Home Register Arcade Gallery Chatroom Members Today's Posts Log In
Go Back   Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum > SereneScreen Products > Marine Aquarium 3 for Windows > Marine Aquarium 2 for Windows Archive
Notices

Old 05-29-2002, 10:03 PM   #21
Jim Sachs
Developer

The 1300% markup would only be true if someone were to only buy one copy. The entire reason for the $300 fee is to (emphatically) discourage this. Nearly all manufacturers which offer custom versions of their products charge a high setup fee which gets absorbed when the desired number of copies is purchased. For example, I can have special pens made with my logo on them. The setup fee is $500. If I buy 1 pen, the cost is $501, but if I buy a large number then the price per pen is very low, even including the setup fee.

Hey, I didn't invent this stuff -- it's extremely common. Companies asked for it, with the promise of many copies, so we did it. It's a one-time purchase, with the copies installed on several thousand computers in a major corporation. Once installed, their MIS department has no interest in spending any more time re-installing updates, so I don't plan any.

That's the scenario that's currently in place. If other companies want to distribute copies with their logo as advertisements, and are willing to buy at the distributer level, then we might negotiate a different deal, perhaps cutting a batch of CDs for them. Anyway, all that is in the hands of the sales department.
Jim Sachs
Creator of SereneScreen Aquarium
Jim Sachs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2002, 01:09 AM   #22
chaosworrier
Registered

So am I correct in understanding that the initial $300 is priced to dissuade smaller "entities" just so the larger ones who can afford this feel "special"?

I have no intention of sounding facetious but can find no way of phrasing this question without doing so.

Thanks in advance,
Paul.
Soylent Green is People!

Last edited by chaosworrier; 05-30-2002 at 01:29 AM.
chaosworrier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2002, 01:19 AM   #23
feldon34
Forum Administrator

Special Corporate versions of otherwise consumer products are not particularly uncommon.

Speaking for myself, I can't really think of anything I'd want written on the crystal. I do admit to liking the alternate coral bits arranged around the crystal.

As for autographed posters and other sales bits, when I mention these to Jim, he gets pessimistic. He doesn't think they will sell particularly well. Maybe I need an advanced signup of people who are 100% sure they would buy posters, autographed or otherwise and other items. I am really hopeful that the coffee mugs, etc. are tastefully done, such as just a couple of fish on one side of the mug and a witty quote attributed to Jim Sachs on the other.

What would be really cool is Polo shirts from Land's End with a clownfish and SereneScreen.com embroidered on it. I'll take two.

Oh, and Jim/Prolific/etc. NOW is the time to start talking to Pixar directly (not Disney) about how to capitalize on Finding Nemo.

Anything short of daily phone calls and letters to them over the next 9 months would be a missed opportunity. Nowhere else will such public exposure be available. I say anyone who goes and sees it should be able to buy the Aquarium and mail in their ticket for a $5 rebate on the specialty creature pack and get a poster.

For anyone wondering what the heck Finding Nemo is, it will be Pixar's fifth entirely 3D created film. It's a movie (targeted to kids, but whose humor appeals to all ages) about saltwater fish.

<center></center>
"Journalism is printing what someone else does not want printed. Everything else is public relations." - George Orwell
"If voting changed anything, they'd make it illegal." - Emma Goldman

Last edited by feldon34; 05-30-2002 at 01:35 AM.
feldon34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2002, 01:37 AM   #24
chaosworrier
Registered

I suppose that it could be worse, the corporate variant could have the amazing fluorescent neon singing bobo fish from Southern Borneo (genus species: Ijus Madethisupis) that we would never get.

