Home Register Arcade Gallery Chatroom Members Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Log In
Go Back   Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum > SereneScreen Products > Marine Aquarium 3 for Windows > Marine Aquarium 2 for Windows Archive
Notices

Old 04-01-2008, 03:53 AM   #21
Marian Nichols
~Author~

The thing with WinMe, I feel, is MS came out with one OS after another and you barely got use to one before another came out. But hasn't it been a good five years since XP? And if I remember correctly you were hesitant about moving on to it. I don't think Vista will go the way of the Dodo. The last/fist service pack that was released is why I decided to it give it another try.
Write paranormal mysteries. Six books so far.
Marian Nichols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 09:15 AM   #22
feldon34
Forum Administrator

I skipped Me and went straight to 2000. I only switched to XP last year and the only feature it has over 2000 that I use is Remote Desktop.

So far my experience with Vista has been that they randomly rearranged all the control panels for absolutely no reason.
"Journalism is printing what someone else does not want printed. Everything else is public relations." - George Orwell
"If voting changed anything, they'd make it illegal." - Emma Goldman
feldon34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 11:12 AM   #23
jleslie
Engineer

NTFS is a journaling file system, always has been...

http://www.digit-life.com/articles/ntfs/

(This link, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compari...ote-note-37-54, says it doesn't do block journaling, but if you read the attached note you'll see it does journal everything, just everything is counted as meta-data.)
jleslie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 11:26 AM   #24
feldon34
Forum Administrator

Ok journaling is the wrong word. Tagged then.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WinFS

Many filesystems found on common operating systems, including the NTFS filesystem which is used in modern versions of Microsoft Windows, store files and other objects only as a stream of bytes, and have little or no information about the data stored in the files. Such file systems also provide only a single way of organizing the files, namely via directories and file names.

Because a file system has no knowledge about the data it stores,[5] applications tend to use their own, often proprietary, file formats. This hampers sharing of data between multiple applications. It becomes difficult to create an application which processes information from multiple file types, because the programmers have to understand the structure and semantics of all the files.

WinFS natively recognizes different types of data, such as picture, e-mail, document, audio, video, calendar, contact, among others; rather than just bytestreams as with file systems

For example, a search for "the phone numbers of all persons who live in Acapulco and each have more than 100 appearances in my photo collection and with whom I have had e-mail within last month"
"Journalism is printing what someone else does not want printed. Everything else is public relations." - George Orwell
Old 04-01-2008, 11:45 AM   #25
Marian Nichols
~Author~

I also like the automatic backup system that runs after you have set time and locale.
Old 04-01-2008, 05:55 PM   #26
enigma63941
Registered

..And here comes Windows Vienna..
enigma63941 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 06:01 PM   #27
Marian Nichols
~Author~

What? Are you serious? If so, explain.
Old 04-01-2008, 08:24 PM   #28
iMark
Registered

I've used Vista for about 6 months, no real problems with it, esp since I turned off all of it's Vista-ish looks..it's a memory hog for sure...I was quite content with XP..I also use Mac's all the time, so my windows machines now look like Macs with Windowsblinds and RK launcher..the prompts are the one thing that make me want to throw the box through window..if I didn't want to do it, I wouldn't have initiated it in the first place, so don't ask me six times if I want to do something..I use iTunes and Photoshop, Quicktime and VCL, I don't bother with the MS players and photo stuff..all-in-all, it's a big "so what??"... all of the Aquariums run fine on it as well as the Digifish Dolphins....
iMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 09:45 PM   #29
enigma63941
Registered

I've read that Microsoft hasn't even decide what "feature route" to go. One route their considering is to completely change the G.U.I. for the next Windows operating system. At least Windows vista was somewhat similar to XP, that if users were familiar with the previous and wanted to upgrade to the new operating system they wouldn't be completely lost. It seems with Windows "Vienna" people would have to learn something "new"..like teaching a dog "new tricks."
enigma63941 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008, 07:57 AM   #30
feldon34
Forum Administrator

To me Vista was a feeble attempt to copy a lot of the Mac OS X interface.

So the choice to me is either XP, or the "original", which is to say GET A MAC!

I was really hoping that Windows Vista would break with the past and quit trying to be compatible with software from Windows 95, 98, and Me and focus on 32-bit and 64-bit apps. Instead, there is this monstrous compatibility layer which tries to make Windows be compatible with everything. The end result is, it takes 10GB of hard drive space and 1GB of RAM all for itself.

