Home Register Arcade Gallery Chatroom Members Today's Posts Log In
Go Back   Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum > SereneScreen Products > Marine Aquarium 3 for Windows > Marine Aquarium 2 for Windows Archive
Notices

Old 07-20-2001, 05:28 AM   #1
jjenni
Registered

** 99L FINAL RELEASE rants, raves, and bug reports here **

Hello,
I have installed it and for some reason i can see the vertical joints in the background. if it is not that then may be screen tear in two locations. now i do have a kds avitron monitor so i clearly see the 2 horizontal lines now and then but the two vertical lines are there now. in the previous version i would only see the one vertical line at certain resolutions like 1024x768 and i went up to 1152x864 and it was gone. new version i see both.

any suggestions.
voodoo5 5500 and kds avitron 195tf
jjenni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2001, 08:54 AM   #2
Jim Sachs
Developer

Re: ** 99L FINAL RELEASE rants, raves, and bug reports here

The background has not changed. What resolution are you using?
Jim Sachs
Creator of SereneScreen Aquarium
Jim Sachs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2001, 10:36 AM   #3

Jim-

'L' works great. No issues at any resolution.

One observation: when running in 32bit desktop 'windowed' my Nvidia card does great 4x AA with no banding. Any chance of adding a setting to use 32bit as the default on fullscreen??

Paul

Athlon 1.33/266, Geforce2 GTS, 512MB DDR, Asus A7M266 MB
Old 07-20-2001, 10:47 AM   #4
feldon34
Forum Administrator

Just as soon as Microsoft makes their DirectX 8 screen saver libraries Windows 95/98 friendly, Jim can produce a DX8 version of the Aquarium that will do what you want.

This would also allow multiple monitors and passthru video cards.
"Journalism is printing what someone else does not want printed. Everything else is public relations." - George Orwell
"If voting changed anything, they'd make it illegal." - Emma Goldman
feldon34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2001, 11:06 AM   #5
Digital Lungfish
Obey the toad!

cadetdrivr,

"One observation: when running in 32bit desktop 'windowed' my Nvidia card does great 4x AA with no banding. Any chance of adding a setting to use 32bit as the default on fullscreen??"

You wont have to wait for Jim to release a DX8 version that supports 32-bit just in order to see 4x AA in fullscreen. I've got a GeForce 2 Pro DDR and I've used 4x AA in fullscreen numerous times with no banding or other apparent issues.

- DL
Steve
www.tron-sector.com - www.badcartridge.com - www.classicgaming.com - www.dinofish.com
Today is the tomorrow you were worried about yesterday...
Digital Lungfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2001, 12:12 PM   #6
feldon34
Forum Administrator

It's a bird, it's a plane, it's SuperTang! Francis just sent me this picture:

Francis reported this when there is 1 fish turned on.

And this is not the first report of the floating Starfish:

An isolated group of people have reported this when they turn all the fish off

Francis has reported both of these problems on a TnT Riva 2 and an ATI All In Wonder Pro card. UPDATE: The common thread MAY BE Windows ME (Millennium Edition). Stay tuned!
"Journalism is printing what someone else does not want printed. Everything else is public relations." - George Orwell
Old 07-20-2001, 12:29 PM   #7
feldon34
Forum Administrator

** REGISTRY CLEANER UPDATED **

You might want to try the updated Registry Cleaner if you have problems running the Aquarium or artifacts as described. The Registry Cleaner now removes all traces of .99K, .99ws and .99L.

www.feldoncentral.com/Sac...remove.reg

Edit: Francis is still having this problem and I misunderstood what he said.
Old 07-20-2001, 12:38 PM   #8
feldon34
Forum Administrator

Re: More bugs

If you turn off all the fish and then run with the Starfish, and then start turning fish slots back on with RANDOM, the Aquarium automatically closes, sometimes taking the topmost program with it.

My monitor makes a light pop every time it changes video mode. it's always done this. .99L has increased the number of pops to 6-7 every time I change fish up from 1-2 on .99K.

All these things are called bugs, these things are what you see in Beta versions.

When Jim gets back from vacation, he will take the necessary time to fix all of these bugs, release 1.0, and then it will be in boxes. Shortly thereafter, Jim will start to work on the 3D background, which will be a monumental undertaking (even more than the Starfish).

