Home Register Arcade Gallery Chatroom Members Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Log In
Go Back   Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum > SereneScreen Products > Marine Aquarium 3 for Windows
Notices

Old 04-13-2009, 03:36 PM   #21
Dale
Banned

Originally posted by feldon33:
When you want the Aquarium to send its frames to the graphics card when it is ready, not before and not after.

This will prevent "juddering" or "tearing" for lack of better of word when the camera is moving as the viewport is showing before-and-after updates of the screen.  
OK - so why wouldn't that be just the normal (default) behavior? Alternative question: when would I *NOT* want the "Wait for vertical sync" selected?
Dale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 03:52 PM   #22
Jim Sachs
Developer

Smoother animation is possible if the program runs slightly faster than the screen refresh. Even though some of those frames get thrown away, there is always a frame ready to draw for each refresh of the monitor. Vertical Sync limits the frame rate to the refresh rate, so if the program has taken longer than (typically) 1/60th of a second to create a frame (due to other programs grabbing the CPU), it will have to skip the current refresh and wait until the next top-of-display signal from the monitor.

The main drawback is for systems (like mine) which can't maintain the same fps as the monitor. At 1920x1400x16, I get about 40 fps. But with Vertical Sync on, I'm limited to every-other-refresh, or 30 fps.
Jim Sachs
Creator of SereneScreen Aquarium
Jim Sachs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 04:14 PM   #23
feldon34
Forum Administrator

Originally posted by Dale:
OK - so why wouldn't that be just the normal (default) behavior? Alternative question: when would I *NOT* want the "Wait for vertical sync" selected?  
Well fortunately I'm not of the school of development where the program should just make arbitrary decisions for the customer assuming it knows best.
"Journalism is printing what someone else does not want printed. Everything else is public relations." - George Orwell
"If voting changed anything, they'd make it illegal." - Emma Goldman
feldon34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 04:47 PM   #24
Dale
Banned

Jim, thanks for explaining.

Well fortunately I'm not of the school of development where the program should just make arbitrary decisions for the customer assuming it knows best.  
Having read Jim's explanation of advantages and disadvantages, and "why it matters", I quite agree.

However, I'm not of the school of development where the program should provide an option with a name like "Wait for vertical sync", without some way for the normal user to get an explanation, or observe some behavior that might cause the user to change the option setting.
Old 04-13-2009, 10:13 PM   #25
StuDisney
Registered

Originally posted by Jim Sachs:
Before sending email to Prolific, check the Keycodes section of the SereneScreen website.  
Keycode section verifies my keycode.
but said I have to pay $9.95 to upgrade to 3.0
Befor I pay the money, don't I rember somthing about a discount for Beta testers?
"Our greatest natural resource is the minds of our children."

“Growing Old is Mandatory - Growing Up Is Optional”
StuDisney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 10:29 PM   #26
Ralph
Retired

1 Highscore

I forgot to mention that this version also a Wait For Vertical Sync option in Display Settings.  
This must be a card specific thing??? I do not see this option anyplace
Ralph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 10:46 PM   #27
Jim Sachs
Developer

StuDisney - Send me a PM with your info.

Ralph - If you have more than one monitor, the option did not show up on the Display Settings page in Beta10. It does in Beta10a, which I posted about an hour ago.
Jim Sachs
Old 04-14-2009, 06:53 AM   #28
pvernam
wobbegong

Before sending email to Prolific, check the Keycodes section of the SereneScreen website.  
I did that, but it did not address the situation that I am in (see below).

Originally posted by StuDisney:
Keycode section verifies my keycode.
but said I have to pay $9.95 to upgrade to 3.0
Befor I pay the money, don't I rember somthing about a discount for Beta testers?  
I don't recall there ever being a discount for beta testers, but Jim's initial post in the "Marine Aquarium 3 Beta RELEASE & DOWNLOAD" thread (dated 10-10-2008) says "Marine Aquarium 3 is free to recent purchasers of Marine Aquarium 2.6." I purchased an upgrade to MA2.6 (from 2.0, which had been an upgrade from the 1.0 CD version) on 10-11-2008, so I would think that would count as "recent". And, as I said earlier, this 2.6 keycode had worked fine all the way up through beta9m, but it does not work with beta10 (or beta10a), or with the "official" beta9m that I downloaded from the SereneScreen web site yesterday.
pvernam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 08:54 AM   #29
Ad_Enuff
Registered

For me Beta 10a isnt working at all. I have dual screens running on Windows XP SP2, Direct X9c March2009, Mobile Intel 945GM Graphics Card.

