Home Register Arcade Gallery Chatroom Members Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Log In
Go Back   Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum > SereneScreen Products > Marine Aquarium 3 for Windows
Notices

Old 05-03-2010, 06:15 PM   #61
Jim Sachs
Developer

JamesGraystone - Are you able to switch the monitor between the two inputs? If so, does it show two different views of the MA3 tank? I'm assuming that the lack of panning is from the system thinking it's already showing the whole width of the tank. (Though it seems like this should have also been happening with XP.)
Jim Sachs
Creator of SereneScreen Aquarium
Jim Sachs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 08:27 PM   #62
Dale
Banned

Originally posted by Jim Sachs:
JamesGraystone - Are you able to switch the monitor between the two inputs? If so, does it show two different views of the MA3 tank? I'm assuming that the lack of panning is from the system thinking it's already showing the whole width of the tank. (Though it seems like this should have also been happening with XP.)  
If all of the hardware was the same, including having two cables connected at both ends, the same monitor, and the same monitor resolution settings. [Or at least the two resolution settings adding up to full tank width].

Otherwise, he could have been seeing just a little panning, and thinking that's all there was.
Dale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 03:24 AM   #63
cjmaddy
Registered

James, - I would definitely suggest that you should remove the analog cable, both connections are not needed, and the DVI connection will normally always give far better quality. - The analog option is provided for use with older analog monitors.

I think this analog/digital dual-cable situation has been at the root of your current problem, though why it didn't show with XP may remain a mystery. - I would also suggest always using the latest ATI drivers that work for you on your equipment, (and that are designed for the OS in use).

If as you say, disconnecting the Analog cable results in MA3 not showing the dialog box for multiple monitors, (and MA3 then scrolls as intended), then consider that you have just solved your own problem!
cjmaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 08:14 AM   #64
Dale
Banned

Originally posted by cjmaddy:
..., then consider that you have just solved your own problem!  
I think there was a bit of assistance from you and some other folks here.
Old 05-04-2010, 09:54 AM   #65
JamesGreystone
Registered

Originally posted by Dale:
OK, underlying problem fixed. And, for those who jumped at conclusions, it's not a MA3 problem with Windows 7.

[There was this guy who jumped at the conclusion of a mule ... but I digress]

Same hardware (computer, video card, etc.) - just upgraded from XP to W7? Same monitor? Same two cables connected on both ends?  

Yes to all questions, except you can't upgrade xp to win 7 so it was a new install on a new hard drive.
JamesGreystone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 10:04 AM   #66
JamesGreystone
Registered

Originally posted by Jim Sachs:

Hi Jim I tested what you asked and am able to switch from analog to DVI and you are correct it shows 2 different views left and right.

So it thinks I have 2 monitors set up, it was okay in XP so I think Win 7 must just be more sophisticated.

I played with some settings, under multiple monitors(because win 7 thinks I have 2 becuase of analog and DVI inputs), and there is a setting called duplicate displays which basically tells it that it is one monitor. After doing this MA3 box to render same image on all monitors dissapeared.

Win 7 is the culprit in this case.

Thanks Jim.
Old 05-04-2010, 10:06 AM   #67
JamesGreystone
Registered

Thanks to all for getiing my MA3 looking so pretty once again.
If only Microsoft and Apple support were so helpful.

Cheers
Old 05-04-2010, 12:16 PM   #68
Dale
Banned

If all of the hardware was the same, including having two cables connected at both ends, the same monitor, and the same monitor resolution settings. [Or at least the two resolution settings adding up to full tank width].  
... but it worked differently in XP...

Originally posted by JamesGreystone:
Hi Jim I tested what you asked and am able to switch from analog to DVI and you are correct it shows 2 different views left and right.

So it thinks I have 2 monitors set up, it was okay in XP so I think Win 7 must just be more sophisticated.

Win 7 is the culprit in this case.

Not that it makes a real difference here, but it's more likely that there is some difference in the behavior of the ATI drivers, rather than than Windows 7. [I'm not defending W7 - but it's sometimes helpful to precisely identify where the difference lies]
Old 05-04-2010, 02:32 PM   #69
JohnWho
Registered

I agree with Dale -

it appears that Win 7 is more "sophisticated", as JamesGreystone points out, so it is able to handle more sophisticated installations.

