Home Register Arcade Gallery Chatroom Members Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Log In
Go Back   Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum > SereneScreen Products > Marine Aquarium 3 for Windows
Notices

Old 05-16-2005, 09:38 AM   #1221
feldon34
Forum Administrator

or Guy Smiley
"Journalism is printing what someone else does not want printed. Everything else is public relations." - George Orwell
"If voting changed anything, they'd make it illegal." - Emma Goldman
feldon34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2005, 10:32 AM   #1222
Jim Sachs
Developer

iamsand - All that is planned.
Jim Sachs
Creator of SereneScreen Aquarium
Jim Sachs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2005, 10:47 AM   #1223
ESHIREY
Smilie Dragon

hehehehehe Thanks guys.
Thank you for taking the time to read this.
ESHIREY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2005, 01:04 PM   #1224
Ropaswan
Registered

Cool Multiscreen Clock

I looked around for awhile at aquarium screen savers and found this one to be the best, although some others have nice other features.

When I purchased the download I was duped into buying the "bundle" of MA2 and MAT (with the crystal clock). I figured MAT was an add-in, so needed to be purchased along with the other, not a whole different program. I use my laptop with a 2nd monitor so like the multidisplay program, but now I can't have the clock on-screen like I paid for. Is there any plan to make the time program multiscreen?

Also, when I come back to my desk I have to close the screen saver to check for e-mail. What would be slick is to have some indication (a flag waving on a submerged mail box or something) indicating e-mail has arrived (like the one down by the clock in the task bar).

One more observation. When I run MA or MAMS my frame rate is about 50-60 fps. When I run MAT it shows 180 fps. The one difference I've noticed is the slow ones use VSyncCLAMP while the fast one uses VSyncOFF. I don't see anyway to change it, and don't really know what it is.

Anyway. This is really a great program. Like others have said, this is the first screen saver I've found worth paying for. Keep up the good work.
Ropaswan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2005, 01:32 PM   #1225
johnblommers
The Architect

A joke, a note, and a question

Originally posted by Ropaswan:
.... When I purchased the download I was duped into buying the "bundle" of MA2 and MAT (with the crystal clock). I figured MAT was an add-in, so needed to be purchased along with the other, not a whole different program. I use my laptop with a 2nd monitor so like the multidisplay program, but now I can't have the clock on-screen like I paid for. Is there any plan to make the time program multiscreen? ...  
Oh dear you fell victim to marketspeak then? That reminds me of an old joke: "What's the difference between a software salesman and a used car salesman? The used car salesman knows when he's lying!"

You can run both screen savers concurrently using their application mode. Leave room on one monitor to display your clock application.

BTW how did you determine about the vertical synchronization options that you noted was correlated with frame rate?
Reasons people don't watch Star Trek:
60% - It’s for nerds.
39% - The show’s stupid.
01% - My parents were killed by Klingons and it's still too painful.
johnblommers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2005, 01:59 PM   #1226
feldon34
Forum Administrator

When I purchased the download I was duped into buying the "bundle" of MA2 and MAT (with the crystal clock). I figured MAT was an add-in, so needed to be purchased along with the other, not a whole different program.  
I'm sorry you feel you were "duped". Marine Aquarium Time 2 is prominently featured as a $20 purchase on the Products page. If you have any suggestions on how to improve the wording on the site, please let us know!

I use my laptop with a 2nd monitor so like the multidisplay program, but now I can't have the clock on-screen like I paid for. Is there any plan to make the time program multiscreen?  
Please visit the Marine Aquarium Time product page and download Marine Aquarium Time 2.0 MD.

Also, when I come back to my desk I have to close the screen saver to check for e-mail. What would be slick is to have some indication (a flag waving on a submerged mail box or something) indicating e-mail has arrived (like the one down by the clock in the task bar).  
Not everyone uses Outlook. That said, I will wait for Jim to comment on whether this feature is a possibility.

One more observation. When I run MA or MAMS my frame rate is about 50-60 fps. When I run MAT it shows 180 fps. The one difference I've noticed is the slow ones use VSyncCLAMP while the fast one uses VSyncOFF.  
VSyncCLAMP is better for your computer because it doesn't stress the components quite so much. When the Aquarium is generating more than 100 frames per second, those frames aren't actually seen, but the 3D chips are working hard to generate them anyway. My recommended setting is 58fps. To change the setting, hit the SPACE bar to open up Settings and use the "Limit fps to" feature.

