Home Register Arcade Gallery Chatroom Members Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Log In
Go Back   Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum > Prolific/LifeGlobe Products > Goldfish Aquarium 2 for Windows
Notices

Old 04-25-2003, 12:35 PM   #21
Jav400
Administrator

22 Highscores

Edgar,

There are 43.45 drivers available, but the "Latest" isn't always the best. We try and run them for awhile and get results from other places before we recommend drivers. 41.09 has worked well for me and several others for some time, so those are the ones we recommend at this point.

Cliff,

Are you running at 16 bit or 32 bit? 32 might take care of the banding problem if you are in 16 bit. As far as the drivers go, I have used 41.09 in PS for some time now and never had any problems at all.

Sergales,

You can load the latest drivers and see what happens. nVidia drivers are unified and are supposed to work with all. You might not be able to take advantage of some options though, in that case the settings might be grayed out and unavailable.

Last edited by Jav400; 04-25-2003 at 03:12 PM.
Jav400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2003, 03:36 PM   #22
Mountainmaster
Liopleurodon

Quote from the nVidia FAQ - Driver Installation: "...simply run the drivers you have downloaded by double-clicking on the file. The drivers will automatically update your current drivers and make the necessary changes to your system."
Well forget about that. I installed the 43.45 drivers on top of 30.82 and after the reboot the 30.82 ones were still there. No sign of 43.45!
Now I know it is common practice to uninstall your old drivers first, but when the FAQ says you don't need to... So I uninstalled 30.82 going through the 640 x 480, reshuffled icons, Mondrian painted desktop routine and after that 43.45 installed fine. Next another hour of desktop redesign, reconfiguring the color correction, making blackice understand that the driver files are updated and not infected by a virus. Then applying coolbits to the registry to get advanced tweaking back and finally placing the checkmark for Texture Sharpening. On to GA, but oddly enough it suddenly runs in 1280 x 960 instead of the 1280 x 1024 that it was set to before The same with MA2 and MAT. I wonder if that's a bug. Well, back to GA at 1280 x 1024 and finding to my disappointment that it looks just slightly better with loss of 5 fps.
And now while checking some other screensavers I am running into a BSOD which I barely managed to escape for now. Signing off for a reboot, to be continued...
At almost 25 m long Liopleurodon was the biggest carnivore that ever existed. It had an enormous 3 metre long mouth which contained teeth twice as long as those of Tyrannosaurus.
  Ronald Zaalberg, Creator of Fish Picker
Mountainmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2003, 03:43 PM   #23
Edgar
Prolific/SereneScreen Developer

1 Highscore

Sorry if caused anybody headaches with the question of new nVidia Drivers. I hope nobody else messed up by upgrading. So the lesson is, if current version works, keep it.
Edgar Tolentino
Prolific Developer

www.prolific.com
www.LifeGlobe.com
Edgar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2003, 03:44 PM   #24
cjmaddy
Registered

Michael,

Brilliant! - Changed to 32 bit. ...... banding, - gone! - Thanks !!!
This is getting better and better! - all we need now is s decent rock in the centre, and it will be almost perfect!

Edgar,

I'm still using the old steam driven Win98SE ! ....... The drivers are different!
I think the 43.xx's are for WinXP/2000 only. - 43.51 definitely are, - I've just tried them!

Mountainmaster,

Why not give 41.09 a try, ...... they seem to have been successful with a number of people!
cjmaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2003, 04:38 PM   #25
Socrates
Sage

I've changed nvdia driver forward, backward, and sideways more times than I can count.

The only problems I've ever had are with specific programs, not with the installation or removal of the drivers themselves.

In general I like to use the installer versions, but sometimes you have to use the old fashioned method of going into device manager and pointing to the exact driver you want installed.

MM, have you tried the 41.09 drivers?
Bat rays? We don't need no stinking bat rays!
Socrates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2003, 05:25 PM   #26
Mountainmaster
Liopleurodon

It took a while to get back but not because of any problems. I was testing a few games and got a little carried away. Apart from 1 screensaver all seems to be fine. And for all I know it might as well have been the DirectX 9.0 upgrade I did some weeks ago that is causing it. I haven't used that screensaver, the Virtual Intelligence Matrix 4 - or any other saver than MA, MAT and GA for that matter - in a long time, so it is hard to tell.

