Home Register Arcade Gallery Chatroom Members Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Log In
Go Back   Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum > SereneScreen Products > Marine Aquarium 3 for Windows
Notices

Old 11-24-2008, 02:07 PM   #81
feldon34
Forum Administrator

jedware,

Are you on Vista? I'm guessing Windows Vista might not grant permission to the Aquarium to scan/read other files in the System32 folder.

I'm guessing that the final resting place for the logos will be C:\Program Files\SereneScreen\Marine Aquarium 3\Logos\
"Journalism is printing what someone else does not want printed. Everything else is public relations." - George Orwell
"If voting changed anything, they'd make it illegal." - Emma Goldman
feldon34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2008, 04:30 PM   #82
jedware
Registered

Originally posted by feldon32:
jedware,

Are you on Vista? I'm guessing Windows Vista might not grant permission to the Aquarium to scan/read other files in the System32 folder.

I'm guessing that the final resting place for the logos will be C:\Program Files\SereneScreen\Marine Aquarium 3\Logos\  

I am not using Vista. I am using Windows XP Pro SP3 (32-bit) using dual monitors.

I guessed the final resting place would be outside the windows directory so I guess I will have to wait for that change. The logos worked fine in 2.6 so hopefully the completion of this code makes it work for me.

(New) I just realized something, a previous poster issued the same problem. It appears if you run the MA3Beta.scr by clicking the file within the windows directory or any directory it works but running from the screensaver dialog it doesn't. This implies some sort of bug.
jedware is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2008, 04:55 PM   #83
Jim Sachs
Developer

The PNG file has to be in the same directory as the copy of MA that you are running. If you keep it on the Desktop (as I do so that I can just click it anytime I want), then the PNG file would also have to be on the desktop. If you've dragged MA to a System folder so that it will show up on the list of screensavers, then the PNG file will need to be there, too.

If you are looking for it in the tiny Preview window in the Display Properties sheet, it won't be there.
Jim Sachs
Creator of SereneScreen Aquarium
Jim Sachs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2008, 05:01 PM   #84
cjmaddy
Registered

Jedware,
Right click on the MA3Beta.scr file, then click 'Install'. - Serenscreen Marine Aquarium 3 should then be in Windows/Display Properties/Screen Saver
Place your logo, (renamed to be SSLogo256d.png), and place it in WINNT\System32 (or wherever), you may also have to re-boot. Then press the 'L' key.
For a 'picture', (not a special logo), it doesn't appear to matter what size or type the file is, (...within reason), just rename it SSLogo256d.png

ps. Sorry, Jim. - I hadn't seen your post when I entered mine...
btw. - It should be in the Preview window in the Display Properties sheet, if you do as I said above, - mine is!
cjmaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2008, 05:01 PM   #85
jedware
Registered

Originally posted by Jim Sachs:
The PNG file has to be in the same directory as the copy of MA that you are running. If you keep it on the Desktop (as I do so that I can just click it anytime I want), then the PNG file would also have to be on the desktop. If you've dragged MA to a System folder so that it will show up on the list of screensavers, then the PNG file will need to be there, too.

If you are looking for it in the tiny Preview window in the Display Properties sheet, it won't be there.  
I have the correct files in both locations. I am not looking at the preview window but rather in full screen. If you start the screen saver by pressing preview on the screen saver tab the logo switch does not work with all correct files in place. If you go to the directory and click on the MA3Beta file then it works. Hope that clears it up.
Old 11-24-2008, 05:24 PM   #86
cjmaddy
Registered

Originally posted by jedware:
.... If you start the screen saver by pressing preview on the screen saver tab the logo switch does not work with all correct files in place. If you go to the directory and click on the MA3Beta file then it works.  
That was corrected here... https://www.feldoncentral.com/forums...97&#post107797

.... Are you using the latest Beta7e ?
Old 11-24-2008, 05:30 PM   #87
feldon34
Forum Administrator

I thought logo switch was introduced in 7e.
"Journalism is printing what someone else does not want printed. Everything else is public relations." - George Orwell
"If voting changed anything, they'd make it illegal." - Emma Goldman
feldon34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2008, 05:34 PM   #88
jedware
Registered

