Home Register Arcade Gallery Chatroom Members Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Log In
Go Back   Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum > SereneScreen Products > Marine Aquarium 3 for Windows > Marine Aquarium 2 for Windows Archive
Notices

Old 03-27-2008, 06:17 PM   #1481
Marian Nichols
~Author~

At first I like it, lively and upbeat but then it got monotonous.
Write paranormal mysteries. Six books so far.
Marian Nichols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2008, 08:32 PM   #1482
Tiny Turtle
is pleased

27 Highscores

Originally posted by Wizwad:
I'm pretty sure that's the music from the elevators of hell.  
That made me think of a SNL skit with Paul Simon finding out his personal hell (who sold his soul to the devil to be able to write such pretty music) is being stuck in an elevator forced to listen to bad muzak versions of his songs – for eternity...

/Tiny Jon Lovitz
Thanks to Morgan, Tiny Snapshots is up and running again with "Tiny Järvafält" as the latest addition – Go have a look and tell me what you think.

"We knew the world would not be the same. A few people laughed, a few people cried, most people were silent.
I remembered the line from the Hindu scripture, the Bhagavad-Gita. Vishnu is trying to persuade the Prince that he should do his duty and to impress him takes on his multi-armed form and says,
'Now, I am become Death, the destroyer of worlds.'
I suppose we all thought that, one way or another.
" /Robert Oppenheimer on witnessing the first thermonuclear detonation in history.

Last edited by Tiny Turtle; 03-27-2008 at 09:54 PM.
Tiny Turtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2008, 05:58 AM   #1483
jleslie
Engineer

News item (here as there was a big Nvidia thing a while back):
"That huge bundle of damning emails and documents Microsoft produced as part of the Vista-capable lawsuit is full of fascinating information about how the company developed, planned, and launched Vista, but the latest juicy nugget to come out if it suggests that a lot of problems faced by the troubled operating system are actually NVIDIA's fault -- nearly 30% of logged Vista crashes were due to NVIDIA driver problems, according to Microsoft data included in the bundle. That's some 479,326 hung systems, if you're keeping score at home, and it's in first place by a large margin -- Microsoft clocks in at number two at 17.9 percent, and ATI is fourth with 9.3 percent. "
I suspect this is just past history though, and shouldn't be a deciding factor in graphics card choice...
jleslie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2008, 07:36 AM   #1484
simico
Registered

Originally posted by Jim Sachs:
I have to take the shots myself. Hoping to get some good ones at the Shedd Aquarium in a couple of days.  
OK Jim, No worries. I tried afew times and even if I got lucky, they look "speed blurred". I could try adjusting the camera speed maually to get it sharp and then correcting the low light levels back up in Photoshop if you get stuck. Good luck with it at the Aquarium... (P.S. I reckon pipetting phyto around the head makes them retract less quickly, than if they are forced to retract defensivly, but it's hard either way!)
simico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2008, 05:43 PM   #1485
ESHIREY
Smilie Dragon

Originally posted by jleslie:
News item (here as there was a big Nvidia thing a while back):
"That huge bundle of damning emails and documents Microsoft produced as part of the Vista-capable lawsuit is full of fascinating information about how the company developed, planned, and launched Vista, but the latest juicy nugget to come out if it suggests that a lot of problems faced by the troubled operating system are actually NVIDIA's fault -- nearly 30% of logged Vista crashes were due to NVIDIA driver problems, according to Microsoft data included in the bundle. That's some 479,326 hung systems, if you're keeping score at home, and it's in first place by a large margin -- Microsoft clocks in at number two at 17.9 percent, and ATI is fourth with 9.3 percent. "
I suspect this is just past history though, and shouldn't be a deciding factor in graphics card choice...  
hehehehehe No change in my factor. I'll always have a NVIDIA card.
Thank you for taking the time to read this.
ESHIREY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 06:05 AM   #1486
iMark
Registered

just my two cents...the whole music included idea sounds good, until about third time you launch it and just go "oy gevalt, not again"...LOL...One of our screensavers, MA, Goldfish and Dream Aquarium are on all day, every day in our reception area, and we just use iTunes to play the music we want for day..any music player would be comparable..adding music to MA isn't a bad idea, just not a real bonus to the screensaver...just make the option to turn it off and everyone will be quite satisfied......*wink
iMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 06:21 AM   #1487
iMark
Registered

one option that I really do like on Dream Aquarium is the ability to set up several tanks with different fish and let them rotate..that might be a good option for MA, at some point...
Old 04-01-2008, 07:23 AM   #1488
Jim Sachs
Developer

I'm still deciding how the "fish-chooser" part of the interface will work. The ability to have several different "favorite" groups of fish is a possibility.

Regarding the music - of course the user will be able to turn it off. Also, once you've set up the playlist, the Aquarium will remember where it stopped last time, and start with that song for the next session. Random Play will also be available. As far as playing iTunes, it doesn't seem likely that I'll be able to do that, since they are in a proprietary format. But the user could always simply convert their Aquarium-appropriate music into .mp3 format and add it to the MA3 playlist.
Jim Sachs
Creator of SereneScreen Aquarium
Jim Sachs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 12:03 PM   #1489
Tiny Turtle
is pleased

27 Highscores

Technically speaking, iTunes handles both mp3 and aac (with or without DRM) - though I don't think we need it in MA.
Thanks to Morgan, Tiny Snapshots is up and running again with "Tiny Järvafält" as the latest addition – Go have a look and tell me what you think.

