Home Register Arcade Gallery Chatroom Members Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Log In
Go Back   Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum > SereneScreen Products > Marine Aquarium 3 for Windows
Notices

Old 07-02-2001, 10:10 PM   #321
Coelacanth
Thought to be Extinct

Re: Coelacanth

I still want to see footage of one actually swimming. Their lobed fins are supposed to move like a horse galloping. Weird, and fascinating. And probably pretty dang tough to duplicate if Jim ever decides to put a Coelacanth in the tank!!

(They're way too big for an aquarium anyway, and who knows what a juvenile looks like, so I figure thumbs down on that idea.)
Coelacanth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2001, 11:54 AM   #322
Digital Lungfish
Obey the toad!

Re: Coelacanth

"I still want to see footage of one actually swimming."

Video of living Coelacanths is VERY difficult to come by because those who have it know it's true worth and keep it closely guarded. Although, from what I understand, that might change some time in the near future hopefully.

Fortunately, I managed to acquire video of an underwater expedition which actually shows living Coelacanths in their native surroundings. To say the least, it's an amazing thing to behold. To actually see this prehistoric fish alive and swimming in our oceans today is unlike anything else you've ever seen. Unfortunately it's video and not actual photos which is what Jim needs.

"They're way too big for an aquarium anyway, and who knows what a juvenile looks like, so I figure thumbs down on that idea.)"

Yes, I am aware of that. After all, I'm the one who had the Coelacanth put on the Wishlist in the first place. I already knew that there was an extremely high chance that Jim wouldn't do it because it "might" prove to be too difficult. The types of images Jim would need are virtually impossible to come by, so even though I've always had high hopes, I've been equally prepared to accept the fact that it just might end up being a pipe dream for the aquarium. That's why it's called the "Wishlist", Jim is the genie and he only has so many wishes he can fulfill.

- DL

P.S.
I forgot to mention, I do actually have an image of a juvenile in one of my books. The down side is it's dead and was stuffed by a taxidermist and dead fish (especially dried up fish) don't always look the same as they did alive.

Anyway, it was pulled from the belly of a large pregnant female that died before it could give birth. From what I can remember though, it looked like there was little to no difference between the juvenile and the adult. I would post the image now, but I'm at work and don't have the book on hand.
Steve
www.tron-sector.com - www.badcartridge.com - www.classicgaming.com - www.dinofish.com
Today is the tomorrow you were worried about yesterday...
Digital Lungfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2001, 01:50 PM   #323

Nautalis freak sighting....

The more I hear everyone talk about it the more I feel like this was some kinda freak accident that I saw. I am certain that what I saw were a pair of Nautalis, they looked identical to the pictures that were posted (did not look like the baby one, the full-sized ones that are white with brown highlights).

The only reason I know they were called Nautalis is because I had to ask one of the people who worked there what they were because I had never seen anything like them. I am certain it was a reef tank because they were in one of the tanks that holds all the corals and such that one can actually buy from this store. They weren't moving around THAT much but if they are noctournal they certainly weren't hiding from the light or resting. The tank was brightly lit with metal-halide (sp?) lighting for the corals and such.

If anyone lives in the Sacramento area they are welcome to go check the store out themselves. It is called Aqua-Life in Rocklin. I'm sure that being as rare as they seem to be, it is possible that this store got in this pair and was not quite sure what conditions were best for them. Although this is the best store I have found in the greater Sacramento area (I have been to a lot) in terms of knowledge, selection, and price. In response to DL, I do have access to a dgital camera and if I ever see them there again I will glady take pictures (I will even take video if Jim would like) but I haven't seen them there since and have never seen them at another store. Which also kinda makes me think it was a freak incident that I saw these 2 and this store had them. Hope this clears up any confusion, although it probably made it worse

Chris Riffey
Old 07-03-2001, 02:38 PM   #324
Digital Lungfish
Obey the toad!

Re: Nautalis freak sighting....

Guest,

You didn't make anything worse by any means, so I wouldn't worry about it. If anything, you just made the Wishlist a bit more interesting is all.

Anyway, are you saying they're no longer there? I thought your original post was in reference to a recent sighting and not a past one.

