Home Register Arcade Gallery Chatroom Members Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Log In
Go Back   Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum > SereneScreen Products > Marine Aquarium 3 for Mac OS X
Notices

Old 10-19-2009, 05:23 AM   #121
JimO'Connor
Mac Development

Ralph, it isn't quite as much fun as it might look to be from the outside.
Jim O'Connor
Order N Development
JimO'Connor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 12:12 PM   #122
Ralph
Retired

1 Highscore

it never is
Ralph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 06:34 PM   #123
Rosenfritz
Registered

In emailing Prolific, they replied about Goldfish.... I really don't think they read the email. I really don't think they want the business.
Believe me (and others here) - Prolific should be very grateful that what you, Jim S. produce, and what Jim O. is doing with OpenGL is deemed worth it (and it is!).
Prolific seems to believe they have a totally loyal following. They need to get something straight - Jim Sachs & Jim O'connor has a loyal following! Prolific is loosing theirs!
I bought MA3-PC retail from them. I'll buy MA3-Mac from them too. But Prolific should know that, if there was a way to put that money in your hands, Jim & Jim, I would!
Rosenfritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 08:23 PM   #124
Jim Sachs
Developer

Thanks for the kind words.
Jim Sachs
Creator of SereneScreen Aquarium
Jim Sachs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 10:42 PM   #125
smerle@actone.com
Registered

Dark & Gloomy Aquarium

Hi gang - after the long wait I finally gave in and bought the mac version of MA3. I've tried it on my macbook pro 2.0 intel running 10.6 and on a powermac g5 running 10.5. It looks terrible compared to the pc version on the same macbook pro running boot camp.

Any ideas?

Thanks.
smerle@actone.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 10:14 AM   #126
smerle@actone.com
Registered

Update on last post

Turns out the brightness was turned way down on both of the computers I tried, but not on boot camp. It looks great now, so ignore my last post. And I'll buy another copy from you as soon as it's available.

Thanks.
smerle@actone.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 10:40 AM   #127
Ralph
Retired

1 Highscore

From what one (I) can gather from this forum.. a "few" things were nipped for the Mac version to get it out the door. While the PC version had numerous (and still ongoing) beta versions for us to disseminate the Mac version.. translated by "programmers" obviously saw no need for this mundane ritual.

If one can display both versions.. it would be interesting to know how they compare.. visually and features. The one admitted feature removed evidently is multiple monitor support.. what else?
Ralph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 10:50 AM   #128
Duke
Registered

Smile Dual monitors works OK for me

Originally posted by Ralph:
From what one (I) can gather from this forum.... The one admitted feature removed evidently is multiple monitor support.. what else?  
I bought MA3.0 from Nova Dev. using the discount code, and installed it on my MacPro running Snow Leopard. I have dual monitors attached to an ATI 4850 graphics card, and the screensaver shows up on both monitors.

Duke
Duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 11:32 AM   #129
JimO'Connor
Mac Development

Hi Ralph,
We support multi-monitors. We've supported them longer than Windows. We don't do spanning, one tank across multiple monitors. That requires a lot more work than we had time for. The other drop was the ability to change the background color. Rather than implementing a light music playing facility we tie into iTunes and control it. We're about to release a version with less invasive iTunes control.

Hi smerle,
Please pm me with details. The shaders don't translate anywhere near exactly from Mac to PC so I picked the ratio of lighting which made my most particular beta tester happy. Also, there are a lot of differences in the monitor biases between Mac and PC which you may want to look at. Most likely I'm going to add some lighting control so that users can pick a balance between the different lighting inputs because I have no way to make everyone happy. I like a color saturated tank, but the beta testers didn't care for that affect. I think "bright" looks washed out. With the controls, you'd be able to create a "moonlight on the reef" effect, which should be really interesting. PM me if you have detailed suggestions.

Thanks,
Jim
Jim O'Connor
Order N Development
JimO'Connor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 01:41 PM   #130
feldon34
Forum Administrator

Interestingly, in Snow Leopard, Apple has finally changed their Gamma to match a different standard, which corresponds with Windows. So users are waking up to brighter screens. The difference in Gamma has been why QuickTime videos were always so dark on the PC.
"Journalism is printing what someone else does not want printed. Everything else is public relations." - George Orwell
"If voting changed anything, they'd make it illegal." - Emma Goldman
feldon34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 07:29 PM   #131
landrick
Registered

Originally posted by peace:
Tip for everyone that is frustrated: I have a previous version of MA, but instead of waiting for it to appear on the serene screen website and use the upgrade option I decided to buy from the Nova development site using a 30% off coupon that I found online (NOVAREG30). .  
Good post, but a bad outcome for me:

I went through all the steps of registering and purchasing, including a successful use of the discount code. However, I got burned at the download stage after using PayPal to make the purchase: PayPal kicked me back to the vendor page (as usual) after the transaction was done. I landed on an "Avanquest Software eStore" page that asked for my password. I entered the password I had just used to register, but the page rejected it. The page said I would be e-mailed a new password. Two hours passed, and nothing arrived. I tried the "lost password" link, and also got no response.

The really annoying/disturbing stuff: The phone number listed for Nova on the PayPal confirmation page is disconnected. An email sent using the "sales@novadevelopment.com" link on the Nova page immediately bounced with an "address rejected" failure notice. Calling the number on the Nova page just goes to a recording saying to call another number for customer service. THAT number is disconnected. The number on the Nova page also provides another number to call for tech support; that one went to a recording saying to call back during business hours.

So...this has been a nightmare so far. Maybe the problem was trying to use PayPal (usually a trouble-free process.) The money is gone from my account, and I have no product. I don't know whom Nova is trying to impress....but it isn't me. They ARE a real company, right?
landrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 08:17 PM   #132
feldon34
Forum Administrator

Originally posted by landrick:
The really annoying/disturbing stuff: The phone number listed for Nova on the PayPal confirmation page is disconnected. An email sent using the "sales@novadevelopment.com" link on the Nova page immediately bounced with an "address rejected" failure notice. Calling the number on the Nova page just goes to a recording saying to call another number for customer service. THAT number is disconnected. The number on the Nova page also provides another number to call for tech support; that one went to a recording saying to call back during business hours.  
Looks like Reichart (and the rest of us) have been taken for a ride.
"Journalism is printing what someone else does not want printed. Everything else is public relations." - George Orwell
Old 10-26-2009, 10:15 AM   #133
feldon34
Forum Administrator

Marine Aquarium 3 has been released for Mac OS X Snow Leopard.
Go Back   Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum > SereneScreen Products > Marine Aquarium 3 for Mac OS X