Personally, based on what I've read in this thread, the "culprit" really is/was the setup. I suspect the manual or instructions for that video card may mention something about not using both outputs/cables on the same monitor at the same time.

Perhaps someone can come up with a logical reason to do it?
JohnWho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 02:36 PM   #70
Jav400
Administrator

22 Highscores

AFAIK there isn't one
Jav400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 02:46 PM   #71
Dale
Banned

Originally posted by JohnWho:
Perhaps someone can come up with a logical reason to do it?  
OK, stretching things a little.

If I had an application that would only work at a lower resolution setting, I could run that application on the "analog" screen, set up at a lower resolution. Then I could use the monitor controls to switch between that input and the normal, higher-resolution DVI input.

I've actually seen such technical cases - they were always run with two monitors, to avoid having to toggle the inputs on one monitor. But if you could only afford one monitor......
Old 05-04-2010, 02:46 PM   #72
Wizwad
Only me...

I keep feeling there's something missing here. Maybe something along the lines of "You're welcome!" or "Pleased to be able to help!"
Mark
-----------
Intel i7 12700K | Aorus Z690 Pro | Corsair DDR5 5600 32GB | Asus Dual RTX3060ti 6GB v2 Mini OC | Corsair RM850 Gold PSU | 1TB NVMe M.2 WD Black SN850 | 4TB Seagate BarraCuda HDD | Corsair Airflow 5000D Case | HP 32QHD 4K Monitor | Windows 11 x64 Professional
Wizwad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 02:53 PM   #73
JohnWho
Registered

Thumbs Up

OK, stretching things a little.

If I had an application that would only work at a lower resolution setting, I could run that application on the "analog" screen, set up at a lower resolution. Then I could use the monitor controls to switch between that input and the normal, higher-resolution DVI input.

I've actually seen such technical cases - they were always run with two monitors, to avoid having to toggle the inputs on one monitor. But if you could only afford one monitor......  
Ah, ha -

Old 05-04-2010, 03:54 PM   #74
Dale
Banned

Originally posted by JamesGreystone:
Thanks to all for getiing my MA3 looking so pretty once again.

Cheers  
Most of us enjoy troubleshooting - and the tougher the problem, the better. It's particularly satisfying when we can resolve a problem in an initially-unexpected way.

Those who are just reading along are learning a lot, along with us.

So, thanks for participating in our education and entertainment.

Old 05-04-2010, 06:01 PM   #75
JohnWho
Registered

Back to beta 11f for a moment -

Jim, regarding the colors for the digital clock and calendar, I see 15 color selections including white and black. Are they the final choices or are you going to "tweak" them a bit? Some are very similar.

Just wondering.
Old 05-04-2010, 06:26 PM   #76
ESHIREY
Smilie Dragon

I'm glad you got it working.
I really like that we can change the color of the background. The light blue was ok but not for me. I love having the darker blue. That's how I have the background on 2 of my tanks here. Thanks Jim.
Thank you for taking the time to read this.
ESHIREY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 07:32 PM   #77
Jim Sachs
Developer

JohnWho - I'm still open to suggestions at this point.
Jim Sachs
Old 05-04-2010, 08:25 PM   #78
JohnWho
Registered

Jim - I only mentioned it because some of the colors are very similar.

Sliders, like with the background would obviously provide the most flexibility. Multiple selections, also similar to the background would add the ability to have the colors change, too.

But, as Rick Nelson sang, "you can't please everyone, so you've got to please yourself."
Old 05-04-2010, 08:32 PM   #79
ESHIREY
Smilie Dragon

You got that right.
Thank you for taking the time to read this.
ESHIREY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 09:56 PM   #80
Jim Sachs
Developer

I'm not going to spend time on anything fancy, but I could change individual colors if you have a suggestion. They may seem close on some monitors, but the RGB values of these colors are really quite far apart. When I was first adding the digital clock, I was experimenting with a blue-green color that closeley matched a digital clock I had. Everyone absolutely hated the color. So I added a but more blue, and suddenly stopped getting complaints. Yet these two colors are probably the closest together of any in the current selections.
Jim Sachs
Go Back   Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum > SereneScreen Products > Marine Aquarium 3 for Windows