Home Register Arcade Gallery Chatroom Members Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Log In
Go Back   Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum > SereneScreen Products > Marine Aquarium 3 for Windows
Notices

Old 02-03-2003, 04:20 AM   #641
Yellow Tang
YT

Tournaments Won: 1

Re: Custom fish models: let us "roll our own!" (:

Originally posted by Pres
Even funky non-realistic cartoon fish, lil' bitty whales, submarines and the like might be possible.
Oh no! I prefer it real. As real as possible. These things were mentioned many times before, but furtunately will never come true.
Yellow Tang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2003, 06:27 AM   #642
Jav400
Administrator

22 Highscores

Pres,

Jim has always said that his worst nightmare would be to see "cartoon" fish in some form or the other swimming around in his aquarium. If something like that ever comes to pass, it would probably be some hacked aftermarket thing. Jim would never support anything like that. He wants this to be the closest thing to reality that he can produce.
Jav400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2003, 10:26 PM   #643
Jav400
Administrator

22 Highscores

Since the juvenile only consideration has obviously past with the upcoming Imperator, I would like to add another fish to the list. The Bluefaced Angel. With the proper lighting the face on this one would be outstanding, it has long been a favorite of mine. I had one in my home aquarium for some time. This photo doesn't do justice to the real thing, but it gives you an idea.
Attached Images
File Type: gif bfa.gif (32.7 KB, 344 views)
Jav400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2003, 03:57 PM   #644
feldon34
Forum Administrator

Without actinic light, though, the face is dark blue.
"Journalism is printing what someone else does not want printed. Everything else is public relations." - George Orwell
"If voting changed anything, they'd make it illegal." - Emma Goldman
feldon34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2003, 07:42 PM   #645
Vish
Registered

I would like to see pulsing xenia in future...

I got the attached image from www.nano-reef.com from one of lizabeth's post.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg pepxenia.jpg (62.2 KB, 301 views)
--Vish
Vish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2003, 08:31 PM   #646
feldon34
Forum Administrator

Pretty sure Jim wants to do one of these. Very nice photo!
"Journalism is printing what someone else does not want printed. Everything else is public relations." - George Orwell
Old 03-12-2003, 06:56 PM   #647
Wizwad
Only me...

I know someone has already mentioned the Sally Lightfoot Crab, but I'm not sure if they meant the true Gallapagos Sally Lightfoot or the one I prefer, so I put it forward for your consideration:

Sally Lightfoot (Percnon Gibbesi)
http://www.ffexpress.com/images/inverts/crabs/20443.jpg

Dark green with nice light green markings. It would make a nice addition to all the red, yellow and blue stuff that's already there.
Mark
-----------
Intel i7 12700K | Aorus Z690 Pro | Corsair DDR5 5600 32GB | Asus Dual RTX3060ti 6GB v2 Mini OC | Corsair RM850 Gold PSU | 1TB NVMe M.2 WD Black SN850 | 4TB Seagate BarraCuda HDD | Corsair Airflow 5000D Case | HP 32QHD 4K Monitor | Windows 11 x64 Professional
Wizwad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2003, 07:26 PM   #648
cjmaddy
Registered

Mark, If you put img tags on that link you will get this:-

Just thought I would mention it!
cjmaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2003, 08:35 PM   #649
Wizwad
Only me...

Ooh!

[Quickly posts reply, plays with tags, previews - Eureka!]

I didn't realise it was that easy! Thanks Cliff!

edit: ffexpress has just changed their site around. I'd post the new picture link, but it's not nearly so good. Now looks like a skydiving spider!
Mark
-----------
Intel i7 12700K | Aorus Z690 Pro | Corsair DDR5 5600 32GB | Asus Dual RTX3060ti 6GB v2 Mini OC | Corsair RM850 Gold PSU | 1TB NVMe M.2 WD Black SN850 | 4TB Seagate BarraCuda HDD | Corsair Airflow 5000D Case | HP 32QHD 4K Monitor | Windows 11 x64 Professional

Last edited by Wizwad; 03-13-2003 at 04:54 PM.
Wizwad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2003, 09:04 AM   #650
BigScreen
Registered

What is the possibility of having fish swim from one aquarium to another?

By this, I mean that people could register with a common server somewhere that would allow fish to swim from my aquarium in Wisconsin to someone else's aquarium in Texas.

Since everyone has the same selection of fish, this wouldn't exactly be very exciting, so it would require that some "special" fish be created, I think.

For example, if a new fish/creature were created, say a Moorish Idol or hermit crab, the new fish would only be shown to me when that fish swam into "my" aquarium.

The software would need to be able to communicate across the Internet for this to work, so dial-up users may be at a disadvantage if they're not running the aquarium in a window.

Scenario:

My screensaver kicks in and looks for a connection to the SSA server.

