Home Register Arcade Gallery Chatroom Members Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Log In
Go Back   Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum > SereneScreen Products > Marine Aquarium 3 for Windows
Notices

Old 07-21-2001, 10:57 PM   #361
feldon34
Forum Administrator

Re: feeding

Feeding the fish is coming in the future.

You couldn't do the Aquarium in Flash.
"Journalism is printing what someone else does not want printed. Everything else is public relations." - George Orwell
"If voting changed anything, they'd make it illegal." - Emma Goldman
feldon34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2001, 11:32 PM   #362
Jim Sachs
Developer

Re: My 2 cents worth

mknorr -

Yes, I plan to have Preying Mantis, bees, and other insects in the Butterfly Habitat. If the program turns out anything like I envision it (they usually do), I don't think you will find it "girly".

After that program, I plan a Terrarium with snakes, lizards, tree frogs, etc., then an Aviary.
Jim Sachs
Creator of SereneScreen Aquarium
Jim Sachs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2001, 11:42 PM   #363
Coelacanth
Thought to be Extinct

I've never been quite sure why looking at and appreciating beautiful butterflyfish is acceptable for any gender, but doing the same with butterflies is only acceptable for girls, and sissy behavior for guys. Why is looking at beautiful insects more girly than looking at beautiful fish?

Hey, I find just about all of God's creatures interesting on one level or another, so sue me!

That said, I have to admit that a preying mantis would be a cool addition to the butterfly garden.
Coelacanth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2001, 11:55 PM   #364
mknorr
Registered

I seem to have really caused a bit of controversy here
I find fish and butterflies awesome creatures produced by nature. (No I do not believe in a god, too superstitious for me)
And a mantis snatching a beautiful butterfly from a flower, well that's nature. Don't worry. I intend to buy the butterfly ss when it comes out, even if there is no mantis with a bad attitude. By the way Jim, how did you learn to do this sort of stuff?

Manfred
mknorr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2001, 12:46 AM   #365

Excellent works of digital art

Many thanks for all the hard work that's gone into the Aquarium, it's superb. In Japan, they have similar (but not as good-looking tv monitors w/fish programs on them in major dept. stores (hey a new market).

Wishlist for the aquarium: neon tangs, occasional decorations (eg treasure chest ack), and some kind of background wallpaper choice. The background wallpaper is my highest priority re: what I think would be the most impactful and helpful addition.

Superb work. And hey I was a DOC (defender of the crown) fan for years too (the jousting was the hardest part, the castle attacks/fencing was the most fun).

Nice work, can hardly wait to see what's next. Maybe click-and-explode fish? nah just kidding lol
Old 07-25-2001, 02:28 AM   #366
Shinsa
Registered

Re: Excellent works of digital art

So many comments, so few fingers to type with... must... comment on... mantis...

Hey, Donk's got a great idea, wait I mean Manfred. A mantis in with the butterflies. Only, not a girly looking mantis like the ones we have here in the USA. How 'bout one like they have in Turkey. Man, I saw one there that scarred the Dickens out of me, OY!

I'll see if I can find pictures of them, look like something from "Aliens", and I'm not jokin!
Bob

"When you have excluded the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."

Old 07-26-2001, 12:25 AM   #367
Jim Sachs
Developer

As I have planned for the Aquarium and all SereneScreen programs, the Butterfly Habitat will be non violent. I visualize the Mantis occasionally lunging for a butterfly, but the butterfly would be a little too quick for him. Anyway, this is all WAY down the road and highly speculative. I've still got a lot of work to do on the Aquarium.
Jim Sachs
Creator of SereneScreen Aquarium
Jim Sachs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2001, 07:21 PM   #368
feldon34
Forum Administrator

If Jim puts the Mantis as Shinsa describes, I have to say I won't have this creature switched on in my butterfly garden...

(Thanks to ajlaban for the pictures)

"Journalism is printing what someone else does not want printed. Everything else is public relations." - George Orwell
Old 07-26-2001, 11:08 PM   #369
mknorr
Registered

I'll love those mantises (manti ?) Hope jim does the bottom one.

Manfred
mknorr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2001, 02:30 PM   #370
FishyBusiness
Registered

1 Highscore

Mantis

Isn't this in the wrong WishList?

The mantis does look evil in your pictures, Feldon23. I would only care to see them in the butterfly screen saver if Jim doesn't let them attack everything which he said that he would do.

This is a long time off though. For now I guess he should keep focused on the aquarium.
Frank
FishyBusiness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2001, 11:30 PM   #371
Shinsa
Registered

I've searched for about an hour, can't seem to find a pic that looks anything close to what I saw in Turkey.

