Home Register Arcade Gallery Chatroom Members Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Log In
Go Back   Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum > SereneScreen Products > Marine Aquarium 3 for Windows
Notices

Old 02-01-2009, 02:35 AM   #1
Xylem
Registered

SS settings drops MA3

I don't know whether this should be in the installer thread; someone can move it if they want. Also this involves Vista64.

I have encountered major problems, and don't know if it's me or the installer.

Prob #1: I installed MA3, set it as default SS, and then entered a keycode. All was well, until I realized tonight that my machine, although unattended, had not gone to sleep as usual. The monitor had shut down, but the MA3 music ,and I presume the SS itself, was still running, and the machine was running with all lights blazing.

Prob #2: Not wanting to worry about it now, I just changed my default SS to DA, which I know will allow the comp to go to sleep. As soon as I did that MA3 dissappeared from the Display Settings (SS Settings) dropdown list. It was still in the Add/Remove panel, and in SysWOW64. It would also start manually from the desk icon as would the 'beta9.' But I could no longer select it as default.

Prob#3: The only way around this was to completely uninstall, run a registry cleaner, restart, and reinstall (disabling AVG and Spybot). When I did this I got 3 entries in the SS Settings dropdown list: MA3 and MA2 + Time, and 1 called "PSerenescreen Marine Aquarium 3." When I right clicked the MA3 icon and clicked "install' the odd entry ( PSerene...etc) disappeared. Further, I did not have to re-enter my keycode, so I knew the registry had not been thouroughly cleaned.

I actually did this process 3 times and got the same result. I still have MA2+time in the list.

---
Now, I am still running Beta9 ( with the clock, etc), and I do have MA2 installed. It was my belief that MA2 had to be installed to run the beta series; am I correct about that?

And another thing; before MA3 would run I got a message window from Spybot that a registry change was requested, specifically: from "old data: C:\windows\SYSTEM32\marine ~1.scr" to "new data" C:\SysWOW64\marine~1.scr.

Up till now I had seen no entries for Serenescreen in System32.

I also manually checked the registry and found (after uninstall) the following entries:

HKEY Current User> Software> Serenescreen> 1. MA2 +time and 2.MA3.
HKEY Local Machine> Software> WOW6432node> 1. MA2 +time and 2. MA3.

The Local Machine entries were far sparser than the Current user entries, but both had values entered. And both 'MA2 +time' had the Reg Code.

Anyway, you folks know more than me what this means, so appreciate your advice. Should I have uninstalled MA2? I thought Jim had said that they were independant and would not conflict. Is there something else going on. And surely it is a problem if changing screensavers caused MA3 to disappear?

Terribly sorry about such a long post, but thought you'd want all the info.
Xylem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2009, 03:27 AM   #2
Jim Sachs
Developer

I think we may be close to dropping Vista64 from the recommeded list.

Regarding MA2 - no, the MA3 Beta does not need it or even know it's there. The Beta should recognize your MA3 Key.
Jim Sachs
Creator of SereneScreen Aquarium
Jim Sachs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2009, 07:15 AM   #3
rctneil
Registered

Why drop it?, 64 bit is the future, if anything it should be the recommended version!
rctneil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2009, 08:05 AM   #4
jleslie
Engineer

http://www.techspot.com/news/33310-m...-be-64bit.html

"We’ve been able to make the switch to 64-bit operating systems for a while now, but driver compatibility issues and the mere fact that there wasn’t a lot of need for it have held up widespread adoption. Things have been changing rapidly in the past year, though, according to Microsoft, with about 25 percent of all Vista installations in 2008 opting for a 64-bit setup."

I'm on 32-bit XP, but rctneil has a point... especially for the future...
jleslie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2009, 08:28 AM   #5
rctneil
Registered

I ahve Vista 64 and have hardly had any issues with Ma3 apart from the ones that have been reported and fixed!
rctneil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2009, 09:47 AM   #6
feldon34
Forum Administrator

The issue is that using all of the documented instructions from Microsoft to make a Screen Saver installer doesn't seem to work. So there must be some trick that SS developers are doing to make it work properly on Vista64. For the time being, the workaround is to right-click on the Aquarium file and choose "Install". This uses the operating system's own install routine for screen savers.