Originally posted by cjmaddy:
That was corrected here... https://www.feldoncentral.com/forums...97&#post107797

.... Are you using the latest Beta7e ?  
I am using Beta 7e (At least that is what is says on the screen)

Version SB24.3.0.1453
Old 11-24-2008, 05:39 PM   #89
cjmaddy
Registered

Well then, if you do what I said, it should work by pressing Preview on the screen saver tab.
Old 11-24-2008, 05:49 PM   #90
Dale
Banned

Morgan (feldon32) runs the Forum, and is the expert on how to get data uploaded.

As far as the actual MA3 program is concerned, PNG files will be necessary to be used as logos. The size is 256x256 pixels. Try not to too close to the edges.

I just uploaded Beta 7e. Besides the program itself, the ZIP file contains a logo file called SSLogo256d.png. You can use this as an example.  
It would be really really nice if the "Marine Aquarium 3 Beta RELEASE & DOWNLOAD" at https://www.feldoncentral.com/forums...ead.php?t=4385 had some clue that 7e might be at the "regular" download location.

OR PERHAPS there could be some easy way to quickly tell (from just the index page at https://www.feldoncentral.com/forums...splay.php?f=46 ... Marine Aquarium 3 Beta Test Forum ... what is the latest version, so we don't have to always read every thread, even if we don't have a "problem".

Thanks
Dale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2008, 05:53 PM   #91
jedware
Registered

Originally posted by cjmaddy:
Well then, if you do what I said, it should work by pressing Preview on the screen saver tab.  
It's not. Given there is at least one other poster that had the same problem then it must not be isolated to me.

What OS are you running?

I did follow your instructions and the same result.
Old 11-24-2008, 05:53 PM   #92
Jim Sachs
Developer

When I say that it won't show up in the tiny Preview window in Display Properties, I don't mean the big window that opens up when you press the Preview button, but the tiny uh, well...I don't know what else to call it but what Microsoft calls it in all their code, the Preview Window. The little bitty TV-screen window that took all those weeks to get working.

Another possible point of confusion: I'm not sure if all Microsoft operating systems behave this way, but on all the ones I use, right-clicking the icon and using Install does not actually copy anything to the System directory. It just gives Windows a pointer to the current location of the file. That's why changing the current sceensaver will remove MA from the list until it is actually copied into the proper system drawer.

Regarding the download location: Michael has been keeping a repository of previous versions, but the latest Beta can always be downloaded at http://www.fish-byte.com/MA3Beta.zip .
Jim Sachs
Old 11-24-2008, 06:02 PM   #93
jroseone
Registered

All the logos I made work fine, some have to be sized down to fit on the crystal without getting chopped by it's cut edges.

Since they are .png files they can all be turned down to 80% opacity to make up for the lack of auto transparency in MA3.

Great Work as always Jim!

Here is a sample pic... Gotta Go The Rangers Are On!
Attached Images
File Type: png NYR.png (131.9 KB, 22 views)
jroseone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2008, 06:17 PM   #94
jedware
Registered

When I say that it won't show up in the tiny Preview window in Display Properties, I don't mean the big window that opens up when you press the Preview button, but the tiny uh, well...I don't know what else to call it but what Microsoft calls it in all their code, the Preview Window. The little bitty TV-screen window that took all those weeks to get working.

Another possible point of confusion: I'm not sure if all Microsoft operating systems behave this way, but on all the ones I use, right-clicking the icon and using Install does not actually copy anything to the System directory. It just gives Windows a pointer to the current location of the file. That's why changing the current sceensaver will remove MA from the list until it is actually copied into the proper system drawer.

Regarding the download location: Michael has been keeping a repository of previous versions, but the latest Beta can always be downloaded at http://www.fish-byte.com/MA3Beta.zip .  
Another piece of information. If I right click and say install and when the dialog comes do a preview then the "L" key works (much like lauching directly). If I close the dialog and then re-open for another preview it does not work.

