Home Register Arcade Gallery Chatroom Members Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Log In
Go Back   Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum > SereneScreen Products > Marine Aquarium 3 for Windows > Marine Aquarium 2 for Windows Archive
Notices

Old 02-21-2002, 11:10 AM   #1
Cefalo
Registered

Cool Jim

In which month will we see new features or fishes?
Cefalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2002, 11:16 AM   #2
Jim Sachs
Developer

Yesterday.
Jim Sachs
Creator of SereneScreen Aquarium
Jim Sachs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2002, 11:24 AM   #3
SunKing
Registered

Originally posted by Jim Sachs
Yesterday.
LOL!! Good one Jim! reminds me of a chat log I saw. This band had been working for over a year on their new album, and during a chat to promote it's release someone asked "so when will the NEXT album come out?" ...You could almost hear them grit their teeth.
SunKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2002, 11:50 AM   #4
Tiny Turtle
is pleased

27 Highscores

I'd say there's a good chance of an update happening during a month ending with either "-y" or "-er"...

I'm with SunKing...

/Tiny Patience
Tiny Turtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2002, 12:24 PM   #5
Cefalo
Registered

The reason i asked this

I'm sincere, I'm unhappy of this version. IMHO there are really few new items.
Only a fish, and even if is one of the long awaited fishes, it not seems so real as the others.
And some option that sincerely don't change my life.

Everyone can think as he wants, but i aspected something more.
Old 02-21-2002, 12:35 PM   #6
Jim Sachs
Developer

Cefalo -

As was heavily discussed in the Forum, this version wasn't supposed to contain ANY new features (besides a bug fix in the password protection). All it was supposed to do was get everyone switched over to the new Key Code system before the next big update -- the 3D background.

In December I decided it was time to reward the pre-release users with a special creature, the Lionfish. So I worked very hard to get it into this version, along with the new lighting colors and about 10 other small changes.

Sorry if you are disappointed with the Lionfish. As I said before, it will be improved, but even as it is, I would be willing to have it compared with any other creature ever seen on a personal computer.
Jim Sachs
Old 02-21-2002, 12:39 PM   #7
FishyBusiness
Registered

1 Highscore

Well, I was in the chat when v1.1 was released and it took about 30 minutes for someone to ask what would be next. I predicted 15 minutes but I was wrong.

The main difference was the addition of the Lionfish. No one associated with the making and publishing of the aquarium ever hyped it up. People did that upon themselves. All Jim, Morgan, Michael, myself, and others did was give people a time table as to when version 1.1 would be out.

Two other changes were made that people(in general) would notice, the background color and the ability to keep the starfish from climbing onto the glass. The other changes that were made in the aquarium were changes that most people wouldn't notice.

If there is/isn't any feature in Jim's aquarium that would change someone's life, then I would say that they have some personal problems that needs to be addressed.

I do understand that it is your opinion that the Lionfish is not as real as the other fish and that is fine. It is your opinion and NO ONE can change it. I have always seen Jim promote people's responses to the aquarium.

Who knows maybe in the next version, he will change some things to add depth to the fish....hehe
Frank
FishyBusiness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2002, 12:42 PM   #8
feldon34
Forum Administrator

As I said on the chatroom last night to a disgruntled customer, the gravy train has pretty much run out.

$20 gets you:

<li>all the regular fish (20 so far, more to come in the distant future)
<li>1 special creature (we have the Lionfish and a Starfish)
<li>a 3D background (hopefully coming this Summer)
"Journalism is printing what someone else does not want printed. Everything else is public relations." - George Orwell
"If voting changed anything, they'd make it illegal." - Emma Goldman

Last edited by feldon34; 02-21-2002 at 12:44 PM.
feldon34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2002, 12:46 PM   #9
Cefalo
Registered

Big Grin you are right

I don't want to critic nobody. i love this aquarium and it will be my screensaver for many years.
I only asked when (more or less) there will be a new upgrade, the 3d background 4ex.

Do I ask the moon?
Old 02-21-2002, 12:54 PM   #10
FishyBusiness
Registered

1 Highscore

Cefalo,

No one knows when the 3d background will be done. Not even Jim, himself. MY FACTLESS GUESS is SEVERAL SEVERAL months from now.
Frank
FishyBusiness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2002, 12:55 PM   #11
Jim Sachs
Developer

I will be resuming work on the 3D background as soon as the Key-switch hell has settled down.