It may be that someone will have to take a snapshot of the Registry just before and after performing that step and then get back to us on what change(s) were made so the official Installer can make the same changes.
"Journalism is printing what someone else does not want printed. Everything else is public relations." - George Orwell
"If voting changed anything, they'd make it illegal." - Emma Goldman
feldon34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2009, 10:41 AM   #7
Dale
Banned

Originally posted by Xylem:

Prob #1: I installed MA3, set it as default SS, and then entered a keycode. All was well, until I realized tonight that my machine, although unattended, had not gone to sleep as usual. The monitor had shut down, but the MA3 music ,and I presume the SS itself, was still running, and the machine was running with all lights blazing.  
I thought that was "normal behavior" for MA. I am sure that I have a Vista Ultimate 32 system with MA2.6 that continues to play the "bubble sound" after the monitor is turned off (by the automatic power settings) - at least as long as the computer doesn't go into "standby" or "hibernate". [Perhaps your settings are different, though].

I'll have to test that on MA3 when I get a chance. Or, Jim can tell us what the sound is supposed to do under various conditions.

Originally posted by Xylem:

Prob#3: ... When I did this I got 3 entries in the SS Settings dropdown list: MA3 and MA2 + Time, and 1 called "PSerenescreen Marine Aquarium 3." ...  
Just after I installed MA3 (Installer version) on an XP system, and asked the installer to make MA3 my default screensaver, I am certain that I saw TWO entries in the Screensaver list for MarineAquarium3. Both identical names, I believe. But after I did "something" (clicked on one?), one of them went away. Perhaps that's a clue. I would guess that it's some "artifact" of the installer that corrects itself - but perhaps it needs to be kept on the list of reported installer bugs?
Dale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2009, 11:32 AM   #8
Jim Sachs
Developer

It's not the 64-bit nature of Vista64 that's causing trouble - the Aquarium itself runs fine. It's all the idiosyncracies (some apparently undocumented) that MS built into it. The sysWOW folders? And the sysWOW64 folder is the one that's for 32-bit applications? Somebody must be TRYING to make this difficult.

Maybe we just need to skip this little-used OS and go right to Windows 7.
Jim Sachs
Old 02-01-2009, 12:55 PM   #9
Xylem
Registered

Don't dispair, Jim, I'm sure this will work out (and besides I have vista64 ).

After fooling with this awhile I think the problem may be in the installer: the only problem is that MA3 disappears when you change screensavers, but it can be re-installed with the desktop icon.

What I did:
1. uninstall MA2.6 and MA3.
2. clean registry w CCleaner and restart.
3. found entry in HKEY Current User but not in Local Machine (see pics).
4. manually deleted entries.
5. reinstalled MA3.
6. still get "PSerene...." in list (this is odd), and would not autolaunch.
7. checked icon "install" -"PSerene..." disappears and SS works.
8. still does not ask to re-enter keycode, so don't know where that's hiding.
9. don't know about hibernate mode yet, but will check later. It may be a function of my motherboard: it has Asus AI Nap mode, and I don't know if there is a problem with that.

added pic in case they help.

Can't do more today. My wife is making me go to a Superbowl party
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1. hkey user 01.jpg (279.7 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg 2. hkey user 02.jpg (338.7 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg 3. hkey locaal machine- no entries.jpg (274.5 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg 4. after reinstall.jpg (387.0 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg 5. after icon 'install'.jpg (383.7 KB, 16 views)
Old 02-01-2009, 12:56 PM   #10
Xylem
Registered

Additional pics:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 6. after change default SS.jpg (383.3 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg 7. after icon 'install' #2.jpg (382.7 KB, 10 views)
Old 02-01-2009, 01:07 PM   #11
Jim Sachs
Developer

Thanks for all the effort, Xylem!
Jim Sachs
Old 02-01-2009, 02:28 PM   #12
Dale
Banned

Originally posted by Dale:
I thought that was "normal behavior" for MA. I am sure that I have a Vista Ultimate 32 system with MA2.6 that continues to play the "bubble sound" after the monitor is turned off (by the automatic power settings) - at least as long as the computer doesn't go into "standby" or "hibernate". [Perhaps your settings are different, though].

I'll have to test that on MA3 when I get a chance. Or, Jim can tell us what the sound is supposed to do under various conditions.  
I can confirm that on a WXP Pro system with MA3 installed, and the screensaver set to activate at 1 minute, and the monitor to turn off after 2 minutes (and no other power-saving settings), after an hour the bubbles are still merrily burbling in my speakers.

