Home Register Arcade Gallery Chatroom Members Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Log In
Go Back   Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum > SereneScreen Products > Marine Aquarium 3 for Mac OS X > Marine Aquarium 2 for Mac OS X Archive
Notices

Old 01-22-2003, 09:37 AM   #1
Cookie
Registered

Embarassed Easter eggs?

Hi there.

Just registered the screen saver + after using the demo for a month on my G4 cube + 15" Apple LCD monitor.

I've even had my cat sit on the computer desk looking around the back of the monitor

I wondered if there are any hidden easter eggs <or is that caviar> or similar in the program? Something as top-rate as this should have a hidden space invaders game at least... (Maybe next release? <grin>)

Thanks to all involved in porting this to us well deserving, honest mac users who pay for our software.

I've never paid for a screen saver before, but anything that can fool my cat is well worth it.
Cookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2003, 10:10 AM   #2
Jav400
Administrator

22 Highscores

Jim has discussed having an Easter Egg in future versions. I doubt that it will be anything major like a full game or anything. One of his major concerns is total file size since Downloading the latest version has always been the goal.
Jav400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2003, 10:27 AM   #3
Cookie
Registered

Thanks for the quick response.
Cookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2003, 11:18 AM   #4
Jav400
Administrator

22 Highscores

Most Welcome, and glad to have you join our forum.
Old 01-22-2003, 05:25 PM   #5
JimO'Connor
Mac Development

Sorry -- no Easter Eggs in the Mac version at this time.

We REALLY appreciate users who pay for the product, particularly the Mac product.

:^)
Jim O'Connor
Order N Development
JimO'Connor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2003, 06:11 AM   #6
mrtew
Registered

Originally posted by JimO'Connor
Sorry -- no Easter Eggs in the Mac version at this time.

We REALLY appreciate users who pay for the product, particularly the Mac product.

:^)

Speaking of Mac users who pay for the product.... is there EVER going to be anything new coming out for the Mac aquarium??? (or even a fix for the Jaguar jaggies?)
mrtew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2003, 07:53 AM   #7
Tiny Turtle
is pleased

27 Highscores

This ain't exactly Mac specific, Tew. The PC version is without updates for over a year now...

/Tiny Updates
Thanks to Morgan, Tiny Snapshots is up and running again with "Tiny Järvafält" as the latest addition – Go have a look and tell me what you think.

"We knew the world would not be the same. A few people laughed, a few people cried, most people were silent.
I remembered the line from the Hindu scripture, the Bhagavad-Gita. Vishnu is trying to persuade the Prince that he should do his duty and to impress him takes on his multi-armed form and says,
'Now, I am become Death, the destroyer of worlds.'
I suppose we all thought that, one way or another.
" /Robert Oppenheimer on witnessing the first thermonuclear detonation in history.
Tiny Turtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2003, 05:18 PM   #8
mrtew
Registered

Originally posted by Tiny Turtle
This ain't exactly Mac specific, Tew. The PC version is without updates for over a year now...

/Tiny Updates

Yeah, I am starting to wonder if Jim is really a workaholic at all. I bet that's just his public image and he's really a big slacker! :-]
mrtew
mrtew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2003, 06:14 PM   #9
Jav400
Administrator

22 Highscores

mrtew,

LoL, I have spent to many days and nights monitoring the forum and the chatroom and watching Jim work at all hours to even come close to thinking that. Unfortunately, everytime you just get to the point of greatness, something mundane steps in and causes a complete meltdown of your plans. I know that Jim is hard at work and I am sure that it is as frustrating to him as it is to us at times. But don't give up hope, new things are on the way.
Old 01-29-2003, 07:49 AM   #10
patscarr
Pet Shark

1 Highscore

Jim, what kind of Easter eggs for future versions are you thinking about?
Patrick
patscarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2003, 09:44 AM   #11
Jim Sachs
Developer

No plans for Easter eggs. Having a hard enough time just getting done the things that are supposed to be in there.
Jim Sachs
Creator of SereneScreen Aquarium
Jim Sachs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2003, 09:31 PM   #12
Jav400
Administrator

22 Highscores

Hi Jim,

I remember, "A long time ago, in a galaxy far far away......" you had at one time mentioned that you thought it might be nice to have a small Easter Egg, just to see if anyone noticed it. But, this was long before the Freshwater version was even a thought in anyone's mind, much less in process. Has it gotten to the point that you:

A) Kind of like the idea, but just have absolutely no time to consider what it might be?
B) Just deceided that you would rather not do it?
C) Haven't had time since then to give it any thought either way...

I kind of think its probably "C". But it would be a nice inclusion, just to have something small for people to look for.

Last edited by Jav400; 01-29-2003 at 09:33 PM.
Old 01-30-2003, 01:23 AM   #13
Jim Sachs
Developer

Well, it depends on what you mean by "Easter eggs". I have always planned on having events which happen very rarely, like a fish which has been buried in the sand suddenly popping up.
Jim Sachs
Creator of SereneScreen Aquarium
Jim Sachs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2003, 08:09 AM   #14
patscarr
Pet Shark

1 Highscore

Yeah, a fish which has been buried in the sand suddenly popping up, or anything that happens out of the ordinary would be considered an Easter egg to me.
Patrick
patscarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2003, 02:32 AM   #15
Jeffx
Registered

Exclamation Busby Berkely Numbers?

It seems to me that the occasional Busby Berkely aquatic dance number might be nice (i.e. all the fish spontaneously assembling and swimming in a circle, figure-eight, or other geometric patterns)

This also has the virtue of adding very little bulk to the program.
Jeffx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2003, 06:39 AM   #16
Jav400
Administrator

22 Highscores

That one might be to far outside the the parameters of reality for Jim to consider it. I think if we get one in there, it would be something realistic in an aquarium, but maybe a small, or a hidden creature that only comes out when you hit a combination of keys or something along those lines.
Old 02-08-2003, 09:34 AM   #17
The_Thrill
Nittany Lion

I just put in a counter in php for a site i did. I'm just learing it all but maybe you could check that out too.
Thrill
The_Thrill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2003, 02:01 AM   #18
Jeffx
Registered

Octopods and Cuttlefish

If true-to-life realism is essential then how about a cuttlefish? These creatures are the damndest thing you ever saw. They have astonishing dynamic camoflage and can exhibit pulsating strobing patterns on their skin that I would have sworn could never occur in nature. I believe these strobing patterns are used to "hypnotize" prey. I think there is footage of this fish in the Discovery Channel's Blue Planet: Seas of Life series (now out on DVD.) In Marine Aquarium, it would offer the treat of being a fish that you would really have to look for when it was stationary. It would be nearly invisible until it started to move or strobe. In short, an easter egg hiding in plain sight!
Jeffx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2003, 02:33 AM   #19
fishbowl
Cramped Quarters

Smile

For those who would like to see this display of colors, take a look at this video: http://www.cephbase.utmb.edu/viddb/v...pg/CBV0084.m1v
For more info on the cuttlefish, take a look here: http://www.windspeed.net.au/~jenny/cuttlefish/
fishbowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2003, 10:50 AM   #20
Liath
Still here in spirit

Re: Octopods and Cuttlefish

how about a cuttlefish?
Go Mollusks! *crying tears of joy* Oh to have a cuttlefish in my aquarium. It would make me so very happy.
Liath is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum > SereneScreen Products > Marine Aquarium 3 for Mac OS X > Marine Aquarium 2 for Mac OS X Archive