As always, I can give no time estimates. Each day I begin work with no idea what obstacles or victories I'll encounter. 16-20 hours later I collapse at the keyboard. Maybe there was progress that day, maybe not.
Jim Sachs
Old 02-21-2002, 01:37 PM   #12
apollo
Registered

Unhappy

You know what......some people are never happy with what they get and I mean never!!!! You bust your butt to give them a good product and it's still not enough.....They want more...Version 1.1 has been out no more than day and some people what to know when 1.2 is coming out.....Give Jim a break he deserves it...

Jim great job on the LionFish
apollo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2002, 01:47 PM   #13
Yellow Tang
YT

Tournaments Won: 1

I agree with apollo, take a vacation jim! The work is done so far, the program (i think this is much more than just a screensaver) is perfect now. Maybe some diving-hollidays to watch more beautiful fishies.
Yellow Tang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2002, 01:54 PM   #14
rcl66
Registered

Did the fish behavior/animation change at all for this version? I have noticed the fish tend to stay stationary for longer periods of time, and on a few of the longer fish their animations seem to be a bit rougher, almost like they are snapping between animations.

Btw - This IS NOT meant to criticize, I just noticed the differences and wondered if the behavior was changed. (I know the fish navigation changed a bit due to the LionFish.).

And that Lionfish rulez!
--Craig
rcl66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2002, 02:03 PM   #15
Jim Sachs
Developer

Yes, there are huge differences in the fish movement. 5 weeks of work because of the Lionfish's extra size. The other fish kept passing through the fins, or coral. Reworked the movement many, many, many times. Beta-testers said good enough, release it. Of course, all that work goes out the window when the 3D background goes in.
Jim Sachs
Old 02-21-2002, 03:13 PM   #16
WONeal
Registered

Unhappy Upset

I am really upset about all the nitpicking Jim is getting about his aquarium. For being a computer program, it is absolutely amazing. I am sure he is working hard on refining and updating the program so LEAVE HIM ALONE. If he has to take time to answer all these messages, it makes it longer before the next upgrade or new program. I am really looking forward to the butterfly program. GOOD WORK, JIM.
WONeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2002, 01:02 AM   #17
bslenter
Registered

agreed

I agree WONeal. A few observations about "nitpicking":

People with a gripe are more likely to speak up than people who are satisfied. That's why this forum is quickly filling up with nitpicks. Don't get the idea that this is the majority, they are just the loudest. I'd bet that there are a huge number of users out there who are staring in complete awe at the amazing new lionfish and the deep blue background (like me).

Nitpicky posts tend to get everyone else all riled up, understandably. But maybe we should all pay a little less attention to the ones that have a negative tone. How anyone can be disappointed with this lionfish is beyond me, and I've seen plenty of real ones. These negative posts are inevitable on a public form discussing an extremely popular product. You've got people of all possible ages, maturity levels, and personalities making comments here... so don't let them get to you. Some people simply cannot be pleased.
bslenter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2002, 08:04 AM   #18
Jav400
Administrator

22 Highscores

Agreed, I was told by a very smart teacher once, ( a very long time ago ) that no matter what you do in life there will always be 45% of the people for you, 45% of the people against you, and 10% that don't care one way or the other. The odds may change somewhat at any given time, but the groups will be the same.

It seems to me Jim that your odds are way above the 45% in the good column. So, keep up the great work.

Last edited by Jav400; 02-22-2002 at 03:10 PM.
Jav400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2002, 03:08 PM   #19
Taxman
Banned

Angry

I couldn't agree more Michael !!
It's a pity some people can't be more productive with their responses but we're all entitled to our opinion. On a personal note the Lionfish far surpassed my expectations and I can't quite follow the negative comments - after all, given the gill and mouth animations surely this is the most realistic fish in the aquarium - not to mention the most handsome!!
I think you're a genius Jim and if you packed your flippers and left tomorrow I for one would be extremely grateful for all you've done.
Taxman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2002, 12:41 PM   #20
EddieWan
JediMaster

Personally, I'm very happy with the aquarium exactly the way it is. I'm not saying I don't ever want to see another upgrade, but as far as I'm concerned, I have gotten much more than my 20 dollars worth from this program, and anything that comes in the future will be purely on a bonus basis.

I will be buying every additional creature though that comes out....
EddieWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum > SereneScreen Products > Marine Aquarium 3 for Windows > Marine Aquarium 2 for Windows Archive