Home Register Arcade Gallery Chatroom Members Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Log In
Go Back   Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum > SereneScreen Products > Marine Aquarium 3 for Windows
Notices

Old 01-23-2010, 08:13 AM   #21
Jav400
Administrator

22 Highscores

Originally posted by Jim Sachs:
Beta testing is about reporting bugs.

A difference in Build numbers is not a bug.
A difference in filesize is not a bug.  
I'm not sure how much more plain it can be stated. The purpose of this forum is for reporting bugs in the program first, and second Morgan and I hope we make it a pleasing place for people to want to come and enjoy.

This tediousness with this topic is getting old for everyone involved. It was closed once. Lets let it go people.........

Although we hate being draconian - the next step if this request is ignored is for Morgan or I to lock out members. Please don't make us get to that point.
Jav400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 09:20 AM   #22
Jim Sachs
Developer

Michael - Please don't lock out members. In fact, don't even close this thread - it might just pop up again somewhere else. If people really need a place to gather and discuss inconsequential minutae, let's keep this as the thread for it.
Jim Sachs
Creator of SereneScreen Aquarium
Jim Sachs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 10:13 AM   #23
Dale
Banned

Originally posted by cjmaddy:
My final comment on this subject.... JohnWho and Dale: This sort of behaviour can only be interpreted as disruptive to the smooth running of this forum, which for the major portion of the nine years I have been here, we have all been privileged to enjoy

This endless returning to the same, unnecessary, closed, and pointless topics, is argumentative and insulting to all...

.... I suggest you accept that and allow us all to move on.  
Please note that I have simply been answering your questions.

I apologize for initially posting the information about file sizes in the wrong place https://www.feldoncentral.com/forums...ead.php?t=5202

That well-intentioned placement error on my part apparently caused this disruption.
Dale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 12:45 PM   #24
feldon34
Forum Administrator

It seems too much information is causing speculation to run rampant.

I have cleaned up and simplified the Marine Aquarium 3 Forum. References to "Beta" and release versions have been greatly reduced.

If you want to make sure you have the latest Aquarium, download it from SereneScreen.com. There have been no new versions of the Aquarium released by Jim since June, 2009.
"Journalism is printing what someone else does not want printed. Everything else is public relations." - George Orwell
"If voting changed anything, they'd make it illegal." - Emma Goldman
feldon34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 01:57 PM   #25
Dale
Banned

Thanks for the reorganizing, and in particular I think that removing "Beta" from lots of places was a great improvement.

Originally posted by feldon33:
It seems too much information is causing speculation to run rampant..  
I'm confused by that. [Current events: we do/don't need to know what's in that 2700-page health bill???]

I have always believed that information shouldn't be hidden, and that complete, accurate information results in less speculation.
Old 01-23-2010, 02:03 PM   #26
feldon34
Forum Administrator

Wow, comparing the Aquarium to Obama's disastrous policies. We've reached an all new low.
"Journalism is printing what someone else does not want printed. Everything else is public relations." - George Orwell
Old 01-24-2010, 11:22 AM   #27
jleslie
Engineer

Political comments included...
jleslie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 11:32 AM   #28
feldon34
Forum Administrator

It's as good a reason as any to enforce the forum rules.
Old 01-24-2010, 12:43 PM   #29
Dale
Banned

OK, folks - My comment was intended to illustrate whether complete, accurate information is helpful. I commented on process, and public feeling about that process.

I tried to pick a current example about keeping information secret, that would be clear to most people. I did not comment on whether the health bill is good, bad, or indifferent (because without information how would we know?). And I did not say anything about President Obama.

Originally posted by Dale:
[Current events: we do/don't need to know what's in that 2700-page health bill???]

I have always believed that information shouldn't be hidden, and that complete, accurate information results in less speculation.  
So, if politics (or the President) (or some relationship to the quality of MA3) has been interjected into this topic...

Wow, comparing the Aquarium to Obama's disastrous policies. We've reached an all new low.  
Originally posted by jleslie:
Old 01-24-2010, 01:01 PM   #30
Dale
Banned

As I have said before, this is your forum and you have every right to administer it in any way you want.

It's as good a reason as any to enforce the forum rules.  
I've apparently been violating some of them, and I've been negligent in reading them recently. I looked in the Quick Links and the FAQ and couldn't find them. Could you point me to them, please?
Old 01-24-2010, 01:39 PM   #31
Jav400
Administrator

22 Highscores

Pretty easy to find, they are stuck at the top of the coffee house.

