Home Register Arcade Gallery Chatroom Members Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Log In
Go Back   Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum > SereneScreen Products > Marine Aquarium 3 for Windows > Marine Aquarium 2 for Windows Archive
Notices

Old 04-05-2008, 09:53 AM   #1501
Jim Sachs
Developer

A couple of years ago, we gave a comedian permision to use the Aquarium as a background for a Comedy Central spot. I forget his name, but I'm sure it's the same one.

As far as the aquarium light packaging, I've notified Prolific.
Jim Sachs
Creator of SereneScreen Aquarium
Jim Sachs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2008, 10:22 AM   #1502
jpjoe
Registered

ok
jpjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2008, 12:45 PM   #1503
Dave Snotear
Registered

Tonight (Fri 01-19-07) during his standup act Ben Bailey had what looked to be about a 20 Ft. projection screen with MA SS playing.The strange thing was that there were no FISH.Just the air bubbles... I posted this on 01-20-07 and there was a bit of a discussion about it at the time.Since that time I've learned that the comedian was Ben Bailey of the "Cash Cab" program on the Discovery Channel.
Dave Snotear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2008, 01:30 PM   #1504
Jim Sachs
Developer

Yep, that's the name - Ben Bailey.
Jim Sachs
Old 04-05-2008, 01:42 PM   #1505
Tiny Turtle
is pleased

27 Highscores

Originally posted by jpjoe:
Ouch!
Thanks to Morgan, Tiny Snapshots is up and running again with "Tiny Järvafält" as the latest addition – Go have a look and tell me what you think.

"We knew the world would not be the same. A few people laughed, a few people cried, most people were silent.
I remembered the line from the Hindu scripture, the Bhagavad-Gita. Vishnu is trying to persuade the Prince that he should do his duty and to impress him takes on his multi-armed form and says,
'Now, I am become Death, the destroyer of worlds.'
I suppose we all thought that, one way or another.
" /Robert Oppenheimer on witnessing the first thermonuclear detonation in history.
Tiny Turtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2008, 11:17 AM   #1506
Jim Sachs
Developer

A quick update on MA3 -
I've been stuck for several days trying to figure out how to allow the program to play music. The user will be allowed to build a playlist from music files on their machine. Dealing with text strings and file paths has never been my type of programming, but I was slowly making headway until I tried to play a default sound track that will be imbedded in the program's Resource file.

Within DirectX, MP3 files must be played with DirectShow, instead of the more intuitive DirectSound or DirectMusic. It would be nice if there was a simple command like LoadFile() to load the sound file, but nooooo. The commands are so arcane, unintuitive, and undocumented as to be almost useless to an amateur programmer like me. To load a file, the command IGraphBuilder::RenderFile() must be used, but it will only load a file from disk or a web URL, not from the application's own Resource. I just spent three full days scouring the Internet and Microsoft docs, not finding any useful info at all on this subject.

Finally, last night I posed a question about this on the Microsoft Developer's Network Forum, and this morning I got an answer that kind of, sort of, points in the right general direction. It will take some detective work to track down all the clues, but at least it's a lead.
Jim Sachs
Old 04-06-2008, 11:34 AM   #1507
Jim Sachs
Developer

Another note -
To save memory, the default music will be a MIDI file. To avoid copyright problems, I needed to use a public domain classical piece, and render it myself. I had not used a MIDI editor since my Amiga days, but I found a good shareware product from Russia, Able Editor 1.3. There is a free trial, so I spent several hours happily putting together a version of Pachelbel's Canon. It was pretty good, so I tried to save it.

I got the message, "Since this copy of Able Editor is unregistered, only the first 60 seconds will be saved". Well, OK - the software had served me well, so I bought a license. There was a glitch in their purchasing system, so it took a couple of days to get a Key Code (during which time I had kept the program running so as not to lose my work). I finally got the Key, entered it, and found the program had to re-started to accept the Key, so I lost all my work. A fatal flaw in an otherwise excellent try-and-buy scheme.
Jim Sachs
Old 04-06-2008, 01:12 PM   #1508
henemly
asdf

Originally posted by Jim Sachs:
Another note -
I got the message, "Since this copy of Able Editor is unregistered, only the first 60 seconds will be saved". Well, OK - the software had served me well, so I bought a license. There was a glitch in their purchasing system, so it took a couple of days to get a Key Code (during which time I had kept the program running so as not to lose my work). I finally got the Key, entered it, and found the program had to re-started to accept the Key, so I lost all my work.  
I feel yer pain. That is a REAL pain!
http://www.coltrain.byethost8.com
henemly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2008, 02:55 PM   #1509
Patrick Gallagher
Registered

MIDI File

Jim,

Good choice! I love Pachelbel's Canon. Please keep on trying for that as your default. I used to be a BIG fan of shareware but things like that kind of slowed me down on using it in for any serious work.
Patrick Gallagher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2008, 03:14 PM   #1510
debavocet
Welcome to the Quack House!

