Home Register Arcade Gallery Chatroom Members Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Log In
Go Back   Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum > SereneScreen Products > Marine Aquarium 3 for Windows
Notices

Old 10-10-2008, 11:30 PM   #1
Surferminn
Senior Puddle Jumper

74 Highscores

Scrolling in Window Mode, Margins

1. I like looking at the aquarium in window mode instead of full screen. I set the window to about 11 inches tall by 3-4 inches wide and watch it scroll. However, I note that it does not fully scroll to the left and right margins/end of the aquarium. When I try to manually scroll to the far left or right with the arrow keys, it stops short. Why is that?

2. The more horizontally I stretch out the window, the more of the left and right margins show up in scrolling.

3. When I've stretched out the window as far as it will go horizontally on my monitor, on the right hand side, in the back of the aquarium, it shows a very distinct straight horizontal line between the white gravel and the background which looks unnatural to me -- shouldn't there be some little gravel bumps like in the front glass of the aquarium instead of the straight horizontal line separating the white gravel from the background or am I being too picky here?

4. The left hand side of the margin ends with little bit of the shell cut off, is that the end of the left hand side or is there more?

Edit -- Okay -- I changed the dimensions of my window MA3 and it scrolled to the end of the left and right margins. This is my conclusion -->when the vertical length of the window MA3 is longer than the width of the horizontal side, then the margins are compromised and window MA3 will not scroll to the end of the left/right margins. However, When the horizontal width of the window MA3 is wider than the length of the vertical side, then it will scroll to the far left and right hand sides. I think this is because the natural proportion of MA3 is to be wider than longer.

Nothing Changes if Nothing Changes.

Last edited by Surferminn; 10-11-2008 at 12:44 AM.
Surferminn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2008, 12:27 AM   #2
Jim Sachs
Developer

1. During Alpha testing, it was found that a lot of object holes and other visual anomolies became visible when the camera position got too far left or right, so I limited the travel. The limit is always there, but when you stretch the window into a tall, skinny shape, since the camera can only look straight ahead you don't see as far to the edge from that camera position. If you stretch the window wider, the camera can see farther because of "peripheral vision".
2. Same issue.
3. I may have to put some gravel lumps over there.
4. If the area of gravel past the shell showed, you'd complain that it was too straight.
Jim Sachs
Creator of SereneScreen Aquarium
Jim Sachs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2008, 12:45 AM   #3
Surferminn
Senior Puddle Jumper

74 Highscores

Re no.3, Or you could close the right margin a little tighter so there is no horizontal line, just before the line starts. That would look good too and less work.

Nothing Changes if Nothing Changes.

Surferminn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2008, 12:58 AM   #4
Jim Sachs
Developer

I need to show the whole anemone. A lot will be happening with that.
Jim Sachs
Old 10-11-2008, 02:31 PM   #5
Tiny Turtle
is pleased

27 Highscores

Thanks to Morgan, Tiny Snapshots is up and running again with "Tiny Järvafält" as the latest addition – Go have a look and tell me what you think.

"We knew the world would not be the same. A few people laughed, a few people cried, most people were silent.
I remembered the line from the Hindu scripture, the Bhagavad-Gita. Vishnu is trying to persuade the Prince that he should do his duty and to impress him takes on his multi-armed form and says,
'Now, I am become Death, the destroyer of worlds.'
I suppose we all thought that, one way or another.
" /Robert Oppenheimer on witnessing the first thermonuclear detonation in history.
Tiny Turtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2008, 05:38 PM   #6
feldon34
Forum Administrator

hehehehe can't wait
"Journalism is printing what someone else does not want printed. Everything else is public relations." - George Orwell
"If voting changed anything, they'd make it illegal." - Emma Goldman
feldon34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2008, 06:11 PM   #7
loub516
Registered

I need to show the whole anemone. A lot will be happening with that.
Will that be the first background piece you work on? Please!
LB
loub516 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2008, 06:13 PM   #8
Jav400
Administrator

22 Highscores

The anemone is probably going to take quite a bit of work and time, my guess would be probably something else quicker first.
Jav400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2008, 06:16 PM   #9
loub516
Registered

I'm looking forward to watching as things progress.
LB
loub516 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2008, 10:31 PM   #10
Jim Sachs
Developer

The anemone that you see is one frame of a 2-minute hi-def video which I shot at an aquarium shop in California. I shot it at night, after the customers had left, so there is no light interference or reflections in the glass. It turned out really well, but I need to work out a lot of details on how to implement it in the program. For one thing, the video file is 20 megs. For another, there's no way of looping it seamlessly (the tendrils blow all over the place in no particualr pattern). And finally, the clownfish has to nestle and play among the tendrils.

So, no - the anemone will not be the first object animated.
Jim Sachs
Go Back   Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum > SereneScreen Products > Marine Aquarium 3 for Windows