Home Register Arcade Gallery Chatroom Members Today's Posts Log In
Go Back   Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum > SereneScreen Products > Marine Aquarium 3 for Windows > Marine Aquarium 2 for Windows Archive
Notices

Old 03-31-2002, 12:31 PM   #181
feldon34
Forum Administrator

You've got it.
"Journalism is printing what someone else does not want printed. Everything else is public relations." - George Orwell
"If voting changed anything, they'd make it illegal." - Emma Goldman
feldon34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2002, 12:53 PM   #182
Jav400
Administrator

22 Highscores

CephaloP,

Yep thats it. Look through the listings and deceide how much money you want to spend. I run a GF2 Ultra, and I get about 120fps @ 1600x1200 on the aquarium. That card lists for $150 now, when I got mine about a year ago I paid $250. Prices are always dropping. The best thing that you can do is just pick one and jump in. The MX 400 is worth the extra $$$, the next step up would be the GF2 Pro which would give you faster clock speeds and higher fps for that card when running programs. Of course its about 2x the price of the MX also.
Jav400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2002, 11:29 PM   #183
patscarr
Pet Shark

1 Highscore

On the FAQ it says something about the SSA using 100% of CPU. How can I find out how much of my CPU the SSA is using?
Patrick
patscarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2002, 01:21 AM   #184
feldon34
Forum Administrator

Under Windows 2000 or XP,

press Ctrl-Alt-Del and bring up Task Manager. Go to the next page and see what CPU it is using.
"Journalism is printing what someone else does not want printed. Everything else is public relations." - George Orwell
Old 04-06-2002, 01:42 AM   #185
patscarr
Pet Shark

1 Highscore

I'm using ME, so this is not available?
Patrick
Old 04-06-2002, 02:45 AM   #186
Tiny Turtle
is pleased

27 Highscores

Nope (sorry)
Tiny Turtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2002, 03:01 AM   #187
patscarr
Pet Shark

1 Highscore

Man, I've got to upgrade soon!
Patrick
Old 04-06-2002, 03:34 AM   #188
feldon34
Forum Administrator

to 2000 hopefully.
Old 04-06-2002, 04:39 AM   #189
Lightfeather

I don't know if this is the same thing, but I have a resource meter. Win98 SE. I can't remember if ME would have it too or if it does the same thing as the little line graph in XP but it is located under Start \ Programs \ Accessories \ System Tools \ Resource Meter

If you don't have it try going to Start \ Settings \ Control Panel \

Then launch Add\Remove programs and click the 'Windows Setup' Tab. Scroll down and click 'System Tools' to highlight it and then hit the 'Details' button. Somewhere in there is the resource meter and it has three bars that will tell you the percentage of system, user and GDI resources available.

You may need to insert your OS disk to install it. I am pretty sure every OS comes with some form of a resource monitor. I don't think ME was left out.
Experience is what you get when you don't get what you want.
Lightfeather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2002, 08:34 AM   #190
patscarr
Pet Shark

1 Highscore

Yeah, I have that resource monitor, but can't seem to configure it to measure the SSA.
Patrick
Old 04-06-2002, 12:01 PM   #191
feldon34
Forum Administrator

Run the Aquarium in a window alongside resource monitor. Your cpu will be pegged at 100%.
Old 04-06-2002, 03:20 PM   #192
Bob
Registered

Run it on dual cpu's and you only get 50%. :-)
Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2002, 04:34 PM   #193
feldon34
Forum Administrator

Hopefully in the translation to DirectX 7, Will will find out why it's pegging the CPU to 100%. I'd like to run the Aquarium all the time, but not with my CPU running 10 degrees north of normal.

I run it when I want to show it to people or when I need soothing, calming, imagery.

