Home Register Arcade Gallery Chatroom Members Today's Posts Log In
Go Back   Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum > SereneScreen Products > Marine Aquarium 3 for Mac OS X > Marine Aquarium 2 for Mac OS X Archive
Notices

Old 10-04-2003, 11:39 PM   #1
Unregistered

MA 2.0 Freezes G5 1.8 with 23" HD LCD

I just bought MA 2.0 and installed it on my G5.
After configuring MA in the System Prefs I clicked on "Test" and my computer froze and my LCD blanked out to a blue screen.
Using a hot corner to activate MA gives my the MA screen with no movement and then it blanked out to a blue screen (computer froze also).
Any ideas????
Karen
Old 10-05-2003, 09:48 AM   #2
Michael Babin
Mac Development

How did the preview look/act in the System Preferences when you were configuring MA? Have you tried the application to see if you get better/different results (running in a window and then full-screen)? Is your system the base Mac OS X system that came with your G5 (10.2.7?) or have you installed/added extras (like haxies, kernel extensions, drivers, etc)?

One of our developers has a G5 (a dual 2 GHz model) with a Cinema Display (22in? not sure, the original large model) and hasn't had any problems running MA 2. I'm surprised and concerned that you are having such problems. We'll do our best to work with you on identifying and solving the problem.
Michael Babin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2003, 03:12 PM   #3
JimO'Connor
Mac Development

Hi,

My 2x2Gig G5 with a 22" Cinema Display had a freeze not attributable to MA similar to what you described but has otherwise had no problem. Are you running 10.2.7 or 10.2.8? Did the problem recur?
Jim O'Connor
Order N Development
JimO'Connor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2003, 09:56 PM   #4
Unregistered

Thanks for the replies.
I am using 10.2.7 and have 2.5gigs of RAM.
The only other thing I have installed is Unsanity's "Mighty Mouse" I just removed it and the same thing occurred again.
????
Old 10-06-2003, 10:10 PM   #5
JimO'Connor
Mac Development

Which video card do you have? Apple runs MA in its compatibility labs and tells us when they encounter problems. So far only the minor one which has caused the Panther update. I'm not familiar with Mighty Mouse. The only thing which can cause a lock up like you are describing is a problem at the driver level. Does the application work okay for you?
Jim O'Connor
Order N Development
Old 10-09-2003, 11:16 AM   #6
JBracy
Registered

17" PowerBook

I was also having problems on my new 17" 1.33Ghz PowerBook. the 2 issues that I have are:

1) With 10.2.7 after about 5 minutes the screen-saver would freeze and I would have to do a hard reset. 10.2.8 seems to have fixed this.

2) With 10.3 (build 7b85) the bubble column is just a white strip.
JBracy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2003, 10:25 PM   #7
JimO'Connor
Mac Development

The white bubble stream is a known problem and is fixed in the MA 2.0.6 (1.1.6 for MAT) release I'm trying to get tested.

Freeze issues are Apple's problem (drivers) and I'm glad to hear that 10.2.8 fixed your problem.
Jim O'Connor
Order N Development
Old 10-11-2003, 10:07 AM   #8
JBracy
Registered

I saw in another thread that your looking for testers. I'll be happy to test the new version for you if you'd like.

Jason
JBracy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2003, 03:48 PM   #9
JimO'Connor
Mac Development

People volunteering to test need to leave feedback at Order N Dev -- please leave your e-mail address because html forms don't have caller id and I have no way of knowing who left the message consisting of "I'll test for you" and no e-mail address. :^)

Thanks.
Jim O'Connor
Order N Development
Old 10-14-2003, 03:06 PM   #10
graphxjoe
Registered

I'm running MA2 on a G5 Dual 2Ghz with 2.5GB RAM, Radeon 9600 and 20" Cinema Display with 10.2.8. So far, it looks beautiful! No problems at all.
graphxjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum > SereneScreen Products > Marine Aquarium 3 for Mac OS X > Marine Aquarium 2 for Mac OS X Archive