Home Register Arcade Gallery Chatroom Members Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Log In
Go Back   Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum > SereneScreen Products > Marine Aquarium 3 for Windows > Marine Aquarium 2 for Windows Archive
Notices

Old 03-06-2006, 10:59 PM   #1
fred@
Registered

Linux

Hi,
I recently have switched from Windows to Gentoo Linux, and I was wondering if there was ever going to be a version of MA for linux? I really like the screensaver and I am sad that I will no longer be able to use it. I would be really happy if a version was produvced that I could use. Thank you and I will be missing those awsome fish on my desktop.
fred@ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2006, 12:56 AM   #2
Tiny Turtle
is pleased

27 Highscores

The problem with spending money developing a Linux version is that Linux users seem to expect Linux software to be free. Hardly an interesting incitament. Mac users on the other hand are significantly more prone to paying for their software, making the development of a Mac version more interesting.

Sorry.
Thanks to Morgan, Tiny Snapshots is up and running again with "Tiny Järvafält" as the latest addition – Go have a look and tell me what you think.

"We knew the world would not be the same. A few people laughed, a few people cried, most people were silent.
I remembered the line from the Hindu scripture, the Bhagavad-Gita. Vishnu is trying to persuade the Prince that he should do his duty and to impress him takes on his multi-armed form and says,
'Now, I am become Death, the destroyer of worlds.'
I suppose we all thought that, one way or another.
" /Robert Oppenheimer on witnessing the first thermonuclear detonation in history.
Tiny Turtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2006, 01:12 AM   #3
fred@
Registered

What about allowing those who already have paid for the Windows version get the Linux one for free? Im sure that if enough Linux users saw how awsome this screensaver is, they might be willing to fork over the money. I know that I would if it came right down to it.
fred@ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2006, 01:27 AM   #4
Jim Sachs
Developer

Definitely not worth the effort. The entire program is built on DirectX, which is part of the Microsoft operating system. Virtually every line of code would have to be re-written, all for a few potential customers. I've already been down that road with the Amiga, and plan to stick with the broad-based systems from now on.
Jim Sachs
Creator of SereneScreen Aquarium
Jim Sachs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2006, 12:56 PM   #5
Sergiales
Software Engineer

Wine?

Have you tried Wine? I've not tested it, but you could give it a try.
http://www.winehq.com/
http://directxwine.sourceforge.net/
http://www.linux-gamers.net/modules/...hp?storyid=846
Sincerely,
Sergio.
Sergiales is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum > SereneScreen Products > Marine Aquarium 3 for Windows > Marine Aquarium 2 for Windows Archive