Home Register Arcade Gallery Chatroom Members Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Log In
Go Back   Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum > SereneScreen Products > Marine Aquarium 3 for Windows
Notices

Old 01-29-2009, 09:15 PM   #21
snorkler
Registered

Big Grin

So we all wait until MA3 is "ready" and then deluge Customer Service-- right? COOL!
It's been years, a few more days or even weeks should be no problem, patience all, it is almost in our grasp!

Michael
snorkler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 09:20 PM   #22
Dale
Banned

Originally posted by cjmaddy:
Dale. - I am the last person you could call a Prolific fan, - but you do yourself no favours with your posts.  
It's not my intent to do myself any favors. However, I do have 50 years of experience in this field (not that duration is necessarily an asset), and I've worked in programming, systems analysis, system management, IT management, and (applicably) product marketing and customer support. And I've used lots of software and utilities.

It's my professional opinion that MA3Beta was technically "not ready for release", and that from a technical viewpoint release was premature. The reasons have been thoroughly pointed out by others, in that thread. Having said that, there also management considerations (to which we are not privy) that may have demanded release at this time.

It's also rather clear, from the results, that the SereneScreen e-commerce "rollout" for MA3Beta was "not ready for prime time". That's not a criticism of Jim (although perhaps he took it that way).

I infer, without current proof, that the MA3 installer has not yet been completely designed, and therefore isn't ready for full testing. That's clearly not a criticism of Jim, because he has nothing to do with building the installer. But this forum has been asked to test the installer, and pass judgment on its functions and quality. Enough on that subject.

Now, I've been told before to stop posting about one topic, and I have done so.

This is the MA3 Beta Test Forum. I'm attempting to give my honest opinions, based on experience, and trying to explain my reasoning for them. That's what I thought we all had been asked to do. Once I'm told that my input has been understood by those in charge, I'm happy to move on to another subject. (Understood is not equivalent to "accepted" or "agreed"). The decision of what to do (what to implement, etc.) isn't mine. Jim and Prolific are in charge of that, and rightfully so.

Jim, I don't think I would be happier "over at Dream Aquarium" (wherever that is). However, if you want me out of here, I'm out of here.

Similarly, if Baron Reichart Von Wolfsheild wants me goine, I'll depart gracefully and with thanks for the experience.

If my inferences are unfounded, or if my facts are wrong, I'm sure the forum participants will let me know. My opinions are just that - and other reasoned opinions are welcomed (if I've ever said "your opinion is wrong", I was mistaken).

Having said all of that -- as long as I'm around here, anybody may feel free to tell me to just shut up about some subject. In the past, that has worked.
Dale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 10:08 PM   #23
patscarr
Pet Shark

1 Highscore

Originally posted by Dale:
But those are just my perceptions -- which are often too skeptical.  
I got it.
Patrick
patscarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 10:26 PM   #24
Dale
Banned

Footnote: it's relatively easy to make comments that are critical.

Just so I'm "crystal" clear - I have absolutely no criticisms about the simulation. And it is obvious that Jim has a well-conceived plan for going forward, as well as a "vision" for the distant future.

I have nothing but sympathy and admiration for how Jim (and others) are handling the issues of Vista differences, video driver differences, and the intractable issues of multiple monitors (and multiple resolutions).

All of that is (I predict) going to work very well. [As well as practical, in some cases]
Old 01-29-2009, 10:42 PM   #25
Jim Sachs
Developer

Dream Aquarium is the competition (well, friendly competition). It's currently pretty stable, until Alan makes some drastic changes. So, if you're looking for something with most of the bugs worked out, I'd recommend it.

The thing is, you just don't seem to be having much fun here. I'm allowing people to buy Key Codes for a Beta program, just like I did nearly a decade ago with MA1. Those who like to be a part of the construction process have a ball doing this. Most of them feel like it's Christmas every week, with all the new additions. For $20, the price of lunch, they get years of enjoyment and the satisfaction of supporting the program and the motion pictures I plan to make with the proceeds.

It's Beta - sure, there are going to be bugs. They'll get straightened out. Prolific installed new servers and software in Los Angeles for this release. There will be glitches there, too. Five years from now, nobody will remember a few days of inconveniences.

We had to release. We're starving. You may have heard that the economy is going through a bit of a downturn. No work has been done on my home/studio since last April. Lumber is rotting. Concrete is cracking. I would not survive another year until you would consider MA3 ready for Prime Time.

If you enjoy it here and will allow the rest of us to enjoy it here, stay. If not, other websites are just a click away.
Jim Sachs
Creator of SereneScreen Aquarium
Jim Sachs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 11:30 PM   #26
Dale
Banned

Originally posted by Jim Sachs:
Dream Aquarium is the competition (well, friendly competition). It's currently pretty stable, until Alan makes some drastic changes. So, if you're looking for something with most of the bugs worked out, I'd recommend it.