Yes, maybe I should give the 41.09 drivers a try. But then again, the 3 aquariums are ok and it's just so much trouble.
At almost 25 m long Liopleurodon was the biggest carnivore that ever existed. It had an enormous 3 metre long mouth which contained teeth twice as long as those of Tyrannosaurus.
  Ronald Zaalberg, Creator of Fish Picker
Mountainmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2003, 06:33 PM   #27
Jav400
Administrator

22 Highscores

Going backwards with drivers can create some problems, make sure that you get every bit of the latest ones you are running deleted or you will run into major headaches from all the problems. Its also generally a good idea to reinstall your DX version after changing drivers.
Old 04-25-2003, 06:44 PM   #28
Wizwad
Only me...

Originally posted by cjmaddy

This is getting better and better! - all we need now is s decent rock in the centre, and it will be almost perfect!
But not quite perfect.
I'm still working on getting rid of the jaggies on the plants which shift as they move, even after turning on texture sharpening - very distracting - but that aside, the only aspects I think need improvement in addition to the rock are the silver scales on Oreo and Ginger, which need to shimmer as the fish move (like the shimmering on Jim Sachs's Copperbanded Butterfly), and I think those back fins get shimmied a bit too often. Though not having kept exotic goldfish before (just the type you used to be able to get at fun fairs ), I don't know if this is a feature of the species involved, so I won't complain too much about that.

Nice job, though.
Mark
-----------
Intel i7 12700K | Aorus Z690 Pro | Corsair DDR5 5600 32GB | Asus Dual RTX3060ti 6GB v2 Mini OC | Corsair RM850 Gold PSU | 1TB NVMe M.2 WD Black SN850 | 4TB Seagate BarraCuda HDD | Corsair Airflow 5000D Case | HP 32QHD 4K Monitor | Windows 11 x64 Professional
Wizwad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2003, 01:45 AM   #29
Tiny Turtle
is pleased

27 Highscores

I tried to upgrade to the latest n' greatest at home (previous comments was about the work system) from MSI supplied drivers. Me and the box are back to almost normal now, but it had me pulling my hair there for a while. I'm using two monitors – The main is a 19" Nokia run at 1600x1200@85Hz and the secondary is a 15" Hyundai at considerably lesser rez. Well, the new drivers decided that the Hyundai was the Nokia and tried running it at 1600x1200 (resulting in a black screen) and naturally the Nokia showed up at that 1152x8?? resolution the other one should've run at.

The nView settings were set so that new windows primarily should pop up on the bigger screen which now was black. This made it impossible for me to enter the Display properties to change the monitors back to the way they should be. Dang!

After fiddling for a while I realised I could just switch the two connectors at the back of the vid card and I was back on the road again. Somehow my little Hyundai didn't like being told to work at 1600x1200 and now it won't go higher than 800x600. Guess I need a replacement...

The GA looks great though

Still Happy Turtle
Thanks to Morgan, Tiny Snapshots is up and running again with "Tiny Järvafält" as the latest addition – Go have a look and tell me what you think.

"We knew the world would not be the same. A few people laughed, a few people cried, most people were silent.
I remembered the line from the Hindu scripture, the Bhagavad-Gita. Vishnu is trying to persuade the Prince that he should do his duty and to impress him takes on his multi-armed form and says,
'Now, I am become Death, the destroyer of worlds.'
I suppose we all thought that, one way or another.
" /Robert Oppenheimer on witnessing the first thermonuclear detonation in history.
Tiny Turtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2003, 04:20 AM   #30
cjmaddy
Registered

Tiny, - Sorry to hear about your problems! ...... Rest assured your are not alone!

I think there must have been a jinx around last night! - I had been reading Mountainmasters problems, (BSOD etc) and had just posted my 're-install' report, - (saying everything now seemed fine!) ...... then WHAM!! .....

BSOD's, lock-up's, couldn't get into Windows, or anything! ........... By 2:15 am, after re-installing drivers, directX, etc. etc. etc! - and more re-boots than you would believe! ..... I finally, after 3 hours, got to bed!

I really have my doubts about video drivers !!!!!!
Old 04-26-2003, 08:22 AM   #31
Tiny Turtle
is pleased

27 Highscores

Thanks, 67. Being one hour after you would mean we managed to hit the sack just about the same time...

