Home Register Arcade Gallery Chatroom Members Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Log In
Go Back   Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum > SereneScreen Products > Marine Aquarium 3 for Mac OS X > Marine Aquarium 2 for Mac OS X Archive
Notices

Old 07-02-2002, 10:28 AM   #1
feldon34
Forum Administrator

Thumbs Up ** Welcome to the Mac Aquarium Forum!**

Welcome to the SereneScreen Aquarium for Macintosh forum!

This forum is specifically for technical support, questions, comments, and bug reports for SereneScreen Marine Aquarium 2.0, 2.6, and 3.0 for Mac OS 9 and Mac OS X.

If you have not tested the Aquarium on your Mac yet, you're encouraged to download the 3 fish Mac demo and post your comments on it here!
"Journalism is printing what someone else does not want printed. Everything else is public relations." - George Orwell
"If voting changed anything, they'd make it illegal." - Emma Goldman
feldon34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2002, 03:36 PM   #2
Unregistered

ohh right.. anyways.. Love the aquarium on my iMac.... But does anyone know is by any chance is there any plans to work with Nvidia to get some better optimized drivers for their Gforce stuff under OSX?
Old 07-04-2002, 05:26 PM   #3
Unregistered

A dream port for me...I've always lusted after the Windows version, and now I love seeing it on my G4 Cube/Studio Display setup. It runs beautifully with a Geforce2MX (~52fps on "flat out" setting).

I didn't hesitate one bit with the $12.95 price...in fact, I thought that was quite reasonable for such a beautiful piece of software. I even emailed Apple and recommended they include Aquarium in OS X 10.2!

Keep up the good work!!
Old 07-04-2002, 06:15 PM   #4
aholck

Thumbs Down

Very nice!

Thanks for supporting my OS of choise!
Old 07-04-2002, 06:33 PM   #5
JLL
Registered

Thumbs Down

This is great!

Thanks for supporting Mac OS X - I bought it five minutes after reading about it.
JLL
JLL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2002, 08:01 PM   #6
feldon34
Forum Administrator

I'd like to hear comments/concerns/observations/suggestions from Mac users on my Macintosh web area and also SereneScreen.com's Macintosh area.
"Journalism is printing what someone else does not want printed. Everything else is public relations." - George Orwell

Last edited by feldon34; 07-23-2002 at 08:37 PM.
Old 07-06-2002, 01:08 AM   #7
iesposta
Registered

Yes! Yes! I just downloaded and registered.
I'm a longtime Mac user, both at home and at work.
I found the demo for Windows a long time ago, and recently got a Windows system that would run it well. I registered the Windows version about a month ago, and have been "lurking" on this forum, reading postings. ...learned a lot of amazing things, like about the author, Disney, and that people buying the screensaver just to run on an HDTV Plasma display!

When I bought the Windows version, I made sure to check the e-mail notification about updates. I only found the Mac version was available by stopping by this forum. I suggest an e-mail be sent out to the Windows registered version, for those that wanted notification about the screen saver, that a Beta version is available for Mac OS X. I'm sure there are people that use both systems, or know a Mac user that has admired the screen saver on a PC that would then try and/or purchase it!

-Iesposta
iesposta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2002, 10:21 AM   #8
feldon34
Forum Administrator

iesposta,

I'm hoping to announce the Mac version and a future scheduled chat with Jim in an e-mail to send out to all those folks who registered. 1,600 or so at last count.
Old 07-06-2002, 04:42 PM   #9
Unregistered

Just to add my sentiments to the bulletin board, I too bought the screen saver about 5 minutes after first checking it out. And the $12.95 price made the difference. As beautiful as it is, I'm not sure I'd have paid $21.95 for it. But I love it and plan to show various mac-centric friends of mine! Keep up the good work.
Old 07-07-2002, 12:28 PM   #10
Reichart
CTO Prolific Publishing

Question SPAMing Windows users with Mac arrival

We at Prolific are VERY VERY careful of SPAM.

Our database contains the email addresses of everyone that has purchased the product online. So far, we have only sent one email notice, which was when the PC version had such a noticeable change that we felt all people would want to know.

When it comes to notifying the Mac community only, by sending an email to every Windows owner, that seems like SPAM to me. I realize that we want to get the message out, and that Mac owners want to be notified. But we think it is more considerate to use normal channels.

We start right here on Feldon’s Fan site. Then we will begin to notify many of the online sites, like versiontracker.

Keep in mind, this is Beta, and first release. We did not want to get the word out to EVERYONE. If there was a problem, we wanted to affect the least people possible.