At least, that's how I voted on the "Screen Saver or As A Program?" poll. If there is enough interest, I'll convert this to a vBulletin poll so people can vote again (Right now, you can only read the results).
Old 04-07-2002, 06:30 AM   #194
patscarr
Pet Shark

1 Highscore

Ah, yes, I see that now, 100%, hmmm, and I've been running SSA almost all the time, maybe I should cut back a little until after the DX7 upgrade, in the meantime I could always run Seti@home, or better yet, Mopy, Ahahaha!
Patrick
Old 04-07-2002, 07:52 PM   #195
Jav400
Administrator

22 Highscores

Well I am one of the people who run 24/7, and have since I started here. Thats been, hmmmm, headed for 2 years now. So far, no problems with anything. I have added an extra fan since I upgraded my CPU and my video card, but thats about it.
Jav400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2002, 09:06 AM   #196
SunKing
Registered

In my experience, almost every 3D screensaver I've seen used 100% of the CPU. Even the simple 3D text or 3d pipe programs that come with Windows use 100% of the CPU.
SunKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2002, 12:47 PM   #197
CephaloP
lurking in the shadows...

Well, I ordered that GeForce 2 from that website you pointed me to, Jav. It came yesterday, I cracked open my pc, and the piece of shite wouldn't even fit in there! I called Gateway technical support and all they said is "You didn't buy it from us, there's nothing we can tell you" Does anyone know gateways and which graphics cards are compatible with 'em? Or is there some way to, I dunno, make the bugger fit?
CephaloP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2002, 01:58 PM   #198
SunKing
Registered

So...ummm...you went out and bought a video card before even looking inside your PC to see what kind would fit? I don't mean to make fun of you dude - but that's kinda like going out and buying tires for your car without knowing what size.

...hehehe - I imagine the tech support people at Gateway got a good laugh.

Last edited by SunKing; 04-11-2002 at 02:04 PM.
SunKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2002, 02:42 PM   #199
feldon34
Forum Administrator

Folks, it is VERY important to check with someone on how old their computer is before you recommend a card!

Someone e-mailed me that he had an ATI Mach64 video card and he had gone back and forth with the overworked SereneScreen support a couple times trying to get the right drivers to get the Aquarium to work. Somehow the question got missed of how old the card + computer are. He assumed that because it works in his wife's brand new office computer, it would work on the computer at home.

The Mach64 card is 7 years old, and the computer is 5 years old. The whole computer needs to be replaced to run the Aquarium!

CephaloP,

If your computer does not have an AGP video card slot, you will have a tough time finding a video card as decent 3D PCI-type cards have not been made in a few years. Sorry to hear about what happened. If it's any consolation, you could multiply the speed of your computer by about 10 times AND add a 3D video card for about $30.

I am talking a new $40 case, $72 Athlon motherboard, $75 1200 MHz cpu, CPU fan, 256 MB RAM for $45, and GeForce 2 MX video card for $45.

SunKing,

This is not the venue to make fun of people. We provide tech support to people here on the forum and in the chatroom and thus a certain level of respect is expected. What we say here on the forum and how we actually feel may differ. You'll notice I let Michael answer some of the questions/comments here on the forum. He does the PR spin I sometimes can't bring myself to do.

Visitors should realize that this is not a free-for-all, but it is also not the official tech support forum. We fall somewhere in between. Let's try to find a better center point.

Last edited by feldon34; 04-11-2002 at 02:54 PM.
Old 04-11-2002, 03:33 PM   #200
Tiny Turtle
is pleased

27 Highscores

Possible solution:

CephaloP, Is your problem that your comp only has PCI slots and no AGP ditos or simply that the card won't physically fit inside your case?

In case it's the slot problem, and you can get a refund on the first card, I know of at least one "Decent 3D card" using the PCI slot. Namely the PNY Verto GeForce MX400 PCI. If you went with what your previous post indicated this card uses the same graphics chip as the card you already bought. No TV-out though, but there might be other cards out there for us to find if this feature is important to you. The Performance drop shouldn't be to large with the move from AGP to PCI (especially in the Aquarium). The same guys also make a MX200-based and a TNT2-M64-based card but I'd go with the 400-version any day of the week.

PNY's main video card page can be found using the following address: http://www.pny.com/home/products/vcard_index.cfm

Couldn't you tell us the specs on your Comp (Processor/MHz/OS/Gateway model)? Perhaps we could find some other possible problems out this way. Choose "Run" in your Start-menu and type dxdiag before pressing Enter. This brings up a window with lots of info.

/Calle

P.S.
32 or 64 MB of RAM makes no difference on a MX400-based card (at least not for you or me) if you manage to find other PCI cards.
Tiny Turtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum > SereneScreen Products > Marine Aquarium 3 for Windows > Marine Aquarium 2 for Windows Archive