Home Register Arcade Gallery Chatroom Members Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Log In
Go Back   Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum > SereneScreen Products > Marine Aquarium 3 for Windows
Notices

Old 06-04-2010, 12:37 AM   #41
feldon34
Forum Administrator

Originally posted by JohnWho:
Agreed.

The only reason I suggested the "check for updates" link is that it is the least intrusive method, leaving it entirely up to the user, that might reap the biggest benefit in upgrades.  
The check for updates you are talking about would have to ping the server and read a text file to determine the latest version number. This is verboten according to Jim's post.
"Journalism is printing what someone else does not want printed. Everything else is public relations." - George Orwell
"If voting changed anything, they'd make it illegal." - Emma Goldman
feldon34 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 03:48 AM   #42
Wizwad
Only me...

Not if you've had to click on a button in order to initiate the process. Then it becomes user initiated action, which is OK.

Step 1 - click on "check online for updates" button in settings panel.
Step 2 - read information returned in info dialog box, e.g. "You are using MA version 3. Version 3.1 is available if you would like to upgrade. To upgrade click the 'Upgrade' button below." Or alternatively, "You are already using the latest version of MA."
Step 3 - click 'Upgrade' button or 'Cancel' button if an upgrade is available. If no upgrade is available then click 'OK' to close information dialog box and return to settings panel.

It seems to me you get the best of both worlds that way. No spam. No unauthorised internet activity. Easy way to update. Job done.
Mark
-----------
Intel i7 12700K | Aorus Z690 Pro | Corsair DDR5 5600 32GB | Asus Dual RTX3060ti 6GB v2 Mini OC | Corsair RM850 Gold PSU | 1TB NVMe M.2 WD Black SN850 | 4TB Seagate BarraCuda HDD | Corsair Airflow 5000D Case | HP 32QHD 4K Monitor | Windows 11 x64 Professional
Wizwad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 06:11 AM   #43
JohnWho
Registered

Originally posted by feldon34:
The check for updates you are talking about would have to ping the server and read a text file to determine the latest version number. This is verboten according to Jim's post.  
No -

all it would need to do is take one to a website where instructions would explain how to check your version (Hotkey "S" or on the "About" screen, whichever is correct). The user could then compare that to info on the site which would show what the current version is, describing the improvements in that version.

The appropriate download link(s) for either the free update or to purchase would also be on the site.

There would be absolutely no intrusion on the user's PC.

Also, this would involve the least amount of programming change to MA - it simply requires the addition of a "button" with a weblink.

I can understand if Jim doesn't want to do this, as I've said I'm just offering up the suggestion.

It is part of the "K.I.S.S." concept.
I know you think you understand what you thought I said,
but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant!
JohnWho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 10:13 AM   #44
feldon34
Forum Administrator

I would guess that 80-90% of Marine Aquarium customers have no idea that product has a Settings panel.
"Journalism is printing what someone else does not want printed. Everything else is public relations." - George Orwell
"If voting changed anything, they'd make it illegal." - Emma Goldman
feldon34 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 10:17 AM   #45
Wizwad
Only me...

Morgan, I think you underestimate the userbase. I think many more people than that are familiar with accessing the settings through the Control Panel / Desktop Settings facility (Or right clicking the desktop and going to Properties) which is effectively the same thing, so it's really not an issue.
Mark
-----------
Intel i7 12700K | Aorus Z690 Pro | Corsair DDR5 5600 32GB | Asus Dual RTX3060ti 6GB v2 Mini OC | Corsair RM850 Gold PSU | 1TB NVMe M.2 WD Black SN850 | 4TB Seagate BarraCuda HDD | Corsair Airflow 5000D Case | HP 32QHD 4K Monitor | Windows 11 x64 Professional
Wizwad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 10:18 AM   #46
Dale
Banned

What's right, is to make it as easy as possible for customers to buy, use, and update the product, and do all of that without doing anything unethical. We just have a disagreement about what's ethical.  
Just to be clear, I completely agree with you about "what's right". And I don't think that you and I have any huge disagreement about what's ethical.

In the past, I have strongly expressed my opinion that there should be a (user-permitted) automatic check for updates. Although I still hold that opinion, implementation has been firmly rejected. Therefore, I don't continue to push my opinion.

I outlined another approach, which seems to be generally echoed by several other folks ("Check for Update" button), and which might be acceptable. I'm rather confident that you agree that it is ethical. As far as I see, Jim has not yet expressed a decision or opinion about that method.
Dale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 03:06 PM   #47
JohnWho
Registered

I would guess that 80-90% of Marine Aquarium customers have no idea that product has a Settings panel.  
Maybe <1%.

I would say that anyone who uses MA3 as a screen saver in a version of Windows knows that they can change the settings and has. Maybe they've only changed the fish in the tank or turned the sound on or off for the bubbles, but they've changed something.

Many may not know they can get to the Settings screens by one of the other methods, but they are aware that they can do it through the "screen saver" panel in Windows.

Even so - if 80% of the current users were to check for updates, perhaps many of them would pay for the features in the 4.0 version. (I'm assuming 4.0 would be the next "pay for" version.) If, by "current users" we also mean 2.6 owners, then such a "check for updates" button as I've described might have gotten more of them to purchase the upgrade to 3.0.

At this point, there is no way to tell what effect it might have had in the past. Going forward, however ...