Anyway. This is really a great program. Like others have said, this is the first screen saver I've found worth paying for. Keep up the good work.  
Glad to hear you are happy with it and thanks for your suggestions!
"Journalism is printing what someone else does not want printed. Everything else is public relations." - George Orwell
Old 05-20-2005, 02:26 PM   #1227
Ropaswan
Registered

Thanks for the reply, and the link to the multi-screen time version.

On the "dupe" issue, it might be worthwhile to put in big, bold text, "This is a stand-alone application, the basic MA version is not required." And why bundle them together anyway? Who (except a naive soul like me) would want both versions? I would put my suggested text in big letters somewhere in that "bundle" section. Maybe a pop-up that says, "Are you sure you want to do this, you know you don't need both?" Anyway, I did request a refund for one or the other, since I don't use both programs. But this will be the end of my whining.

I'm looking forward to the enhancements (more fish, crawlers, 2-screen spanning). Aside from paying for the program I wish there was something I could do to help.

When I registered the program I didn't check the "send an e-mail when there are updates." Now I can't find out how to change that. Is there a link? Or should I just watch this list?
Ropaswan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2005, 06:58 AM   #1228
Tiny Turtle
is pleased

27 Highscores

Originally posted by Jim Sachs:
. . . It's great if you happen to need a crescent wrench, a wedding ring, and an avocado.  
Hah, I bet MacGywer (sp?) could build a working microwave owen out of just that.

/Tiny Swiss Knife
Thanks to Morgan, Tiny Snapshots is up and running again with "Tiny Järvafält" as the latest addition – Go have a look and tell me what you think.

"We knew the world would not be the same. A few people laughed, a few people cried, most people were silent.
I remembered the line from the Hindu scripture, the Bhagavad-Gita. Vishnu is trying to persuade the Prince that he should do his duty and to impress him takes on his multi-armed form and says,
'Now, I am become Death, the destroyer of worlds.'
I suppose we all thought that, one way or another.
" /Robert Oppenheimer on witnessing the first thermonuclear detonation in history.
Tiny Turtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2005, 07:53 AM   #1229
bigelectricat
Registered

i just want to share some thoughts on things that i wish this product had. i apologize if others already posted similar ideas. i could not find the time to read this entire thread.

1) moving gills

2) colored aquarium lights

3) bubbles that spread on the surface of the water from the bubble column cast a pattern of refracted shadow.

4) fishes cast shadow on the bottom surface and on each other

5) fish droppings

6) fish feeding on the droppings

7) hermit crabs

8) mantis shrimps (salt water variety with vibrant colors)

9) full 3d aquarium decorations (corals, rocks and stones)

10) water pump sound
bigelectricat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2005, 08:43 AM   #1230
feldon34
Forum Administrator

Originally posted by bigelectricat:
1) moving gills  
Coming.

3) bubbles that spread on the surface of the water from the bubble column cast a pattern of refracted shadow.  
There is no surface of the water. For good reason. No video game or screen saver to date has created realistic water surfaces, so the best solution is to NOT show them.

4) fishes cast shadow on the bottom surface and on each other  
Real fish do not cast shadows on the bottom in a saltwater tank. As for each other, this may be coming.

5) fish droppings

6) fish feeding on the droppings  
Sick! Why does everyone want to see fish poop? I just don't get it.

7) hermit crabs

8) mantis shrimps (salt water variety with vibrant colors)

9) full 3d aquarium decorations (corals, rocks and stones)  
Coming.

10) water pump sound  
This is one I've asked about in the past. No word.
Old 05-23-2005, 09:02 AM   #1231
ESHIREY
Smilie Dragon

For the water surface in games, you got to checkout some of the maps made for UT2004. Some of the water is better then the water you saw in FarCry.
Old 05-23-2005, 09:13 AM   #1232
bbing
Registered

Actinic lighting effects on zooanthellae algae (actinic only)

Tridacnia squamosa

Pulsing zenia (that pulses)

Move coral tenticles on the grape

Maroon anemone hosting clowns

Sexy shrimps

Blennies, gobies, and hawkfish. There movement would create striking contrast to the cruisers.

It would really be bitchen w/ your planned creature paks
to allow growth of specific inverts based on some kind of user input or intervention event that demonstrates appropriate husbandry i.e.;

addition of strontium supplements pumps up the soft coral, but add to much and burn it.

addition of extra or specialty light paks will support different animals.

I think just about every reef keeper in the world would purchase this product

For those who argue that the reason this product apeals to them is lack of "real maitenance" ; you can operate in "pro" mode or "auto-maintenance" mode.

