Mac! Now I've got absolutely nothing to keep me from dumping my Windoze machine!

One thing the OS X version could use, though, is a better icon for the application...and one that follows the "Aqua" guidelines (3D, floating, shadow, lightsource directly overhead, etc.) would be best.

In the mean time, I did a simple cut and paste replacement using one of the Coral Reef icons found at www.xicons.com.

Here are few samples (reduced in size) from the Coral Reef set...

Another thing which would be nice would be the ability to choose the widescreen version for display in the full-screen screen saver mode. I'm not sure it makes a lot of sense to show the widescreen version (complete with the purple coral in the middle) during the screen saver preview mode...but then switch to the full-screen version (sans the purple coral in the middle) when actually running the screen saver. I'm probably one of the few people around who actually has a 16:10 widescreen computer monitor (it's currently connected to the Windoze machine, though). The vast majority of Mac users are going to have a 4:3 monitor (such as all iMac users). If all the widescreen code (right down to the older way of doing light reflections on the coral/gravel and the shadows that extend past parts of the coral) is already included in the Mac version...maybe it would make sense to have a full/wide check button which would allow you to run the widescreen version of the screen saver on a 4:3 monitor...complete with black bars at the top and bottom of the screen (a letterbox mode).
PigsOnTheWing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2002, 04:23 PM   #2
Unregistered

I'm working on the Icon
As to letterbox mode. We will think about that.
--Reichart...
Old 07-05-2002, 04:40 PM   #3
PigsOnTheWing
Registered

Exclamation

Reichart,

If a letterbox mode is not added...I think it would be a good idea to show the correct aspect ratio and background during the screen saver preview mode. Like I said, it doesn't make a lot of sense to see a 16:9 preview with purple coral and bubble column in a different spot...if the actual screen saver is going to display the 4:3 version without the purple coral, etc.

I suppose all this is only temporary, though, as there won't be separate 4:3 and 16:9 versions once Jim gets around to doing the 3-D rocks and corals.

Looking forward to seeing the new icon...
PigsOnTheWing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2002, 07:59 PM   #4
feldon34
Forum Administrator

This Screen Saver has been formatted to fit your screen.
"Journalism is printing what someone else does not want printed. Everything else is public relations." - George Orwell
"If voting changed anything, they'd make it illegal." - Emma Goldman
feldon34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum > SereneScreen Products > Marine Aquarium 3 for Mac OS X > Marine Aquarium 2 for Mac OS X Archive