At least, that's my take. Not worth arguing over, but certainly worth discussing, although if Jim doesn't care to do it, then the discussion is closed.

As they used to say, "Don't make me no nevermind."
I know you think you understand what you thought I said,
but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant!
JohnWho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 04:00 PM   #48
Dale
Banned

It is also true that every user has seen the settings panel at least one time, and probably more times.

When the installer version is run, it automatically brings up the settings panel.

And that's how you enter the registration code.
Old 06-19-2010, 10:25 AM   #49
spetro
Semper Paratus

Ok...I tried all the suggestions here using 3.1 W7 64 bit. Only tune I can play is the guitar tune. I tried adding my own, changing the file name, using the space key, ect ect. No tunes. Tried Mp3, WMA nothing. Have bubble noise and Guitar tune...but thats it. Don't think its a bug...but I cant get it to work. Tried removing the guitar tune....that worked. Now all thats left is the bubble sounds.

I sent a tune from MY Music Library to the desktop. changed the name to remove the spaces...nothing. Tried to add from library and from desktop...nothing. I have to be doing something wrong

Got the guitar file back after removing it...Don't know how that happened unless it defaults and reloads somehow. Never messed with the music feature before....thats why I think its loading failure on my part some how. Seems easy enough...its just not happening at this point.
spetro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2010, 10:46 AM   #50
Nicki
Sugar Plum Fairy

Didn't we have a similar problem to this a couple of months ago and it turned out to be a conflict with a background process? A screensaver manager or something like that?
Run you clever boy. And remember...
Nicki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2010, 11:01 AM   #51
spetro
Semper Paratus

Not sure...Wasn't paying that close attention to it since I really didn't use the music feature. Studied this thread but I have to be missing something. Tried it in MA3..same issue, thats why I don't think its a bug.

EDIT>>>>> Aww heck with it.....I'm going fishing. We'll mess with this later
Old 06-19-2010, 11:36 AM   #52
Nicki
Sugar Plum Fairy

I checked a couple of threads but no luck so far. It needs someone with a better memory than me.
Old 06-19-2010, 04:32 PM   #53
spetro
Semper Paratus

When I had a 150gallon tank with Discus (sp). There was no music playing in the background. It was fun feeding them worms. Thanks for the help....love this place

Jonnywho... to you too>>>>>>
Old 06-19-2010, 04:45 PM   #54
Nicki
Sugar Plum Fairy

When I kept fish, the house was too small for a decent sized tank, otherwise I would have loved to keep Discus. Or Acaras. This house is even smaller, so it seems no fish. Back in the day I had some Firemouths that actually spawned but I was late for school and when I got back at lunch time all the eggs were gone. Mostly I kept tetras and cory cats.

Marine fish were completely out of the question but there was a fantastic aquarium store nearby where I could go nearly every day to look at them.
Old 06-19-2010, 05:14 PM   #55
spetro
Semper Paratus

This is the tune I tried to add to 3.1...Mama Cass did good but Louie nails it

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R-xzfwDAn1I
Old 06-19-2010, 07:17 PM   #56
Dale
Banned

Originally posted by Nicki:
Didn't we have a similar problem to this a couple of months ago and it turned out to be a conflict with a background process? A screensaver manager or something like that?  
Try the posts by Terry Kennedy regarding music and W7-64.

Starting here. https://www.feldoncentral.com/forums...074#post119074

Terry described a slightly different set of symptoms, but it was W7-64.

One of the partial solutions was to install Windows Media Center.
Old 06-20-2010, 04:41 AM   #57
spetro
Semper Paratus

Thanks for the link. It seems my problem is different as you stated. Today messing around with it, I right clicked ma3. Hit configure,opened play list, added a tune, hit play...did not play. Ran program. Guitar tune started, Hit "M" music stopped hit "M" again music started hit "N". (guitar tune started from the beginning) not the next tune added in play list. Right clicked on ma3 went to play list, the tune I added was gone from the list without me removing it.
W764 does strange stuff with hardware, but W764 isn't going away. This is not a big issue for me. If I really needed music (which I don't) I can play anything I want via W media player then run ma3 or 3.1. over the top.... That works with no problem.
Old 06-20-2010, 02:06 PM   #58
Dale
Banned

Sorry that didn't help.

As you have seen, Jim doesn't have a Windows 7 machine. And you were supposed to thoroughly test MA3 and see it worked properly, before you paid for it.

We've been told that Prolific supports MA3 on Windows 7, so you can email them. http://www.serenescreen.com/support/tech.php

When you get a reply, it will be helpful to others if you let us know what they say.
Old 06-21-2010, 05:34 AM   #59
spetro
Semper Paratus

Please don't get me wrong. I love the changes made these past weeks! The music feature for me was never used...thats why it took so long to find it as an issue. I think its the best $10.00 bucks I've spent!

Again. I think the issue is on my end. There are others here with W764 without any problems. I shot them an email as you suggested for others that may need it. We'll post any help here in this thread they may provide.

THANKS for the help!!!
Old 06-21-2010, 09:05 AM   #60
Jim Sachs
Developer

In thinking back, I seem to remember the previous instance of this being caused by a missing .dll file. Something about W7 not automatically installing one of the DirectX music drivers.
Jim Sachs
Creator of SereneScreen Aquarium
Jim Sachs is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum > SereneScreen Products > Marine Aquarium 3 for Windows