Server responds, software registers itself for the "Moorish Idol" queue.

Feldon's program is currently showing the Moorish Idol, and it just swam off the screen, so his program tells the server that the fish is now available.

Server randomly picks a new person (in this case, me) out of the waiting queue and waits for a request from that person (or sends a ping down a port to their IP?) to give it the fish.

Fish now appears in my aquarium until it swims off-screen, and the process is repeated.

Having a special fish (or multiple special fish) makes it an event to have that fish appear on your aquarium. This could also be a way to reward registered users, or it may be a way to generate a small bit of extra revenue for future development of the product.

A feature like this would most likely generate some buzz in the press, which would benefit the program, and likely spur purchases of the software. This fact alone may negate the need to charge extra for it.

Now comes the magic question, would I pay for this feature? Yes, I would, but a small amount, say $5 a year or something like that. I would also consider paying for it in conjunction with a creature pack or a yearly subscription of new features (a la Stardock's Object Desktop Network).

Is this just out there in left field?
Scott J.
Publisher of The BigScreen Cinema Guide
BigScreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2003, 09:21 AM   #651
feldon34
Forum Administrator

BigScreen,

We've had a couple of requests for this. Could be very interesting.
Old 03-14-2003, 09:48 AM   #652
patscarr
Pet Shark

1 Highscore

I have actually seen this before in another program. Cant remember the name right now, but it was kind of cool. When a new fish entered my screen, its owners information (name, location, etc...) was listed in a small window. Gosh, that was a long time ago. Before I found SerenScreen even. Anybody else remember this program?
Patrick

Last edited by patscarr; 03-15-2003 at 12:31 AM.
patscarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2003, 12:34 AM   #653
patscarr
Pet Shark

1 Highscore

Frieda

Can't wait to see one of these in our aquarium.

Frieda, a nine-month-old female octopus, grips a jar containing her favorite seafood snacks of shrimps, crabs and clams at Munich's Hellabrunn Zoo March 14, 2003. Frieda learned to open a jar about three months ago and shows off her dexterity to visitors every Monday and Wednesday.

Have any of our European friends seen Frieda live?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg frieda.jpg (20.0 KB, 210 views)
Patrick
Old 03-15-2003, 12:46 AM   #654
feldon34
Forum Administrator

Hardware Requirements for SereneScreen Aquarium 7:

DirectX 12
GeForce 8 or ATI Radeon 14200 or better
Old 03-15-2003, 02:07 AM   #655
IXNAY
Green Frog

Haha yes, Jim will need a lot of time for it. Maybe Creaturepack 2011
But it looks cool Pat, would like to see it too
IXNAY

*dreaming of the serene terrarium*

- My Private Homepage -
IXNAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2003, 03:58 AM   #656
Swede
Registered

patscarr wrote:
I have actually seen this before in another program. Cant remember the name right now, but it was kind of cool. When a new fish entered my screen, its owners information (name, location, etc...) was listed in a small window. Gosh, that was a long time ago. Before I found SerenScreen even. Anybody else remember this program?
Was it the DALiWorld program? It seem to have the feature mentioned. I haven't tried it so I don't know for sure.

http://www.daliworld.net/index2.html
4x / F C Am G F C Am G //
Chorus: 3x /F C Am G F C Am G//
Swede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2003, 07:09 AM   #657
patscarr
Pet Shark

1 Highscore

Yup, that was it Swede. Thanks for the link, I think I'll give it another try. Maybe it'll refresh my memory of why I uninstalled so long ago.

Now how did this other screen saver get into this forum?
Patrick
Old 03-15-2003, 03:43 PM   #658
BigScreen
Registered

Originally posted by Swede
patscarr wrote:

Was it the DALiWorld program? It seem to have the feature mentioned. I haven't tried it so I don't know for sure.
That was probably where I came up with the idea. The name sounds familiar, so I must have read about it when it first came out.

Nonetheless, it seems like a pretty cool feature to me!
Scott J.
Publisher of The BigScreen Cinema Guide
BigScreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2003, 12:24 AM   #659
patscarr
Pet Shark

1 Highscore

Yes, I also think it would be a cool feature to add to the SSA.
Patrick
Old 03-20-2003, 11:50 AM   #660
CephaloP
lurking in the shadows...

Cool

I just noticed, the fish on the wishlist are no longer marked as "will likely be seen in the Aquarium" or "will never be seen in the Aquarium, may appear in another Prolific screensaver." Is this because fish creation for the SSA has now been opened up to other Prolific artists, and so the possible "future screensaver" has in effect been combined with this one? So maybe we'll see some of these fish in later Prolific updates of the Aquarium?
CephaloP is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum > SereneScreen Products > Marine Aquarium 3 for Windows