PS Rebooting has no effect. I even removed all MA3Beta.scr entries in the registry and tried a clean try with the same result. I will test on more XP machines to see what I discover.
Old 11-24-2008, 06:43 PM   #95
cjmaddy
Registered

Are we talking about the crystal check box working (or not working), or are we discussing the 'L' key?

I am referring to the crystal not being able to be added or removed via the screen saver tab in Display Properties. The Show Crystal check box did not work, - but this was corrected, as I said, in 7e.

I was also referring to the fact that MA3 and the crystal are shown in the Preview Window of the screen saver tab. AFTER MA3Beta.scr HAS BEEN 'INSTALLED'.

As you say, - after an 'Install' and when the dialog comes up, do a preview and the "L" key works.

I was unaware that if you close the dialog and then re-open for another preview, it does not then work.
Old 11-24-2008, 07:28 PM   #96
Jim Sachs
Developer

jedware - I can't seem to duplicate that. The steps I'm using were these on XP:
Copy MA3Beta.scr and SSLogo256d.png to Windows/System32.
Right-click the MA3 icon in that directory.
Hit Preview. The L key works as intended.
Exit the requester by pressing Cancel, and start it again.
Exit the requester by pressing OK, and start it again.
Repeat until I get bored.
Jim Sachs
Old 11-24-2008, 07:32 PM   #97
cjmaddy
Registered

I'm going to bed. - (01:32am) - Night, night!
Old 11-24-2008, 09:07 PM   #98
jedware
Registered

jedware - I can't seem to duplicate that. The steps I'm using were these on XP:
Copy MA3Beta.scr and SSLogo256d.png to Windows/System32.
Right-click the MA3 icon in that directory.
Exit the requester by pressing Cancel, and start it again.
Exit the requester by pressing OK, and start it again.
Repeat until I get bored.  
I am not copying to the Windows/System32 directory but rather I used the just the Windows Directory. I don't think this matters though.

Reading through your steps this statement stands out:
Right-click the MA3 icon in that directory. Hit Preview.

I don't have a preview option when I right-Click the MA3. I have Test, Configure, and Install.

If I do "Test" it DOES work. But this is equivalent to double-clicking the MA3 executeable.

To replicate what I am doing either do one of the three ways:

1. right-click on your desktop and select properties and go to the screen saver tab and select preview.

2. Goto Control Panel -> display then select screen saver tab and preview

3. Just wait a while and let the screen saver automatically start

The "L" key does not work in any of these cases.

I have replicated same behaviour on my other computers so I am pretty sure this is a problem for XP machines.
Old 11-24-2008, 09:39 PM   #99
Jim Sachs
Developer

I thought from your previous message that, "If I close the dialog and then re-open for another preview it does not work."

But in your latest message it appears that the problem occurs when you let the program automatically start as a screen saver.

When it automatically starts, it would be using the last copy which was "Installed" which could be anywhere on your machine. Even so, if there is a copy of the PNG file in that same directory, it should find it.

Regarding not putting a copy in the System32 directory, why not? As far as I know, all versions of Windows from Win95 through XP have stored their screensavers there. Vista has that ridiculous SysWOW64 system, which causes all kinds of problems, but I've never had any trouble with XP.

If anyone else here has the same problem, I can make a special version with some diagnostic text on the screen. Something like, "I live in the Downloads directory, and there's no PNG file here!"
Jim Sachs
Old 11-24-2008, 10:23 PM   #100
jedware
Registered

I thought from your previous message that, "If I close the dialog and then re-open for another preview it does not work."
Sorry if I wasn't clear, but that was when right-clicking the MA3 and using the "Install" option to bring up the screen saver tab.

When it automatically starts, it would be using the last copy which was "Installed" which could be anywhere on your machine. Even so, if there is a copy of the PNG file in that same directory, it should find it.
I have no other copies on my HD. I have cleaned the registry as well and there is no other place to point.

Regarding not putting a copy in the System32 directory, why not?
Because I am lazy. I tested under system32 and still yielded the same results. I just have in windows because that is one less directory to drill down each time I install a new beta.
Go Back   Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum > SereneScreen Products > Marine Aquarium 3 for Windows