/Still Happy Turtle
Thanks to Morgan, Tiny Snapshots is up and running again with "Tiny Järvafält" as the latest addition – Go have a look and tell me what you think.

"We knew the world would not be the same. A few people laughed, a few people cried, most people were silent.
I remembered the line from the Hindu scripture, the Bhagavad-Gita. Vishnu is trying to persuade the Prince that he should do his duty and to impress him takes on his multi-armed form and says,
'Now, I am become Death, the destroyer of worlds.'
I suppose we all thought that, one way or another.
" /Robert Oppenheimer on witnessing the first thermonuclear detonation in history.
Tiny Turtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2003, 04:32 PM   #32
Reichart
CTO Prolific Publishing

The next version should tweak the AA correctly. Plus there will be some other things improved, and perhaps some new features.

This is why we are doing this beta, we are doing a lot of new things, and although they work perfectly on our machines, that is the great thing about Microsoft standards…there are so many to choose from.
Reichart... , CTO, Prolific Publishing, Inc.
Come visit us Prolific Publishing, Inc.
Reichart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2003, 05:25 PM   #33
xrayspex
Registered

Originally posted by Edgar
I thought the newest driver available is 4.14.01.4345 for nVidia.
That is the newest drivers and they support and are direct x9a compatible. I have been using those for about 3 months now and all my games and fishtanks look and work great. No problems here at all with 4345 and direct x 9a.

Last edited by xrayspex; 04-27-2003 at 06:18 PM.
xrayspex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2003, 07:36 PM   #34
Socrates
Sage

Originally posted by Reichart
The next version should tweak the AA correctly. Plus there will be some other things improved, and perhaps some new features.

This is why we are doing this beta, we are doing a lot of new things, and although they work perfectly on our machines, that is the great thing about Microsoft standards…there are so many to choose from.
Thanks!

My opinion of the product changed from nay to yay the second I discovered the difference.

It is mesmerizingly realistic with the proper filtering on my card.
Bat rays? We don't need no stinking bat rays!
Socrates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2003, 02:45 PM   #35
ROBinLA
Registered

Question for all you hardware heavyweights!!!
I have an ATI Mobility Radeon 7500 w/64mb graphics card in a winbook J4 notebook. The ATI display control panel does have the anti-aliasing option...but no texture sharpening option that I can see. Is there a chance it might be called something else by ATI or am I just &%$ out of luck? Any suggestions?

Rob
ROBinLA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2003, 03:17 PM   #36
Jav400
Administrator

22 Highscores

I would say it depends on which card and drivers you have. Here is a sample of layout for a 9600 card. To me it would seem that the Texture Preference is there, but it might not be on yours.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ati.jpg (21.6 KB, 144 views)
Old 04-28-2003, 04:45 PM   #37
loub516
Registered

I find with the antialiasing on The GA has the banding in the background and does not when it is off.
loub516 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2003, 04:47 PM   #38
FishyBusiness
Registered

1 Highscore

Great observation Socretes. It does look a lot better with Texture Sharpening and Anistropic Filtering enabled. I do wonder if you just started this thread just to use Movie Maker ...hehe

Anyway, I thought I would throw in my 2 coins worth. All tests ran at 1600x1200 with Vsync unclamped. Limit fps is unchecked. 5 fish enabled

Goldfish N422.0.9.510
47 fps
42 fps + Texture Sharpening
39 fps + AF 8x
37 fps + Texture Sharpening + AF 8x
23 fps + Texture Sharpening + AA 2x
23 fps + AA 2x

Findings: AA by itself looks just about the same as having AA, AF and Texture Sharpening off. Texture Sharpening all by itself looks the same as AF 8x all by itself. I never saw any kind of banding or lines on the background.

WindowsXP SP1
DX 8.1
512 PC2700
Asus A7V333
Athlon 2200+
Geforce 3 w/41.09
Santa Cruz Sound
Frank
FishyBusiness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2003, 05:00 PM   #39
cjmaddy
Registered

loub516, - Try this:-

Quote from Michael, ..... see top of this page!
Are you running at 16 bit or 32 bit? 32 might take care of the banding problem if you are in 16 bit.
Old 04-28-2003, 05:31 PM   #40
loub516
Registered

Thanks Cliff, that worked. I remember reading that now. Guess my memory isn't what it used to be.
loub516 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum > Prolific/LifeGlobe Products > Goldfish Aquarium 2 for Windows