Paul.
Soylent Green is People!
Old 05-30-2002, 04:22 AM   #25
IXNAY
Green Frog

So there will be no crystal version with the profilic logo for the public?
It could be a good promotion...
IXNAY

*dreaming of the serene terrarium*

- My Private Homepage -
IXNAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2002, 04:58 AM   #26
patscarr
Pet Shark

1 Highscore

Sign me up for at least 20 mugs. I have big family.
Patrick
patscarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2002, 05:02 AM   #27
pipeta
Royal Gramma

Many products have special collector versions which are limited to a small number of copies and sometimes have a different price than the regular product. It is possible to make the crystal version (with Jim's signature on the crystal) available for an extra charge in a limited number of copies (100-500 or something similar).
Just a suggestion. I believe there will be people who will buy it and the effort is very small (just like adding an etching for a company).
pipeta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2002, 10:54 AM   #28
feldon34
Forum Administrator

So there will be no crystal version with the profilic logo for the public?
It could be a good promotion...
I don't think you will ever see this. And I'm not sure what it would accomplish except to dilute the SereneScreen brand. The Aquarium sells itself. It doesn't need a Prolific logo stamped on it.

Prolific is merely the publisher. It's not like they wrote the Aquarium (I'll give them due credit whenever I see the DirectX 7 version).

Disney already gets too much credit for Pixar's films. I don't think Jim should be in the same boat (He's actually already been thru the Disney ringer once).
"Journalism is printing what someone else does not want printed. Everything else is public relations." - George Orwell
Old 05-30-2002, 03:58 PM   #29
chaosworrier
Registered

Then how about strengthening Jim's visibility by having his "logo"?

Also, I would not see the crystal version as diluting but simply as a variant of the same theme.

The best choice, if it was going to happen, would be to simply have both variants in the same s/saver and make the choice of backdrop user configurable.

Paul.
Soylent Green is People!
Old 05-30-2002, 06:23 PM   #30
feldon34
Forum Administrator

I am really wondering if the obsession with the crystal version of the Aquarium is so strong because it's not available.
Old 05-31-2002, 07:13 AM   #31
Yellow Tang
YT

Tournaments Won: 1

Yes Morgan, that's the point!!! ;-)
Yellow Tang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2002, 11:08 PM   #32
Axle
Registered

n00b question alert

Ok, these crystal things sound vey fancy shmancy.....but what the hell does one look like??

The image i get in my head is that the SS still functions exactly the same way, but at the back theres some sort of logo written in this mysterious and expensive "crystal".

Better yet, has anyone got a screenshot?
Axle Foley
Avid User of SereneScreen Aquarium
Axle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2002, 01:12 AM   #33
feldon34
Forum Administrator

Old 06-02-2002, 02:51 AM   #34
chaosworrier
Registered

Now you can see why we "all" want one!

Paul.
Soylent Green is People!
Old 06-02-2002, 05:54 AM   #35
Axle
Registered

Meesa thinks that once the 3D background is out, eveyone will ever forget about wanting the crystal version.

Im not sure i see whats so great. =P
Axle Foley
Avid User of SereneScreen Aquarium
Axle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2002, 07:36 AM   #36
Tiny Turtle
is pleased

27 Highscores

Put me down on the "Not for me" side.

TT
Thanks to Morgan, Tiny Snapshots is up and running again with "Tiny Järvafält" as the latest addition – Go have a look and tell me what you think.

"We knew the world would not be the same. A few people laughed, a few people cried, most people were silent.
I remembered the line from the Hindu scripture, the Bhagavad-Gita. Vishnu is trying to persuade the Prince that he should do his duty and to impress him takes on his multi-armed form and says,
'Now, I am become Death, the destroyer of worlds.'
I suppose we all thought that, one way or another.
" /Robert Oppenheimer on witnessing the first thermonuclear detonation in history.
Tiny Turtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2002, 08:05 AM   #37
patscarr
Pet Shark

1 Highscore

Morgan always has a screen shot!
Patrick
patscarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2002, 08:40 AM   #38
chaosworrier
Registered

I idea of having a translucent object appeals to me.

Paul.
Soylent Green is People!
Old 06-02-2002, 02:13 PM   #39
grape_jellyfish
Registered

Makes me keep watching for Fred Flintstone to go walking across the screen, cause of the edges of the crystal.

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass....It's learning to Dance in the Rain.
grape_jellyfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2002, 02:16 PM   #40
feldon34
Forum Administrator

I've got a solution for all the people who are dying for Crystal.
Go Back   Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum > SereneScreen Products > Marine Aquarium 3 for Windows > Marine Aquarium 2 for Windows Archive