Home Register Arcade Gallery Chatroom Members Today's Posts Log In
Go Back   Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum > SereneScreen Products > Marine Aquarium 3 for Mac OS X > Marine Aquarium 2 for Mac OS X Archive
Notices

Old 10-21-2003, 06:54 AM   #1
Debs
Registered

see-through fish

Hi there -

I'm hoping someone can help me. The problem is that whenever my Aquarium Screensaver kicks in some of my fish are see-through. You can kinda see that they are there but something is definitely wrong.

I'm on a slot-loading iMac G3 400MHz
Jaguar v. 10.2.8

It can't be the version of Jaguar because I've just upgraded and the screensaver was dodgy on the previous version too.

Has anyone else had the same problem??

Debs x
Real fish die
Debs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2003, 09:06 AM   #2
Michael Babin
Mac Development

Is your machine an iMac DV 400 model? When you run Apple System Profiler, does it list your video card as an ATI Rage 128 VR? If so, Apple has had problems with the OpenGL driver for that model/card since Mac OS X was introduced. Several OpenGL developers (particularly game developers) have encountered problems on that particular configuration. These problems have ranged from kernel panics to display anomalies (such as what you are seeing). Apple is aware of the problem (has been for quite a while), but has not fixed it yet (as far as I know).

If your machine is not that particular model and you do not have that particular video card, please let us know so we can investigate further.
Michael Babin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2003, 11:08 AM   #3
Debs
Registered

See-through fish

Hiya -

Thanks for replying.

Ah. It seems as though I do have one of the above mentioned models. However, since posting I've been messing around with the programme configuration to see if that will help. And...

In ticking the 'Limit frame rate' my see-through fish seem to be whole again. I'm not sure what a Limit frame rate is but I'm happy for now. Thanks for taking the time to post.

Debs x
Old 10-21-2003, 03:28 PM   #4
Michael Babin
Mac Development

Hi Debs,

Glad to hear that you found a way to get it working on your system. FYI, the limit frame rate setting controls how many frames per second MA tries to draw. If it is set to less than the maximum your machine is capable of, then it reduces the CPU and system resource usage.

- Michael
Michael Babin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2003, 03:44 AM   #5
Debs
Registered

see-through fish

Hi again -

Unfortunately a couple of the fish had turned see-through again when I checked on it later. I noticed that this problem only occured on the fish that were mainly yellow in colour. I've been running the screensaver since with none-yellow fish and all is now well.

Thanks for your time x
Real fish die
Old 10-24-2003, 08:13 AM   #6
JimO'Connor
Mac Development

The problem with the iMac series has to do with their handling of texture memory and this sounds a lot like what you are seeing. I can recommend a new Mac which will speed up EVERYTHING you do. There are some good deals on 800 MHz flat panels available.
Jim O'Connor
Order N Development
JimO'Connor is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum > SereneScreen Products > Marine Aquarium 3 for Mac OS X > Marine Aquarium 2 for Mac OS X Archive