Forum Rules
Jav400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 02:28 PM   #32
JohnWho
Registered

Question

Originally posted by Jav400:
Something either ironic or odd about the Forum Rules being in the "Off Topic" section of the board, is there not?
JohnWho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 02:33 PM   #33
Dale
Banned

Originally posted by Jav400:

Forum Rules  
Thanks - I wasn't even aware of that forum (it's off the bottom of my screen when I go to https://www.feldoncentral.com/forums/ )
Old 01-24-2010, 03:54 PM   #34
feldon34
Forum Administrator

Originally posted by jleslie:
So, if politics (or the President) (or some relationship to the quality of MA3) has been interjected into this topic...
Originally posted by Dale:
I'm confused by that. [Current events: we do/don't need to know what's in that 2700-page health bill???]  
Yes, it seems Politics have been interjected into this topic.

It seems trying to figure out how I'm failing as an Administrator, or how Jim is failing to document what version of the software out there, is more important than having a worthwhile forum experience here.

I think maybe I need to make some substantial changes around here in the arrangement of the forums, how the forums are run, and seriously consider who is allowed to post here. After 9 years, we've got a community of about 10 active posters, many of whom have expressed complaints about me or each other. Michael and I have put way too much work into this forum to have achieved so little.
Old 01-24-2010, 04:26 PM   #35
Dale
Banned

Assuming that my usage of legislative secrecy (as an example) is considered "politically charged", I apologize. I would go edit it, but it's already been quoted by others.

It seems trying to figure out how I'm failing as an Administrator...  
I am an administrator of other forums, and appreciate the largely-unsung work required. And I "never" publicly criticize anything that a forum administrator does.

If that comment is aimed at me, please point me to the offending posting(s) so that I can change them, and apologize.
Old 01-24-2010, 04:29 PM   #36
harris
Registered

I think maybe I need to make some substantial changes around here in the arrangement of the forums, how the forums are run, and who is allowed to post here. After 9 years, we've got a community of about 10 active posters, many of whom have expressed complaints about me or each other. Michael and I have put way too much work into this forum to have achieved so little.  
I believe you are selling your SereneScreen forum accomplishments short. It is a very good forum and I believe has more than 10 active posters - it's just been so long since there has been an update to discuss that they are not posting as often. I'll bet they are monitoring the forum though.

There are so many different personalities in this world, and most of them are displayed in this forum, so acceptance and patience should prevail. With that said, at times you must have a very tough job keeping the peace. Sometimes the statements made by some individuals are so funny it makes me laugh - just as entertaining as a weekly Soap opera.

In closing, I'd like to say that the changes you make will surely be justified, and will improve our experience here.

Last edited by harris; 01-24-2010 at 09:30 PM.
harris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 04:43 PM   #37
feldon34
Forum Administrator

This forum was initially about Jim's 4 screen savers (Marine Aquarium, Butterfly Garden, Terrarium, and Aviary) and, at this point in the game, should be covering and promoting his movie.

But in lieu of that, there is no reason that this forum could not, by now, have developed into a casual, friendly place for people to chat about movies, photography, and general topics. We have never reached that critical mass required to grow as a forum, regardless of the subject.

Offtopic.com has
214,582 members
125,533,279 posts
and an average of 1,500 members active at any one time.
Old 01-24-2010, 05:49 PM   #38
Nicki
Sugar Plum Fairy

Just my two cents, but I like it here. There are a lot of forums out there that are just so unpleasant it's not worth visitng, let alone posting. This isn't one of them. I recently checked out a ballet forum but the rules were so totally unrealistic that I just walked away. You can't join with a hotmail or yahoo email address, has to be a paid email. Good grief. I almost needed a written reference from my instructor ( long time ago, just a dream I had... )

Morgan, you and Michael have a good thing going here.
Run you clever boy. And remember...
Nicki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 07:18 PM   #39
Ralph
Retired

1 Highscore

My 2 cents.. I like it here too, to those responsible for keeping it up and making the improvements that we have all enjoyed over the years.

There will always be those that insist on having the last word no matter how inane the subject or how many times the issue has been answered. They forget, I think, that this forum and the development of the program is essentially done as a labor of love. There are no paid staff members (that I am aware of) to whom these petty issues could be delegated to fix.
Ralph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 08:06 PM   #40
feldon34
Forum Administrator

In the interest of full disclosure, the hosting costs for FeldonCentral are fully sponsored each month.
Go Back   Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum > SereneScreen Products > Marine Aquarium 3 for Windows