Actually, almost 2 weeks of time were spent trying to make the Starfish gracefully climb from the gravel up onto the glass. Alas, it couldn't be done properly without spending a LOT more time on it, so that is why it is the way it is. Maybe in the future, the Starfish will be able to climb up gracefully.
Old 07-20-2001, 12:55 PM   #9

This has become one of the most impressive screensavers I've ever seen.
And Jim - believe me, months ago I declared not to be a fish-maniac.
This was before I saw this saver. You set free some unknown passions of mine.
The only thing lost is that typical fish-smell. ;-)

One Question, Jim: What language are you programming in?
Is it something unconventional?
Old 07-20-2001, 04:08 PM   #10
feldon34
Forum Administrator

C

The fish are created in Lightwave. There is a more detailed post on the Forum here about the software Jim uses. I'll have to find it and post a link to it. I wish they'd fix the search engine here.
Old 07-20-2001, 04:27 PM   #11

Digital Lungfish-

Thanks for the info.

Since the Geforce GTS and Geforce 2 Pro DDR are basically the same core with just a few tweaks, I guess I'll have to wait for my Geforce3 (or later) to get rid of the banding when using AA. (Must have been one of the improvements on the ‘Pro.’)

BTW, I'm running:

Win ME
Creative Annihilator 2
Detonator Drivers version 3.15.01.1410 (Ver 14.10)
Bios 3.15.01.02
Direct X 8

Thanks,
Paul

PS From prior correspondence, Jim knows about this ‘known’ issue with the Nvidia cards.
Old 07-20-2001, 04:32 PM   #12
ajlaban
Registered

I like the new, young adult, Queen angel and I'm glad others are also expressing similar sentiments.

It is my hope that Jim gives serious consideration to going the young adult route with the Annularis and/or the Imperator if he decides to include them in the tank. While with most angels the juveniles are more attractive, in the case of these two, IMO, the adults are more interesting.
Passed away August 27, 2008.
ajlaban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2001, 05:24 PM   #13
feldon34
Forum Administrator

Is there a difference between a juvenile Imperator and the Koran in the tank?
Old 07-20-2001, 06:03 PM   #14
ajlaban
Registered

Morgan,

Exactly my point. A juvenile Imperator is very similar to a juvenile Koran, except that the former has some additional circular lines or elongated circles right below the upper and lower fins. So, better to consider a small adult Imperator to avoid a close duplication.
Passed away August 27, 2008.
ajlaban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2001, 08:33 PM   #15
BeefJerky
Registered

Hi all. Well, I've tested .99L, and I cannot duplicate either "supertang" or the floating starfish, nor can I find any other bugs. Also, for me, after the setting screen my monitor only clicks twice. This is my setup:
AMD K6-2/392MHz w/ 112MHz FSB
192MB RAM
Asus V6600 Deluxe (GeForce256/32 MB SDRAM)
Using built-in WindowsXP RC1 drivers (nVidia 12.40)

I will be trying out some different driver versions tonight, and let you know if I experience any problems.
--BeefJerky
BeefJerky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2001, 08:41 PM   #16
jjenni
Registered

Jim,
Thanks for the response,
I am currently in 1152x864 high color 16 bit. like i said i have the voodoo5 5500 kds avitron 19" (trinitron monitor)
it is odd as like i said in the earlier revision I could only see the normal trinitron lines horizontal and they kind of faded away in the previous release but now they are more pronounced and i see these two vertical lines. i will e-mail a screen capture to you.

thanks.
jjenni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2001, 08:42 PM   #17

HP 6535 PC
HP M70 Monitor
128 ram
voodoo4 4500 pci
directx 8.0

I am having a problem with the "disable monitor sleep mode" setting.....I have my Power Management setting for monitor set to 15 minutes.......while running the SS after 15 minutes the monitor goes into sleep mode and then immediatelly comes back on. This cycle continues every 15 minutes. Is any one else having this problem???
Old 07-20-2001, 10:13 PM   #18

Man, I love the starfish! Great work Jim!

Ryan
Old 07-20-2001, 10:22 PM   #19

Yes, the starfish looks great.

However, I am sure I am in the minority, but despite how cool the starfish is, I really don't like it crawling along the front of my screen. Not that it looks bad, but I just don't like the look of it where it is crawling. I wouldn't mind the back wall or side, and it can do the tango all along the rocks at the bottom for that matter, but I just don't want it on the front. Considering that I like the rotating lights I get him on the front all the time as even after a few mins up it goes.

So I was wondering, in the next version, would it be possible to add a toggle button to allow or not allow the starfish to climb the front screen? That would be very cool if I just could keep it bopping along the bottom. When you put in the 3d background I wouldn't mind it crawling over them either, just prefer it off the front of my screen
Old 07-21-2001, 12:40 AM   #20
hayc59
VoodØØ Child™

Re: Territorial Starfish

all is good here!! i would like the star fish to move alot more! but i bet its real hard to get that done.. good job to you all
:rollin: :rollin: :rollin: :rollin:
ãrê ¥Øu êxpêriêncêÐ
Never Forget

God Bless America

hayc59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum > SereneScreen Products > Marine Aquarium 3 for Windows > Marine Aquarium 2 for Windows Archive