The error if you call it that, simply shows the settings panel and nothing else. Screensaver doesnt activate.

Last version ie 9M was working just fine.
AMD Ryzen 5 2600X, 3600.0 MHz, 16Gb DDR4 RAM, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti, 4Gb RAM, Windows 10 PRO 64Bit
Ad_Enuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 08:57 AM   #30
Rosenfritz
Registered

When you want the Aquarium to send its frames to the graphics card when it is ready, not before and not after.

This will prevent "juddering" or "tearing" for lack of better of word when the camera is moving as the viewport is showing before-and-after updates of the screen.  
Thank you!
1) I really thought I just couldn't see it (or it was where I wasn't looking).
2) It (Wait for Vertical...) completely solves the tearing (I think I called them artifacts, which might actually be a more accurate term, now that I read the reason for them...).
I realize that you "give to get" (as in all engineering), and that setting Monitor 2 to 16 bit (at least in my case) fixes it too, and you must be able to exceed the vertical interval with CPU processing to maintain 60Hz frame rate.... but oh, the beauty!
Thanks again for the feature, all!
Rosenfritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 09:40 AM   #31
Jim Sachs
Developer

pvernam - send me a private message with your info.

Ad_Enuf - That's a very odd bug. What happens when you right-click the icon and choose "Test"?

Rosenfritz - Glad it's working for you!
Jim Sachs
Old 04-14-2009, 09:53 AM   #32
Ad_Enuff
Registered

Ad_Enuf - That's a very odd bug. What happens when you right-click the icon and choose "Test"?  
I've removed my registry Keys and gone back to using "TESTFISH" to test the screensaver.

So by right clicking and selecting Test it does the same, it pops up with the Registry TESTFISH then it pops up with the Marine Aquarium Settings pop up box then hangs and doesnt activate the screensaver.

This is installed on my Work laptop.......9M was working just fine before across both my dual screens.
AMD Ryzen 5 2600X, 3600.0 MHz, 16Gb DDR4 RAM, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti, 4Gb RAM, Windows 10 PRO 64Bit
Old 04-14-2009, 11:15 AM   #33
Jim Sachs
Developer

This is a total mystery to me. Is anyone else having this problem?
Jim Sachs
Old 04-14-2009, 05:17 PM   #34
Dale
Banned

Originally posted by Ad_Enuff:
I've removed my registry Keys ....  
Could it have something to do with this?

I would suggest the following:

1. Delete everything in C:\Documents and Settings\Username\Application Data\Marine Aquarium 3\ (or equivalent if you're using Vista)

2. Use the SereneScreen installer version to install 9m (Don't enter registration code).

3. Then repeat your test with version 10x.
Old 04-14-2009, 08:15 PM   #35
Ralph
Retired

1 Highscore

Beta 10 is the first beta to require the MA3 serial... all previous (beta's) would work if there was a valid SS2.6 serial... Which could account for Add_Enuff's woes.. (possibly?)

At least for me this (beta10) was the first time I had to use my MA3 serial
Ralph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 09:26 PM   #36
Jim Sachs
Developer

Ad_Enuff - have you tried renaming the file as an .exe, instead of an .scr?
Jim Sachs
Old 04-15-2009, 01:36 AM   #37
wong01
Registered

Beta 10

Any Beta 10 version with an installer?
wong01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 02:27 AM   #38
Ad_Enuff
Registered

Ad_Enuff - have you tried renaming the file as an .exe, instead of an .scr?  
YES THAT WORKS! Why I have no idea!...thats a weird bug

Of course that doesnt solvethe overall bug...when its SCR it fails to run....when its an EXE it works. Also I've noticed a 50% hit in FPS

Last edited by Ad_Enuff; 04-15-2009 at 09:19 AM.
Old 04-15-2009, 07:35 AM   #39
feldon34
Forum Administrator

Originally posted by wong01:
Any Beta 10 version with an installer?  
The installer version only changes every 4-6 weeks. There is no reason you cannot just download Beta 10 and run it.
"Journalism is printing what someone else does not want printed. Everything else is public relations." - George Orwell
"If voting changed anything, they'd make it illegal." - Emma Goldman
feldon34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 09:55 AM   #40
Jim Sachs
Developer

Ad_Enuff - for some reason, your system is not recognizing the .scr filetype, and adding the proper program argument (-s in this case). When you double-click on the file, Windows is supposed to interpret it as "[filepath]MA3Beta.scr -s". You say that this is a work computer - is it possible that someone has disabled the screenaver capability on it?
Jim Sachs
Go Back   Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum > SereneScreen Products > Marine Aquarium 3 for Windows