- DL
Steve
www.tron-sector.com - www.badcartridge.com - www.classicgaming.com - www.dinofish.com
Old 07-04-2001, 10:11 AM   #325
nicksteel
Registered

Re: The Sachs Aquarium WISHLIST

Somehow I've missed the following information: Are mouth and gill movement to be included in the next release?
nicksteel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2001, 10:46 AM   #326
Jim Sachs
Developer

No, the one after that.
Jim Sachs
Creator of SereneScreen Aquarium
Jim Sachs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2001, 03:28 PM   #327

Nautalis sighting...

hehe, no sorry they aren't there anymore. When I saw them it was about a year ago.

Chris Riffey
Old 07-09-2001, 03:41 AM   #328

I discovered a hidden options (curently not working yet), inside the screensaver v0.99K. There are three sliders for invertabrates (gee what will there be).

I allso translated your (Sachs) aqarium into my language.

Ok enough of that.
I think that curent version is at 75% of reallife (what still could be done with Dx .

- Consider options such as Bumpmapping :rollin:
- higher poly models (option for strong CPU/GPU) :rollin:
- different light sources :rollin:
- transparency of plant life :rollin:
- slow grazing snails (bottom dwellers) :rollin:
- fish feeding habits :rollin:
- option that allows more than 7 fish :rollin:
Old 07-09-2001, 09:48 AM   #329
feldon34
Forum Administrator

-Consider options such as Bumpmapping
- higher poly models (option for strong CPU/GPU)
- different light sources
- transparency of plant life
- slow grazing snails (bottom dwellers)
- fish feeding habits
- option that allows more than 7 fish
Bumpmapping would add 500kb to the size of the Aquarium for a minimal improvement. Realise the textures are only 128x64. The regular textures and bump map texture layer would both have to be twice that to gain any noticeable reward.

Hmm. I think the poly counts on the fish are perfect, but maybe you are running at a very high resolution.

Right now, the Aquarium is lit with a standard light from the top, like most Aquariums. If he added an additional light, such as an actinic light (which changes the color of the fish), he'd have to have two textures of each fish, doubling the size of the Aquarium file.

Or were you speaking strictly of another light of the same color? I know the lighting will get more complicated and more powerful in the next couple of months, where you'll be able to set the minimum brightness, etc.

There's no plant life right now. Were you hoping Jim would add kelp?

If snails are added, they'd be able to crawl all over the tank including the glass.

Jim wants to add both user feeding of the fish, and fish nibbling on the coral (no coral would be harmed in this process). Also, fish would chase each other, etc.

You can get the widescreen version if you want 8 fish. In the next coming months, the present background will be scrapped, and in its place, a double-wide background (extending off both sides of your screen) will be put in. The camera will slowly pan back and forth to expose the entire tank. It's likely we'll see an allowance for 10 or more fish slots. Of course invertebrates don't count towards the fish limit.
"Journalism is printing what someone else does not want printed. Everything else is public relations." - George Orwell
"If voting changed anything, they'd make it illegal." - Emma Goldman
feldon34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2001, 05:08 PM   #330

The Sachs Aquarium Wishlist

I have heard talk about the camera pan feature. Would we be able to disable this feature? Will there be a Mandarin in the 1.0 versions when the 3D background is done? Great job Jim !
Old 07-09-2001, 06:15 PM   #331
feldon34
Forum Administrator

Re: The Sachs Aquarium Wishlist

You'll be able to stop the camera if you wish. But I doubt you'll want to turn this off. It improves the Aquarium's functionality as a screen saver (none of the screen will be static), lets you have more fish in the tank, and allows Jim to add places for the Octopus, Eel, etc. to hide.

The next version, which adds 2 more fish and a Starfish, will probably be labeled 1.0.

The 3d background is months away. Who knows when the Mandarin Gobi will be done. It does not depend on the 3D background the way many of the invertebrates do.
"Journalism is printing what someone else does not want printed. Everything else is public relations." - George Orwell
"If voting changed anything, they'd make it illegal." - Emma Goldman
feldon34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2001, 01:08 AM   #332
Digital Lungfish
Obey the toad!