Reefers probably spend the most money on the hobby and I know I would shell out at least $100 to create the virtual reef that cost 1/50 of what I've paid for the real thing; besides, this can be marketed as a "green" hobby relieving much of the pressure the real hobby has put on these magnificint biotopes.

Retail price of pacific blue tangs in San Diego @ $50
The presure on these animals has forced the cost as
take areas are becomming depleted. Gotta burn more fuel to get to the fish.
bbing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2005, 09:19 AM   #1233
ESHIREY
Smilie Dragon

Welcome bbing to the forums. I'm sure you will like it here and thanks for posting your ideas.
Old 05-23-2005, 01:55 PM   #1234
johnblommers
The Architect

Goldfish Aquarium on a 55" HDTV at CompUSA

Yeah, one of the Fred Meyer stores in Medford uses it to show off monitors, too.

I had never been in a Fred Meyer before I started going to Oregon. Really strange store. They've got everything. It's great if you happen to need a crescent wrench, a wedding ring, and an avocado.  
This weekend I was looking at a Sony 55-inch HDTV hooked up to an HP media center PC which runs Windows XP. So I sat down in the nice leather chair, grabbed the Bluetooth keyboard, and proceeded to check out the Desktop properties. Darned if it wasn't almost exactly 1920x1080. Darned if the Goldfish Aquarium screen saver wasn't loaded up.

SWEET! It does look SO nice on a 55-inch HDTV screen! Jim they are selling $3000 HDTV sets using Goldfish Aquarium. You are famous!

And you're right - even at 55-inches the aquarium still only holds five fish comfortably
Reasons people don't watch Star Trek:
60% - It’s for nerds.
39% - The show’s stupid.
01% - My parents were killed by Klingons and it's still too painful.
johnblommers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2005, 02:07 PM   #1235
bbing
Registered

Still waiting for suggestions regarding aquarium stores to visit. Have camera - willing to fly.

So far, the only person to come up with a potenial source for material is Jim O'Conner. I'm trying to put together a trip to Dallas at the end of the month.

I'll be going to Chicago next week, so if anyone knows of stores with a great selection of invertebrates in that area, please chime in. (Taking my daughter to visit the University of Chicago, where she will start in Sept.)  

I live in San Diego; however I believe I worked at the best store for this in South Carolina, Tideline Aquatics.
They wholesale now too but the little retail store would draw people fron North Carolina to Georgia. If you ever are in the Charleston area check them out (actual city is Hanahan sp? I believe. Killer inverts in big tanks, show tanks, and acrylic specimin system.
bbing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2005, 03:45 PM   #1236
Jim Sachs
Developer

johnblommers - I didn't do the Goldfish Aquarium, my buddy Eric Daniels did.

bbing - Thanks for the info. I'll check it out if I ever travel in that area.
Jim Sachs
Old 05-24-2005, 04:16 AM   #1237
bigelectricat
Registered

Originally posted by feldon29:

Sick! Why does everyone want to see fish poop? I just don't get it.  
i dunno why i want to see it. maybe because its kinda funny when one fish is tailing another for a snack. especially if its a long string to snack on.

would there be underwater plants that grow in the next major version? how about random layout of the aquarium corals, stones and plants each time the screensaver starts?

anyone seen the nvidia technology demo called 'nalu'? it has the most realistic real time underwater effect i have ever seen. but the hardware requirements to run it smoothly is pretty steep.
bigelectricat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2005, 05:03 AM   #1238
drfish
the Doc

anyone seen the nvidia technology demo called 'nalu'? it has the most realistic real time underwater effect i have ever seen. but the hardware requirements to run it smoothly is pretty steep.  
I wanted to be impressed by it, but I wasn't... I think the Dawn demo from the previous gen of cards looked better actually... I give it a, "meh."
I don't watch commercials.
drfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2005, 08:46 PM   #1239
GreenHsiF
SereneScreenFanatic

Have you made any new fish yet for the new 3-D aquarium Jim,if so what are they?

Could you tell us what fish you like on the wishlist page and what we might see in the 3-D aquarium?

Just curious...
GreenHsiF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2005, 09:26 PM   #1240
Jim Sachs
Developer

I haven't done any new fish, and probably will just tune up the existing fish for 3.0. The 3D background will be more than enough work.
Jim Sachs
Go Back   Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum > SereneScreen Products > Marine Aquarium 3 for Windows