"We knew the world would not be the same. A few people laughed, a few people cried, most people were silent.
I remembered the line from the Hindu scripture, the Bhagavad-Gita. Vishnu is trying to persuade the Prince that he should do his duty and to impress him takes on his multi-armed form and says,
" /Robert Oppenheimer on witnessing the first thermonuclear detonation in history.
Old 04-01-2008, 04:54 PM   #1490
iMark
Registered

I just meant that we run a screensaver all day to display an aquarium and we run iTunes to play our music at the same time..a computer in another room runs the screensaver and iTunes..I didn't intend to suggest that they be integrated somehow...my apologies if it sounded like I did
Old 04-03-2008, 01:22 AM   #1491
Jroztan
Registered

Waiting....

After a long hiatus from this site since 04-25-2005, 05:35 PM (as per my last post) I am back after getting news about 3.0. Now I am eager beaver waiting for 3.0 to be out. You are the best Jim, keep it up. I will be first in line to get SS3.0
Jacky Tan

WIWIWIG
What I Want Is What I Get
Jroztan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 01:46 AM   #1492
johnblommers
The Architect

Originally posted by jleslie:
... but the latest juicy nugget to come out if it suggests that a lot of problems faced by the troubled operating system are actually NVIDIA's fault -- nearly 30% of logged Vista crashes were due to NVIDIA driver problems, according to Microsoft data included in the bundle.  
MSFT knows this because when Vista crashes, the crash logs sent to MSFT by the users showed the NVIDIA driver was the cause, as it runs in kernel space. Dell is the most popular PC maker using Nvidia and Dell does not want it's Vista PCs maligned by bad press about Nvidia drivers causing crashes. Oh to be a fly on the wall when Michael Dell called Nvidia and told them to fix their vista drivers or Dell would switch video card suppliers!
Reasons people don't watch Star Trek:
60% - It’s for nerds.
39% - The show’s stupid.
01% - My parents were killed by Klingons and it's still too painful.
johnblommers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 06:52 AM   #1493
feldon34
Forum Administrator

The quality of Dell PCs has dropped so precipitously, I don't think they will be on top for long. My roommate got a Dell laptop. And not the cheapest one either. It takes something like a dozen support files running to support the wireless networking. When you bring up the Task Manager, it looks like spyware central but each and every unrecognized file I saw was listed as being "essential" for the wireless networking. The whole computer runs unbelievably slow.

*hugs my HP*
"Journalism is printing what someone else does not want printed. Everything else is public relations." - George Orwell
"If voting changed anything, they'd make it illegal." - Emma Goldman
feldon34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 03:13 PM   #1494
Tiny Turtle
is pleased

27 Highscores

Welcome back, Jacky! Guess you had a few unread posts to browse through, huh?

Old 04-03-2008, 04:47 PM   #1495
Marian Nichols
~Author~

Originally posted by feldon32:
The quality of Dell PCs has dropped so precipitously, I don't think they will be on top for long. My roommate got a Dell laptop. And not the cheapest one either. It takes something like a dozen support files running to support the wireless networking. When you bring up the Task Manager, it looks like spyware central but each and every unrecognized file I saw was listed as being "essential" for the wireless networking. The whole computer runs unbelievably slow.

*hugs my HP*  
Oh dear. What will my next computer be. HP? Humm, well I do like their printers, it is the only brand I will buy, Can an HP be custom built as I did my Dell?
Write paranormal mysteries. Six books so far.
Marian Nichols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2008, 06:44 AM   #1496
feldon34
Forum Administrator

If you are getting a desktop PC, why get a name brand at all? I'm sure there's some local shop that will build a PC for you. I was mostly talking about laptops.
"Journalism is printing what someone else does not want printed. Everything else is public relations." - George Orwell
"If voting changed anything, they'd make it illegal." - Emma Goldman
feldon34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2008, 04:39 AM   #1497
jpjoe
Registered

Anybody aware of this?
http://www.nano-reef.com/gallery/sho...hp?photo=21144
jpjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2008, 07:16 AM   #1498
Overlord
Registered

I was watching comedy central last night and behind the comedian performing was a big screen with the MA on it. No fish, just the coral, bubbles and the starfish. Did they need permission to do this? Does Jim get residuals when these things are being done? Or is it just chalked up as good advertisement? Enquiring minds want to know.
Overlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2008, 07:44 AM   #1499
patscarr
Pet Shark

1 Highscore

What was the show's name? What was the comedian's name?
Patrick
patscarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2008, 08:28 AM   #1500
Overlord
Registered

The show is call COMEDY CENTRAL PRESENTS. They show various comedians doing half hour shows and I've seen MA as a background on more than one occasion but not every show.
Overlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum > SereneScreen Products > Marine Aquarium 3 for Windows > Marine Aquarium 2 for Windows Archive