Home Register Arcade Gallery Chatroom Members Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Log In
Go Back   Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum > SereneScreen Products > Marine Aquarium 3 for Windows > Marine Aquarium 2 for Windows Archive
Notices

Old 12-16-2001, 07:41 AM   #1
ekotan
Registered

400 fps at 1024x768

I've been using the Aquarium ever since it was first released, first on a GeForce 256 DDR, then on various ATI and NVIDIA accelerators up to the GeForce3 (which was giving me 200+ fps). I've just upgraded to an Athlon XP 1900+ CPU on a KT266A chipset and an ATI Radeon 8500. I'm now getting 403 fps at my default resolution of 1024x768. I have a digital flat panel display, so I can't try at any higher resolutions.

It's amazing how fast PC hardware is progressing...
---
The best friend money can buy
ekotan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2001, 09:05 AM   #2
HellBound
Registered

;p now why would u want it going at 400 fps. After going 30fps any fast doesn't really make a differince that u can see. I get 42fps on my old 16mb video card but I'am getting a geforce 2 in 1 week alogn with more ram.
HellBound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2001, 10:16 AM   #3
feldon34
Forum Administrator

It is a common myth that you can't see more than 30fps. In fact, humans can easily see differences as high as 80fps.
"Journalism is printing what someone else does not want printed. Everything else is public relations." - George Orwell
"If voting changed anything, they'd make it illegal." - Emma Goldman
feldon34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2001, 10:39 AM   #4
pipeta
Royal Gramma

I personally can see the difference between 30fps and 60 fps but I can't see any difference between 80 and 60 (and I don't have bad eyesight or anything).
In 30 fps you can see everything very good and clear the difference between 30 and 60fps is only that 60fps seems smoother.
pipeta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2001, 04:44 PM   #5
ekotan
Registered

Smile

I don't really want to get it going at 400 FPS. I was just making an observation on how fast PC hardware is progressing. When I first ran the Aquarium some months ago, a 300 MHz Pentium-II with a GeForce 256 SDR was considered state of the art. I remember how excited I was to see the Aquarium running at 30 fps for the first time.

Personally, I can see a difference in responsiveness between 30 and 60 fps, but can't see any difference between 60 fps or higher...

The extra performance means I can turn on SmoothVision and make my games look prettier without slowing down beyond the magic 60 fps mark. Of course, the Aquarium looks worse when HSAA is on...

E@
---
Old 12-17-2001, 07:33 PM   #6
dolemite
Registered

hmmmm...

wouldn't you have to have a monitor that is capable of 400 hz as well? I think so. And as far as I know, there aren't many... Especially flat panels.
dolemite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2001, 09:40 PM   #7
Jav400
Administrator

22 Highscores

Basically for me, I have always ran at a high res. namely 1600x1200. I hate scrolling!! When I look at a page or something I want to be able to see the whole thing without having to move up and down or left and right. With the GF2 Ultra I have installed I get about 150-155 fps or so at that res. I agree that after a certain point, ( way below this ) I can't tell any difference either. But the one thing I do take consolation in, is the fact that I am comfortable with knowing that whatever graphics, new features, or new creatures Jim throws at me, I will be able to run them to their full potential.
Jav400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2001, 06:46 AM   #8
HellBound
Registered

Originally posted by Jav400
Basically for me, I have always ran at a high res. namely 1600x1200. I hate scrolling!! When I look at a page or something I want to be able to see the whole thing without having to move up and down or left and right. With the GF2 Ultra I have installed I get about 150-155 fps or so at that res. I agree that after a certain point, ( way below this ) I can't tell any difference either. But the one thing I do take consolation in, is the fact that I am comfortable with knowing that whatever graphics, new features, or new creatures Jim throws at me, I will be able to run them to their full potential.
U should get a flat panel screen that turns side ways so u can see the whole web page without scrolling at 800x600 . I'am sure ur video card would support it.
HellBound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2001, 02:36 PM   #9
ekotan
Registered

If you turn off VSYNC (most graphics card driver control panels allow this), then you can see the true FPS your PC is calculating.

For normal viewing, it's pointless to run it above your monitor's refresh rate, but I use it to find out if everything is still in order after a reinstall or driver update. It's a useful yardstick.

If I don't install the chipset AGP drivers for example, my frame rate is halved.

E@
---
Old 12-21-2001, 10:06 AM   #10
pipeta
Royal Gramma

Your monitor is probably set to 75Mhz. It depends on the monitor but mine runs best on 60Mhz (otherwise it overheats) but try setting your monitor to higher speeds (but make sure it doesn't overheat or make strange sounds).
Go to My Computer-->Control Panel-->Display Properties, there select the 'settings' tab and there select the 'advanced' button. There select the 'monitor' tab and in the "Monitor Settings" change your Screen refresh rate.
pipeta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2001, 10:29 AM   #11
nicksteel
Registered

Sorry, made mistakes on previous post.

I'm running Windows 98SE on a PIII 750 with 128 MB and Radeon 32 MB DDR video card with a SUN 21" flatscreen set to 75 MHZ (monitor is rated at 1600x1200 at 75MHZ).

The screensaver is running at ** 37fps **

I am running latest DirectX 8.1 and Ati driver 4.13.7189
VSYNC is off
Tried DXDIAG set to overide of 75 (no effect)
Tried control panel setting of "optimal" and 75 (no effect)
Tried 16 and 32 true color (no effect)

Should I regress to DirectX 6 and an earlier driver?
nicksteel is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum > SereneScreen Products > Marine Aquarium 3 for Windows > Marine Aquarium 2 for Windows Archive