Home Register Arcade Gallery Chatroom Members Today's Posts Log In
Go Back   Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum > SereneScreen Products > Marine Aquarium 3 for Windows > Marine Aquarium 2 for Windows Archive
Notices

Old 11-11-2001, 02:53 PM   #1
p_f22
Registered

Big Grin Cable modem/Ethernet card problems?

Hi...

I've just had a Comcast cable modem installed, and because of endless problems with a USB connection I now have a "Realtek RTL8029 (AS) PCI Ethernet NIC" card installed.

The first time the SS ran after the card was installed, my machine locked up. The only way to get it back was by hitting "Reset." This has happened repeatedly over the past few days; the SS comes on, and some time later, I don't know how long it takes as I haven't actually seen it happen, the PC is locked.

The SS ran beautifully for months, this has only started to happen after the Ethernet card was installed.

Are there any known - or theoretical! - conflicts with Ethernet cards?

Thanking you in advance
Paul
p_f22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2001, 03:40 PM   #2
feldon34
Forum Administrator

Please tell us:

<li>version of Windows
<li>brand and model of video card
<li>video card driver software version number
<li>Aquarium version
<li>installed DirectX version number
<li>Whether you have tried to install newer drivers for your video card or Realtek PCI card

so we can diagnose and resolve the problem.
"Journalism is printing what someone else does not want printed. Everything else is public relations." - George Orwell
"If voting changed anything, they'd make it illegal." - Emma Goldman
feldon34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2001, 04:03 PM   #3
EVERRET
Leopard Shark

10 Highscores

Cool Ethernet card

Sounds like this could be a IRQ conflict between your ethernet card and your your video card. Make sure when you installed your ethernet card that it is on a seperate IRQ than your video card. If like you say it worked fine before you installed the ethernet card this makes since.
EVERRET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2001, 05:24 PM   #4
p_f22
Registered

Tech details...

Hi guys

Okay, first of all the Ethernet card and video card are on the same IRQ, no.11, I called Comcast about this and they said, very politely, that it wasn't their problem.

My system details are as follows:
OS... Win98 second Edition
Ethernet card... Realtek RTL8029 (AS) PCI Ethernet NIC
Video card... NVIDIA TNT2 Model 64, software V4.12.01.0647
SS version... 99L

DirectX version... Sorry to ask a dumb question, but how do you find that out? But I think it's V6.

I haven't tried to upgrade the drivers for the video or ethernet cards.

Hope you can help
Paul
Old 11-11-2001, 06:27 PM   #5
feldon34
Forum Administrator

I couldn't confirm from Comcast's website what card you have. So first, you should confirm exactly what card you have. It could be a real Realtek or an OEM card like a Kingston.

If you feel comfortable doing so, crack open the case and take a look at the top of the card for indications of who really made it and maybe model numbers. You shouldn't have to remove the card to see this info but if you do, make sure the computer is off and use a screwdriver to remove the screw holding the card in place. Gently pull it out and look at the surface and/or back of it for model and brand designations.

If it's a real Realtek RTL8029(AS) PCI Ethernet card, then the recommended driver is here:

ftp://152.104.125.40/lancard/drivers...-8029(508).zip
or
ftp://ftp.realtek.com.tw/lancard/dri...-8029(508).zip

If it's a Kingston KNE30T card, their recommended driver for this card is here:

http://www.kingston.com/networking/d...ne30/30_12.exe
"Journalism is printing what someone else does not want printed. Everything else is public relations." - George Orwell
"If voting changed anything, they'd make it illegal." - Emma Goldman

Last edited by feldon34; 11-11-2001 at 06:39 PM.
feldon34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2001, 06:54 PM   #6
p_f22
Registered

Angry Thanx!

I'll try this out and see what happens!

Paul
Old 11-11-2001, 09:28 PM   #7
FrogMastr
Agalychnis callidryas

Question Irq Conflict with NIC

The best and easiest way to deal with IRQ conflict

1) IF new PCI Net Card, just Place it in another White (PCI) Slot... most of the time it will solve the problems since PCI IRQ's are slot dependent and some are shared.

2) If it is a ISA (old Blck) connection , there should be a Config Program included on the Disk included with your board.
Then use Device manager in Windows to see wich IRQ are used, then select one that is avaliable ( usually , 2,9,10,11) if none are note used, you may try to go in bios ( you may need help a this point from a Local Techie ) and disable your com2: so it will free IRQ 3, and make it avliable for other cards...

this is only a starting point.... remember ask for help when changing Bios or opening your case if you are not comfortable with changing things...
----
FrogMastr
FrogMastr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2001, 11:50 PM   #8
p_f22
Registered

Angry PCI option...

Thanx Frogmaster!

I've upgraded the drivers and that SEEMS to have solved the problem so far. If doesn't then I'll open the box and change the card slot.

I've already checked if there are any IRQ's free and they're all allocated, from 00 - 15. :-(

Thanx again
Paul
Go Back   Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum > SereneScreen Products > Marine Aquarium 3 for Windows > Marine Aquarium 2 for Windows Archive