The thing is, you just don't seem to be having much fun here. I'm allowing people to buy Key Codes for a Beta program, just like I did nearly a decade ago with MA1. Those who like to be a part of the construction process have a ball doing this. Most of them feel like it's Christmas every week, with all the new additions. For $20, the price of lunch, they get years of enjoyment and the satisfaction of supporting the program and the motion pictures I plan to make with the proceeds.

It's Beta - sure, there are going to be bugs. They'll get straightened out. Prolific installed new servers and software in Los Angeles for this release. There will be glitches there, too. Five years from now, nobody will remember a few days of inconveniences.

We had to release. We're starving. You may have heard that the economy is going through a bit of a downturn. No work has been done on my home/studio since last April. Lumber is rotting. Concrete is cracking. I would not survive another year until you would consider MA3 ready for Prime Time.

If you enjoy it here and will allow the rest of us to enjoy it here, stay. If not, other websites are just a click away.  
OK, I understand all of that. (In particular, I had anticipated a release a month ago, for "management" reasons).

A big part of my "stock in IT trade" for the past 15 years has been testing software (against specifications and design), and helping companies find and understand software problems. I enjoy doing that. I think I'm good at it. And I fully understand that "other factors" have a big influence on what problems get fixed, and when.

If you'll help me out by describing what I need to do to "allow the rest of us to enjoy it here", I'll do my damndest to comply.
Old 01-30-2009, 06:24 AM   #27
loub516
Registered

I tried for the beta tester keycode a few minutes ago and received the same message as the first post in this thread. Guess they're still working on the bugs.
LB
loub516 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 07:05 AM   #28
clifdene
Registered

To save $9.95 I could not be bothered even thinking of getting a Beta Tester code. The current offer is far too low as it is for such a product. The purchase went through perfectly. Many thanks to all concerned.
clifdene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 08:33 AM   #29
dwax
Registered

I would also just buy the new key code. But was layed off work. Money it tight and food and rent gets paid first. Thats why I was hopping to get a code from Jim.

Still get this when try to contact customer support.

Please correct errors and resubmit Tech Support Request form.

You must provide the correct passphrase, your name, email address, AND Description of your problem for Customer Service to help you.

Use your browser's 'BACK' button to correct error
Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
By dustywax at 2011-12-13
dwax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 10:13 AM   #30
jimkraz
Registered

I paid the update fee for a "Key" last night, about £7, UK Pound, I feel the man deserves at least that for the work put in and still to do. I was self employed, once, now retired, I could not work for nowt, I'll pay what is required, from my meagre pocket money because I want to have the screensaver, and help it's progression. Jim
Something Fishy Going On
jimkraz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 11:07 AM   #31
Nicki
Sugar Plum Fairy

I just purchased my keycode for MA3 . I never had a code for 2.6 , so I went for the full price purchase - but it's still a bargain in my book .
Nicki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 11:26 AM   #32
Jim Sachs
Developer

dwax - I just tried the Customer Support page and got the same response you did. I'll pass it along to Prolific.
Jim Sachs
Old 01-30-2009, 12:14 PM   #33
JEstr
Customer Service

Guys this is Josh from over a Customer Support. I just want to thank you for the help you've been giving us. It's proven invaluable. We apologize for any problems with the support site, like Jim said we moved servers and have completely redesigned much of the interface in the hopes that it will serve the customers better. We appreciate everything you help us with, and understand the frustration.

Whatever you're feeling, frustrated or calm, angry or happy....in the end it's extremely helpful to us and we appreciate it and we apologize for any inconvenience.

We're working on the support site link now and hope to have it fixed quickly.
Customer Support
Prolific Publishing
JEstr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 12:14 PM   #34
dwax
Registered

Thank you Jim, I tried to send a email to service at serenescreen.com but never got an answer, maybe wrong address?
Old 01-30-2009, 01:26 PM   #35
JEstr
Customer Service

Ok, this problem has been resolved. You should be able to send your requests through now. I'll try to get to all of your requests today, failing that I'll work into Saturday to get these done. Thanks for your patience.
Customer Support
Prolific Publishing
JEstr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 01:27 PM   #36
cohiba420
Registered

Big Grin Thank you sir!

Josh,
Thanks for your hard work too! Just tested it (the support email site) out and indeed is good to go. Best of luck!
cohiba420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 01:40 PM   #37
dwax
Registered

Thank you Josh.
Old 01-30-2009, 01:50 PM   #38
henemly
asdf

Thanks so much Josh, (and Jim S.)
http://www.coltrain.byethost8.com
henemly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 01:55 PM   #39
JamesGreystone
Registered

Originally posted by henemly:
Thanks so much Josh, (and Jim S.)  
Thanks and everyone enjoy your weekend
JamesGreystone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 01:59 PM   #40
Jim Sachs
Developer

Ha, ha - weekend, right.
Jim Sachs
Go Back   Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum > SereneScreen Products > Marine Aquarium 3 for Windows