However, things are looking good. So this coming week we will increase awareness.

Hopefully you respect our strong position on SPAM. We only wish others were as considerate.
Reichart... , CTO, Prolific Publishing, Inc.
Come visit us Prolific Publishing, Inc.
Reichart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2002, 01:33 PM   #11
feldon34
Forum Administrator

Alright. Well I've been waiting on Jim to give me a time for the next scheduled chat anyway, and then was going to tack on the Mac version release info to it.

Remember, in my case, the 1,600 people are totally opt-in.
Old 07-07-2002, 08:39 PM   #12
Unregistered

I only get 14fps on my G3 400Mhz Powerbook (Pismo) 512MB ram, 1024X768. I did'nt see any system reqiurements on the download site. Is this version G4 only?

David Long
davidlong@charter.net
Old 07-07-2002, 10:42 PM   #13
feldon34
Forum Administrator

David,

The key sticking point in your situation is the underpowered ATI Rage Mobility 8MB chipset Apple was putting in the 400 and 500 MHz G3 Powerbooks. I wish I had better news.
Old 07-08-2002, 07:23 AM   #14
Unregistered

Jim O'Conner suggested switching from millions of colors to thounsands, that helped a great deal, doubling my frame rate.

Thanks Jim

David Long
davidlong@charter.net
Old 07-09-2002, 06:06 PM   #15
Unregistered

I bought it right away, even though I usually avoid CPU burner programs and it felt a little dirty after seeing it on XP several time. I really shy away from Windoze stuff, but this is really impressive and after showing it off at work today no one said, "I've seen that before", so I felt much better. I can't wait for more fish and creatures! HURRY!

The only bug I have seen is one fish kinda disappeared and halfway reappeared as if it was behind the coral, even though it was in front of it, but I only saw it once.

As for features I'd like to see would be the ability to change the color of the background because I hate blue, and the ability to turn off the coral and sand completely and just have fish, kinda like Afterdark or Atlantis. Can't wait for the new coral though... maybe I won't want to turn it off.

mrtew@comcast.net
Old 07-09-2002, 10:36 PM   #16
Unregistered

Very cool screensaver!! I sent in my order yesterday but have yet to receive my code. How long does it typically take? Thanks!

ps I'd agree with the previous poster, the ability to turn off the coral and sand would be pretty cool-- just fishies by themselves (and maybe some bubbles from below!)
Old 07-09-2002, 11:11 PM   #17
Unregistered

WOW! this thing is really cool! I registered it about 5 min after I downloaded the demo. I just hope that the Mac version stays up to date and is given as much attention as the windows version.
Old 07-10-2002, 02:03 AM   #18
Unregistered

I love the screensaver. I was wondering do you think you will make the aquarium shot any more "sharp" It seems a bit fuzzy or pixelated for me on a G4 Powermac and an iBook. Great work, registered and happy otherwise
Old 07-10-2002, 02:04 AM   #19
feldon34
Forum Administrator

Well the funny thing is, you guys are getting the Aquarium after it's been in development for 2 years. The Windows version had humble beginnings, with just 7 fish. It slowly evolved to 10, then 12, then 14, etc. I remember when RANDOM, the Starfish, etc. etc. were added. I think Jim plans to add another few fish, but beyond this point, beyond the 3D background, he plans to add premium creature packages such as Hermit Crabs, Coral Shrimps, etc.

As for the background, unlike other screen savers where they can just drop in another photo, SereneScreen Aquarium for Macintosh (I guess they're officially calling it Marine Aquarium Mac OS X--go figure) may have a flat photographed coral background, but there are shadow map objects (also called "lightplay" objects) which also have to be modeled and texture mapped in 3D.

Last edited by feldon34; 07-10-2002 at 02:10 AM.
Old 07-10-2002, 02:12 AM   #20
feldon34
Forum Administrator

I love the screensaver. I was wondering do you think you will make the aquarium shot any more "sharp" It seems a bit fuzzy or pixelated for me on a G4 Powermac and an iBook. Great work, registered and happy otherwise
The coral background for the Aquarium is a 1024x768 bitmap. I know on the PC, you get the best results running the Aquarium at exactly this resolution. I don't know enough about the Mac version to know if anti-aliasing kicks in or just how the background looks stretched to another size.

If we could just clone Jim, we'd get that resolution-independant 3D background sooner.
Go Back   Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum > SereneScreen Products > Marine Aquarium 3 for Mac OS X > Marine Aquarium 2 for Mac OS X Archive