Hey Coelacanth,

I went and dug out that book from my personal library that has a picture of the Coelacanth fry in it. Here it is along with the author of the book holding it, thought you might be interested:

- DL
Steve
Old 07-10-2001, 10:33 PM   #333
Coelacanth
Thought to be Extinct

Interesting! I've never seen a picture of a young fry (pup? whatever). Looks exactly like the parents. I guess they don't go through any form changes.
Coelacanth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2001, 12:09 PM   #334
Digital Lungfish
Obey the toad!

You're right, it should have been "fry" and not "pup", kind of a habit of mine I suppose.

As for the lack of apparent changes from fry to adult, I agree with you, it is very interesting. I know of one way to find out for sure though. I have a contact that works with Coelacanths, their long history, and the expeditions, he would know if anyone. Let me see if I can pick his brain and find out what he knows. Besides, now I'm really curious!

- DL
Steve
Old 07-12-2001, 05:19 AM   #335

One morre idea

Hi,

Congratulations for the aquarium.

Here's one more tip for the wishlist.

Today's situation :
Fishes are moving in the tank and they turn around when they are outside the screen.

What I suggest :
With a new option, a fish could change for another type of fish when out of the screen. With this invisible operation, there can seem to be more than 7 fishes in the tank. And we could see, randomly, all the available types of fish without having to get through the settings.
I know it's not very realistic but all the fishes are so nice that we like to see all of them but without having to set the soft all the time.

Just an idea....
Old 07-12-2001, 06:41 AM   #336
Jav400
Administrator

22 Highscores

Re: One morre idea

Ben,

This idea has been discussed in the past. If you will read through the previous topics, and browse through Feldon's support site, you will find the answers to many questions and the reasons for or against the implementation of them. In this case it would cause problems for several reasons, and the answer was probably not.

In addition, your other post was deleted from the forum, please do not post the same exact question in several different places.
Jav400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2001, 11:55 AM   #337
Digital Lungfish
Obey the toad!

Awe ratz, don't you hate it when you come up with a pretty cool idea, but know that it's way beyond too late? I wish I had thought of this much earlier on, oh well.

Anyway, I think it would have been pretty interesting if Jim had created a circular tank with a centrally located reef. That way the 3D background/reef and panning camera motion could be tied in and you could have the camera spin around the tank clockwise or counterclockwise instead of just left to right and back again. Don't get me wrong though Jim, we're lucky we're getting the panning motion as it is, but as an alternate method for displaying the tank I think this "circular" idea would have been a neat twist (no pun intended).

Update:

Jim,

I know that one of your chief concerns with regards to the 3D aquarium background is exposure. You don't want any of the non-textured or modeled areas of the 3D background to be visible to the users which is why you've decided not to go with my earlier idea of multiple camera angles (understandable). However, with a circular design you wouldn't have to worry about that since you would need to model the 3D elements in full and therefore you would be able to include the option for multiple camera angels throughout the environments.

I know this idea isn't without it's downsides though and I'm sure you'll point these out. One of which is likely to be hardware. The more 3D there is, the more the chances are that it would require users to have better hardware in order to display it. I'm sure this could be worked around in some fashion though.

Anyway, perhaps this idea could be used in the creation of your upcoming screensavers (aviary, butterfly garden, and terrarium), or perhaps not? It's all a matter of what's realistic in your eyes Jim and what you feel is possible. I still think it's worth considering though...

- DL
Steve
Old 07-17-2001, 01:11 PM   #338
Jim Sachs
Developer

Sounds hard.
Jim Sachs
Creator of SereneScreen Aquarium
Jim Sachs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2001, 11:02 AM   #339
Digital Lungfish
Obey the toad!

Jim,

I'm working on a diagram that will explain it better, I'll post it when I have more time (probably Friday night). Hopefully that will give you a better understanding of what I'm suggesting.

- DL
Steve
Old 07-18-2001, 01:26 PM   #340

Whoa,... the wishlist is looong.

Why the H**L, doesen`t Jim hire some aditional programers.
He can`t possibly cope with this by himself, can he?

Why is the wish of having fish use bumpmapping taken lightly.
Is it because, he would have to peprogram the whole application for it?
It would definitely, be worth it.

This is perhabs, sci-fi task even for Jim himself. Yeah Dx8 programming is a real pain in th............!

Isn`t he supposed to be top notch programmer?

Just a little sarcasm, hope you don`t mind.
Go Back   Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum > SereneScreen Products > Marine Aquarium 3 for Windows