Home Register Arcade Gallery Chatroom Members Today's Posts Log In
Go Back   Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum > SereneScreen Products > Marine Aquarium 3 for Windows > Marine Aquarium 2 for Windows Archive
Notices

Old 06-17-2002, 12:47 AM   #1
FirebrandX
Registered

Cool need help with glitches:

I've been using the aquarium screensaver for quite some time now. Recently I noticed some graphic glitches have shown up on the reefs. They seem to be directly related to where certain lines are when you set the view to wire-frame mode. I've since updated to 1.1, but it didn't solve the problem. I can't figure how this could suddenly happen, since I haven't messed with my card drivers or anything like that.

Here's a pic link to show the problem:

http://www.nortexinfo.net/firebrandx/sa11.jpg

If I lower the res to 800x600, the problem goes away. If I raise the res to 1280x1024, the problem changes in appearence.

I get plenty of frame rate (75 at 1024x768) and I have plenty of ram and speed. As I said before, the screensaver ran fine for many months.

My system:

PC pentium 3 600 mhz
Windows 98
256 MB ram
Voodoo 5500 PCI
40 gig hard drive.
FirebrandX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2002, 01:48 PM   #2
Shinsa
Registered

Your Voodoo 5500 is a PCI??? I was under the impression that the PCI Voodoo 5 was only for Macintosh.

I also have the Voodoo 5 5500. I have never seen that artifact, and have used many drivers. But my V5 is an AGP card, not PCI.

Maybe those drivers are defferent.

Also, a Voodoo 5 can not be over clocked very much before causing problems. Make sure its not over clocked.

Over clocking a Voodoo 5 only gives about a 1 or 2 % increase before you begin to see artifacts. When I had mine running about 5% higher (not even enough to notcie the speed increase) I had so many speckles in the video it wasn't worth it.
Bob

"When you have excluded the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."

Old 06-17-2002, 10:02 PM   #3
FirebrandX
Registered

Well it can't be overclocking as I am using the same drivers I've always used. The voodoo 5500 PCI was purchased a mere few days before the company went under. I was pissed because I paid 300 dollars for my card, only to find it dropped to 150 after the company quit.

Oh well, there doesn't seem to be any problems with other games and programs. It may just be my computer is getting old...
Old 06-17-2002, 10:11 PM   #4
FirebrandX
Registered

Good news: I decided to try repairing my original drivers for my voodoo card. It fixed the glitch problems! At some point I had corrupted the drivers while dealing with a virus problem.

People who make virus programs need to be put away for 10 years minimum...
Old 06-17-2002, 10:28 PM   #5
Shinsa
Registered

Good to hear you got it fixed!

[psst... I only paid $120 for mine ]
Bob

"When you have excluded the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."

Old 06-17-2002, 10:42 PM   #6
feldon34
Forum Administrator

Virus writers should be treated more strongly than burglars and vandals. They waste time in downloading them, deleting them, and being extra-careful I don't double-click on one.

I get ~100 viruses a week in my e-mail box.
"Journalism is printing what someone else does not want printed. Everything else is public relations." - George Orwell
"If voting changed anything, they'd make it illegal." - Emma Goldman

Last edited by feldon34; 06-17-2002 at 10:47 PM.
feldon34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2002, 09:33 AM   #7
SpyCatcher
Registered

you may also sovle the problem by installing "montior drivers". Check the bios for the "AGP/PCI" under "power mgt" (I think) this should be set this way" PCI/AGP".
SpyCatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum > SereneScreen Products > Marine Aquarium 3 for Windows > Marine Aquarium 2 for Windows Archive