Home Register Arcade Gallery Chatroom Members Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Log In
Go Back   Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum > SereneScreen Products > Marine Aquarium 3 for Mac OS X
Notices

Old 05-02-2009, 11:52 PM   #21
jgbackes
Registered

Try to reduce the max frame rate.

jeff

Originally posted by longjnsilver:
I'm running VMWare - Windows XP Pro on my MacBook Pro (2.53 GHZ, 4 GB RAM) and the 24" Cinema display - Ver. 3.0 of SereneScreen Aquarium. COOL! My only problem is bubble sound but no visible bubbles (and yes, I've checked and unchecked the bubbles option repeatedly - no cigar). HEAT! The fans on the MacBook run fast & loud after a few minutes. This program obviously is VERY demanding on the processor. ANYBODY TRIED running 3.0 using Boot Camp???
Thanx, LongJnSilver - London, UK  
jgbackes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 12:15 AM   #22
JimO'Connor
Mac Development

This is no longer a dead topic as far as development goes. We're on the case, and making progress.
Jim O'Connor
Order N Development
JimO'Connor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 04:54 AM   #23
engelens
Registered

No longer a dead topic...

Good to hear that! Please make it compatible with the ImacG5. I do not have Intel processors, so it would be a terrible disappointment if it did not run on my trusty Imac.
What about the license key, will it also work on a Mac? I currently have one for my pc laptop. Not that I would not buy one for my mac if there was no other way...
engelens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 02:01 PM   #24
JimO'Connor
Mac Development

An iMacG5 should be plenty of horsepower. You'll have to check with Prolific about their policy on the keycodes. That is a publisher sort of thing.
Jim O'Connor
Order N Development
Old 08-18-2009, 06:08 AM   #25
ADM
Registered

Thanks for sharing news about the mac translation process! I look forward to enjoying the beta program, when it is released.
ADM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 08:15 PM   #26
tackhead
Registered

Not compatible with Snow Leopard

I've installed Snow Leopard on my MBP and I get the following message whenever the screen saver kicks in:

You cannot use the Marine Aquarium 2 & Time screen saver with this version of OSX. Please contact the vender to get a newer version of the screen saver.

Will there be a SL compatible version coming? I'm bummed because I had just updated to the Leopard version of Marine Aquarium a month or so ago and I miss it already.
tackhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 09:43 PM   #27
feldon34
Forum Administrator

As Snow Leopard is not a released product yet, I guess you're one of the first folks to test Marine Aquarium 2 on it.
"Journalism is printing what someone else does not want printed. Everything else is public relations." - George Orwell
"If voting changed anything, they'd make it illegal." - Emma Goldman
feldon34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 04:24 PM   #28
JimO'Connor
Mac Development

Marine Aquarium 3 will be Snow Leopard compatible and is in the pipe to be available fairly shortly. It is MUCH cooler than MA2+ versions, and the logo functionality is in there to match Windows (which MA2+ Mac never had).
Jim O'Connor
Order N Development
Old 08-20-2009, 01:01 AM   #29
tackhead
Registered

thank for the update, that's excellent news. I look forward to having my fish back (and checking out MA3!).
tackhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 08:53 AM   #30
stinkyFish
Registered

Jim, logged in to say i'm looking forward to MA3 for 10.6, and hoping those goldfish won't get neglected either!
stinkyFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 10:44 PM   #31
Pescador
Registered

Aquarium 2.6 is a great program . A constant on my Macs. I got the bad news ... upgraded OS X to 2.6 (Snow Leopard) and Aquarium no longer works .. I am willing to pay for an update .. I am feeling quite deprived. Sooner the better.
Pescador is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 12:10 PM   #32
pmp
Registered

Will Marine 2 be updated for Snow Leopard?

I'm happy with Marine Aquarium 2 for my Intel Mac and do not want to have to purchase Marine Aquarium again for the MA3 in order to enjoy the screensaver.

There are many of us are hoping you'll be updating the 2 for Snow Leopard.

Yes?
pmp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 12:17 PM   #33
pmp
Registered

My intuition, based on what was written on the extraordinary challenge in writing the app for Macs, that we should not hold our breath. The market share is probably not worth the effort, but for the cost of the screensaver (2) I wish it would have been supported for more than two years.
pmp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 10:04 AM   #34
feldon34
Forum Administrator

I would not expect MA2 to be updated for OS X Snow Leopard. The upgrade to MA3 is $9.95. The background graphics are substantially improved.
"Journalism is printing what someone else does not want printed. Everything else is public relations." - George Orwell
Old 09-08-2009, 10:14 AM   #35
feldon34
Forum Administrator

Originally posted by pmp:
My intuition, based on what was written on the extraordinary challenge in writing the app for Macs, that we should not hold our breath. The market share is probably not worth the effort, but for the cost of the screensaver (2) I wish it would have been supported for more than two years.  
Jim stated above that Marine Aquarium 3 is in development for Mac OS X Snow Leopard. Considering the improved graphics (MA2 was built for 1024 x 768, MA3 was built for 5000 x 1600), I think the reasonable upgrade cost will be worth it.

Also, it was Apple's decision to change their APIs and break screen savers that are less than 2 years old.
Old 09-08-2009, 11:24 AM   #36
Jim Sachs
Developer

It's up to Jim O'Connor whether to re-write the Mac version of MA2.6 for Snow Leopard, but given the difficulty and man-hours involved it doesn't seem likely. Who would buy it, and why?

On the PC-side, things are different. We maintain MA2.6 because there is no effort involved in doing so. Through Win98, XP, Vista, and Win7, Microsoft has kept compatability with older programs, so it just works.
Jim Sachs
Creator of SereneScreen Aquarium
Jim Sachs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 11:22 PM   #37
JimO'Connor
Mac Development

MA 2.6 should run on first generation Intel Macs on Snow Leopard, those which don't use the 64 bit OS.

Right now we're concentrating on Marine Aquarium 3.0 and making it as good as we can for Tiger, Leopard and Snow Leopard. The artwork Jim Sachs made for Marine Aquarium 3 is very, very good. Please take a look at the demo of Marine Aquarium 3 when it is available and see if it isn't worth the upgrade fee (no idea what that will be).
Jim O'Connor
Order N Development
Old 09-08-2009, 11:37 PM   #38
JimO'Connor
Mac Development

Marine Aquarium 3 for Mac OS, Tiger, Leopard and Snow Leopard, is very close to being available for your examination.

Apple decided to make the System Preferences panel prefer 64 bit panes, and the Saver engine to require 64 bit panes, as well as be garbage collection compatible, while also removing several APIs we have been using. This is not an unreasonable thing for them to do (some of the APIs have been around since 10.0), as maintaining backwards compatibility when the OS is moving forward so fast is a major pain in the neck, but it does create a problem for us. We can finish Marine Aquarium 3, which we had schedule commitments to do, or we can spend that time on Marine Aquarium 2.6 and break our commitments for Marine Aquarium 3. I thought most people would greatly prefer the much improved Marine Aquarium 3. Maybe I'm wrong. I hope you will be convinced I was right.
Jim O'Connor
Order N Development
Old 09-08-2009, 11:40 PM   #39
JimO'Connor
Mac Development

Goldfish will get attention when we finish MA 3.
Jim O'Connor
Order N Development
Old 09-09-2009, 07:44 AM   #40
feldon34
Forum Administrator

Just be aware that the fish behaviors is something that is in development still and not available on either Mac or Windows just yet. But you will be getting the new background.
Go Back   Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum > SereneScreen Products > Marine Aquarium 3 for Mac OS X