Marian, Vienna is one of the codenames for the next major release of Windows.
Old 04-02-2008, 08:26 AM   #31
Marian Nichols
~Author~

Thanks Morgan, I hadn't heard as yet. I am sure it will change names many times before its final released.

Indeed it does, which is why I have three hard drives. I just now moved 'old windows' onto my external dive. It is like keeping house.
Old 04-04-2008, 07:46 PM   #32
Sinami
Registered

I love my Vista. I have 4GB RAM and really notice no slowdown from the way my XP ran. The look is great ( I am more about the way my OS and other things look these days) I love the ease of instal;lation and the lack of having to load up software for so many programs, generally Vista picks it right up and installs it with no extra issues. Most times there is no need to even reboot the computer. I also like that once I get Vista installed and tweaked I can back it up to a second hardrive or a DVD and from then on when i need to fformat I can pop that disk in and it will reload it back to teh way it was when I got it tweaked out.

Also Microsoft is dropping support for XP as well as nding the sale of any new XP editions this year. You will be forced to use Vista if you buy a new comp as of June of this year. The new Windows is scheduled for release in 2010. http://www.cbc.ca/technology/story/2...n.html?ref=rss

However, I am getting an issue now, but I think it may be with my ATI card. I will post a new thread on this however.
Sinami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2008, 08:48 PM   #33
Jim Sachs
Developer

Though I only use my Vista machine for testing the Aquarium code, I sure do like the way it's ready for work about 15 seconds after I turn it on. With most of my other machines, I turn them on in the morning, go have breakfast, and they might be about ready when I get back.
Jim Sachs
Creator of SereneScreen Aquarium
Jim Sachs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2008, 09:09 PM   #34
Tiny Turtle
is pleased

27 Highscores

Originally posted by Sinami:
Also Microsoft is dropping support for XP as well as ending the sale of any new XP editions this year. You will be forced to use Vista if you buy a new comp as of June of this year. The new Windows is scheduled for release in 2010. http://www.cbc.ca/technology/story/2...n.html?ref=rss  
Nope.
Thanks to Morgan, Tiny Snapshots is up and running again with "Tiny Järvafält" as the latest addition – Go have a look and tell me what you think.

"We knew the world would not be the same. A few people laughed, a few people cried, most people were silent.
I remembered the line from the Hindu scripture, the Bhagavad-Gita. Vishnu is trying to persuade the Prince that he should do his duty and to impress him takes on his multi-armed form and says,
'Now, I am become Death, the destroyer of worlds.'
I suppose we all thought that, one way or another.
" /Robert Oppenheimer on witnessing the first thermonuclear detonation in history.
Tiny Turtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2008, 12:39 PM   #35
ESHIREY
Smilie Dragon

That's good that they caved. I just saw it too the other day on the news that they were going to drop XP this year.
Thank you for taking the time to read this.
ESHIREY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2008, 02:40 PM   #36
feldon34
Forum Administrator

Interesting article...
http://www.nytimes.com/2008/03/09/bu...=1&oref=slogin

Last edited by feldon34; 04-07-2008 at 06:04 PM.
Old 04-07-2008, 03:41 PM   #37
Tiny Turtle
is pleased

27 Highscores

Interesting linking technique...
Thanks to Morgan, Tiny Snapshots is up and running again with "Tiny Järvafält" as the latest addition – Go have a look and tell me what you think.

"We knew the world would not be the same. A few people laughed, a few people cried, most people were silent.
I remembered the line from the Hindu scripture, the Bhagavad-Gita. Vishnu is trying to persuade the Prince that he should do his duty and to impress him takes on his multi-armed form and says,
'Now, I am become Death, the destroyer of worlds.'
I suppose we all thought that, one way or another.
" /Robert Oppenheimer on witnessing the first thermonuclear detonation in history.
Tiny Turtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2008, 06:05 PM   #38
feldon34
Forum Administrator

Now I'm having the problem you guys used to have! Post a link, it looks great, come back to the thread later and it's wrapped in tags instead of a functional, clickable link.

I'm looking very hard at vBulletin 3.7. I really want to jump us forward.
Old 11-27-2008, 03:38 PM   #39
Mith
Registered

Originally posted by feldon32:
What does Vista give you that XP doesn't have?  

Is able to utilize new hardware improvements as well as dx10
Mith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2008, 02:59 AM   #40
jleslie
Engineer

Is immune to Sinowal/Mebroot, the nastiest nasty out there...
(Well, currently...)
jleslie is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum > SereneScreen Products > Marine Aquarium 3 for Windows > Marine Aquarium 2 for Windows Archive