So I took the liberty with the second mantis pic that Feldon shows. The one I saw looked a bit less comical, but you get the idea.

So maybe what we need after all is just the plain, old, big green mantis, we are all use to seeing every summer throught the USA.

No sense in scarring little kids when they see this thing pounce out
Bob

"When you have excluded the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."

Old 07-31-2001, 11:25 AM   #372
hpman77
Blue Angel

Re: Mantis

Well, in spain we have the "classic" green mantis, but I would love to see the red one... looks awesome, great for stormy creepy nights LOL

Maybe a green one would be difficult to spot, and that red one is one of the most awesome creatures I ever saw! really incredible... BTW, I'll try to find more pics of different mantis
.:: AMD Athlon XP 1700+ :: 512MB SDRAM :: Windows XP SP1 :: shappire ATI radeon 9600 PRO :: Soundblaster Live Player 5.1 :: Directx 9.0 :: (Always latest drivers for everything) ::.
hpman77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2001, 12:41 PM   #373

Re: Mantis

Guys,

It strikes me that the "plain old green mantis" is a bit boring where you come from - but in England the nearest we have is a ladybird ! Any sort of mantis looks spectacular to me ! :rollin:
Old 07-31-2001, 02:48 PM   #374
Digital Lungfish
Obey the toad!

Re: The Sachs Aquarium WISHLIST

Hey Jim,

Have you considered the possibility of night lights? By this I mean pre-positioned lights behind the coral in various alcoves and such. That way when you turn down both sets of lights (both foreground and background) these would come on and add a nice touch to night time viewing by casting light up from below the surface instead of from above. If you've ever seen a Koi pond at night with these kinds of lights, it's pretty cool actually (even though that's fresh water and this is salt, it really shouldn't matter).

Just a thought...

- DL
Steve
www.tron-sector.com - www.badcartridge.com - www.classicgaming.com - www.dinofish.com
Today is the tomorrow you were worried about yesterday...
Digital Lungfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2001, 08:15 PM   #375

Gr8 idea Digital,....

that would look so incredible
Old 07-31-2001, 09:23 PM   #376
ajlaban
Registered

Digital,

Consider me a fan of your request about the under water lights! Fantastic!
Passed away August 27, 2008.
ajlaban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2001, 10:57 PM   #377
Coelacanth
Thought to be Extinct

This dude looks pretty weird:

Is this what you saw in Turkey?

Also check out some of these weird Malaysian varieties:

Malaysian Mantids
Coelacanth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2001, 03:30 AM   #378
Shinsa
Registered

Coelacanth,

That is VERY close. But the creature I saw was closer in body shape to the average mantis. But the abdomen look a lot like that. That pic is missing the spikes the one I saw had. Imagine three rows of spikes down the back caripace. A row of evil looking spikes down the left and right side, and a row straight down the middle. Spikes on the head, and both sides of the "fore arms".

I can't think of an insect or bug that I have seen, that I havn't handled. I've handled scorpions, sun spiders, tarantulas, and yes, even cock roaches. But this evil looking mantis I just couldn't touch. something about it said "EEEvillll" as if an insect could be.

Seriously though, I hope the one Jim uses is just the average green one. Would be nice to see it spread its wings out wide to threaten the others in the tank. I watched a large green mantis (about 6 inches high) stand its ground this way against a cat. Awesome looking, and very beautiful. Almsot like a peacock.
Bob

Old 08-01-2001, 06:35 AM   #379
Jav400
Administrator

22 Highscores

The way that Ez-Board is set up now, is such that Morgan or I can only move whole topics to other places, not individual posts. They can only be edited or deleted. Who knows what options may happen in the future with Ez-Board, and what features may or may not be added.

When the Butterfly Garden springs into view, a mirror forum may be created to support that Screen Saver. If that is the case, we would have no way of transferring your comments about the Butterfly Garden from here to there in this instance without moving the whole wishlist, which would be uncalled for since 95% of it relates to the aquarium.

So if everyone would continue these comments under the proper topic heading it could help greatly in the future. Please post any comments about the Butterfly Garden here: pub41.ezboard.com/fsachsa...=148.topic

Jim still has many options he wants to add to the Aquarium before he gets to this point, so remember we are getting slightly ahead of ourselves here.
Jav400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2001, 10:42 AM   #380
feldon34
Forum Administrator

UBB lets you move individual posts to a new topic or forum. EZBoard might add this some year...
Go Back   Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum > SereneScreen Products > Marine Aquarium 3 for Windows