Enough Already!

If this makes a few people mad, here goes: I've been following the postings for a while and noticed demands for increasing complexity for MA 3, now built-in music capability. We can only burden Jim with so much, and if anything, he's been over-patient in trying to accommodate everyone's demands. Let's drop the whole music option and let Jim finish the best aquarium out there. If we want music with our MA, we can switch on the stereo.
debavocet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2008, 03:58 PM   #1511
Jim Sachs
Developer

I've gone too far to drop it now. It has roots all over the program. I don't know if I could remove it even if I wanted to.

Actually, I have to admit that the folks requesting music were right. Other competing programs have it, and it's one of the few additions that really might make a difference whether someone would purchase or not. I've only got a mock-up running, but have now become accustomed to hearing Pachelbel's soothing melody when the Aquarium starts up. I just wish I hadn't lost the nice orchestral MIDI file I had built. The temp version I downloaded isn't terrible, but would never be confused with a real orchestra.
Jim Sachs
Old 04-06-2008, 04:06 PM   #1512
patscarr
Pet Shark

1 Highscore

Debbie, nobody is demanding anything. And if they did, it would fall upon deaf hears. Jim bows to no one. Some forum members were merely kind enough to make some suggestions on how they thought would improve or make MA3 better, and Jim must have agreed with them or he wouldn't spend his time incorporating it into MA3. Jim has mentioned before that MA3 is very close to leaving the Alpha testing stage and going into the Beta testing (or going public) stage. It wont be long now before everyone can enjoy his work. Take a step back, take a deep breathe, and say to yourself three times, "I can be patient. It will be worth it."
Patrick
patscarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2008, 04:07 PM   #1513
patscarr
Pet Shark

1 Highscore

I just wish I hadn't lost the nice orchestral MIDI file I had built.  
Are you going to re-build it?
Patrick
Old 04-06-2008, 04:13 PM   #1514
Wizwad
Only me...

Personally, I'm hoping the answer to that will be, "Yes," but I've also experienced in the past where something I put a lot of work into went kablooie and one tends to get demotivated towards putting all the effort in again when that sort of thing happens.

Jim, all I can say is that now you've got a fully registered program it'll be worth it to go through the effort just once more!
Mark
-----------
Intel i7 12700K | Aorus Z690 Pro | Corsair DDR5 5600 32GB | Asus Dual RTX3060ti 6GB v2 Mini OC | Corsair RM850 Gold PSU | 1TB NVMe M.2 WD Black SN850 | 4TB Seagate BarraCuda HDD | Corsair Airflow 5000D Case | HP 32QHD 4K Monitor | Windows 11 x64 Professional
Wizwad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2008, 04:13 PM   #1515
feldon34
Forum Administrator

Able Editor 1.3. There is a free trial, so I spent several hours happily putting together a version of Pachelbel's Canon. It was pretty good, so I tried to save it.

I got the message, "Since this copy of Able Editor is unregistered, only the first 60 seconds will be saved".

I finally got the Key, entered it, and found the program had to re-started to accept the Key, so I lost all my work.  
I have also spent a very long time working on a Shareware program before and when I go to Save, it gives me this message with no way around it, and no guarantee that buying it will save the file I'm working on.

With pirated software so easy to find, restrictions like this only hurt the legitimate users. And shareware authors wonder why people steal their software.
"Journalism is printing what someone else does not want printed. Everything else is public relations." - George Orwell
"If voting changed anything, they'd make it illegal." - Emma Goldman
feldon34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2008, 05:15 PM   #1516
Jim Sachs
Developer

Pat - Yeah, I'll rebuild it, but first I need to get the programming part done. By then I'll be tired of hearing the temp file, and ready to make the real one.
Jim Sachs
Old 04-06-2008, 06:27 PM   #1517
Marian Nichols
~Author~

Having also lost work I have done, I would attempt to rewrite it from memory but never wrote the same thing again but usually found the second time around that it was better than the first. Boy, would MSWord get upset over that looonnnggg sentence and tell me to consider revising.
Write paranormal mysteries. Six books so far.
Marian Nichols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2008, 11:52 PM   #1518
patscarr
Pet Shark

1 Highscore

How about Handel's Water Music?
Patrick
Old 04-07-2008, 01:21 PM   #1519
memilm
Registered

so much time invested in those "play-music" option...
why not starting the winamp or windows media player in minimized mode with the mp3-list file(*.m3u) as parameter?
memilm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2008, 01:29 PM   #1520
Jim Sachs
Developer

I guess they just want the music to start automatically when the Aquarium does without having to fire up a separate program.
Jim Sachs
Go Back   Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum > SereneScreen Products > Marine Aquarium 3 for Windows > Marine Aquarium 2 for Windows Archive