That seems, to me, like normal and expected behavior.

But perhaps Xylem was reporting a different set of conditions?
Old 02-01-2009, 05:20 PM   #13
Jim Sachs
Developer

Well, some new systems (newer than any of mine) have a deeper sleep mode available where they really appear to be dead. I support the normal "Monitor Sleep" and "Hard-Drive Shut-Down" functions which can be set in Display Properties. The program is still running in the background, but should not generate any signals which would wake up the monitor or drives.

This assumes that you have enough RAM. I could imagine situations where the program might need to page textures back and forth to the hard drive if RAM were extremely low. This might be enough system activity to keep the monitor on. I've never tested for low-RAM behavior.
Jim Sachs
Old 02-01-2009, 09:36 PM   #14
Dale
Banned

Just to be clear - what's the anticipated "bubble sound" situation with:

1. Monitor and hard disk turned off, system NOT in standby or hibernate.

2. System in standby.

3. System in hibernate.

I think I know, but wanted to confirm. [1=sound, 2 and 3 no sound?]
Old 02-01-2009, 09:52 PM   #15
Jim Sachs
Developer

Bubble sound is on until you turn it off. I'm not sure what happens in hibernate, because I don't have a machine which does it.
Jim Sachs
Old 02-02-2009, 07:26 AM   #16
jleslie
Engineer

In hibernate the machine is effectively off (CPU powered down) so I'm guessing not much :-)
(Hibernate is the same as mechanically off or soft-off, except there's a bit set to say resume from a hard drive image of DRAM/registers, rather than do a standard boot.)

John
jleslie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 08:12 AM   #17
cjmaddy
Registered

Jim, - in Win2k 'Hibernate' is accessed via Start\Settings\Control Panel\Power options, then 'Enable hibernate support' on the Hibernate tab.
You then get an additional 'Hibernate' option when you press Start\Shut Down... I think XP has something similar.
cjmaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 09:27 AM   #18
Wizwad
Only me...

Yes it does.

And as John said, it saves an image of what was running when the machine was powered down in 'hibernate' mode, then reads that back when powering up again.

If you were watching a film when you powered down, it won't start at the point where it 'died'; and if you had a set of pages you'd visited in a browser, it won't remember the history of that, it'll just pull up the page that was current upon hibernation, but otherwise it'll all be as it was when you powered down.
Mark
-----------
Intel i7 12700K | Aorus Z690 Pro | Corsair DDR5 5600 32GB | Asus Dual RTX3060ti 6GB v2 Mini OC | Corsair RM850 Gold PSU | 1TB NVMe M.2 WD Black SN850 | 4TB Seagate BarraCuda HDD | Corsair Airflow 5000D Case | HP 32QHD 4K Monitor | Windows 11 x64 Professional
Wizwad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 10:44 AM   #19
Jim Sachs
Developer

I'm not at all sure what the Aquarium's behavior would be after coming back to life in a hibernate situation. It gets pretty unhappy if it's been more than .02 seconds since the last frame.
Jim Sachs
Old 02-02-2009, 02:10 PM   #20
Xylem
Registered

Today my machine is back to normal; MA3 runs ok and does not prevent hibernation. BTW, this is a 'suspend to RAM' mode wherein current settings are stored in RAM and then eveything shuts down- HD, fans, lights, etc- and can be instantly resotred to life with the touch of a key/mouse. On Vista 64, at the bottom of the Start menu, there is an on/off icon ( circle with little vertical bar at top) which can instantly activate this state. It will also activate after leaving the comp unattended.

This fucnction was not working with MA3, until I uninstalled MA2.6. Also the odd entries in the SS list window stopped after that, too. Is it certain that MA2 doesn't interfere? In any case I have uninstalled MA2.6 for good; don't need it anyway.

The one problem which remains is that changing the default SS eliminates MA3 from the SS list in display options. It can be reisntated (but only as the default SS) by right clicking the MA3 desktop icon and selecting "install."

I would be interested to know if others have this experience. Also, I wonder if clicking 'install' also activates an install of some sort for MA2.6 which would account for the odd SS list entries?

But, anyway, just to narrow the issue down: it is the problem of changing default Screensavers.

I was rooting for the Cardinals
Go Back   Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum > SereneScreen Products > Marine Aquarium 3 for Windows