Home Register Arcade Gallery Chatroom Members Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Log In
Go Back   Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum > SereneScreen Products > Marine Aquarium 3 for Windows > Marine Aquarium 2 for Windows Archive
Notices

Old 01-06-2002, 11:32 AM   #121
nicksteel
Registered

Thanks, Jim.

I'm corresponding with your guys to get the key code. I am having minor problem remembering which country I was in at the time and which internet provider/email address I was using. I was in either Houston, Saudi Arabia or Canada at the time. I'm sure it'll work itself out. If the Healey is ever completed, will bring it by.
nicksteel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2002, 07:08 PM   #122
sonnypf
Registered

Cool Help Capture Conflict

I'm using asus 7700 card with TV tuner, everytime I start aquarium the capture card would say "could not open video port", and the capture software would just exit
(And amazingly the aquarium always wins, no matter which start sequence )
sonnypf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2002, 03:41 PM   #123
nicksteel
Registered

Cool Slow Startup

I'm running a PIII 750 with 128 MB and Radeon 32 MB DDR video card with a SUN 21" flatscreen set to 75 MHZ.

@ 1600x1200. my frame rate was 39 after dxdiag reset to 75 and setting vsync off.

Having had many recent display problems, I reloaded Windows 98se, 8.1 and the latest ATI drivers.

After resetting the display from 1600x1200 to 1280x1024, the screensaver "froze" in a small blank window. I left the machine alone, and after some 10 or 15 minutes, the screen flooded the desktop and ran perfectly. Since then, no delay has been experienced, my fps is up to 59 now and the screensaver is running very smoothly.

I'm very pleased with the screensaver, but has anyone else had a similiar experience?
nicksteel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2002, 04:17 AM   #124
Tiny Turtle
is pleased

27 Highscores

G200 or Riva 128ZX

Which video card would you choose for a PIII-450/256MB/WinXP?

nVidia Riva 128ZX (8 MB) or Matrox G200 Millennium (8 MB)

I'm putting together a second system and can't decide which card is the better for this combo. Various posts on the web claim that the Riva128ZX doesn't get along at all with XP. I'd like to know if I could make it run better than now (.66 fps) or if it's a lost cause and I should move over to the Matrox...

/Calle
Tiny Turtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2002, 04:42 AM   #125
Yellow Tang
YT

Tournaments Won: 1

Tiny Turtle:

I hava a PIII-700/250MB/Win2000 with a Matrox G200 (16MB):

38 fps at 1024 x 768 (without bubbles)
25 fps at 1024 x 768 (with bubbles)

The quality is not so good as with my geforce mx (other system), but ok.
Yellow Tang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2002, 09:50 AM   #126
pipeta
Royal Gramma

I posted about this problem in the whishlist by mistake and got an suggestion from Digital Lungfish which didn't work. If anyone missed it please read this message because I can hardly use the screen saver or any other DirectX program:

My monitor started changing my refresh rate automatically every time I use the aquarium or any other DirecX program (games, etc.). I am using 1024x768x16 and 60\85 Hertz refresh rate. Every time I open the aquarium the resolution reains 1024x768x16 but the refresh rate changes to 75 Hertz. I never encountered this problem before and I haven't done any major changes in my OS lately, it just suddenly started happening. I don't want to use 75Hertz because my monitor starts making a whistle sound (don't know why but it can't be good and it hurts my ears like hell!) when I use 75 Hertz.
I am using WinXP, MAG innovision monitor (don't know what type exactly) and a RIVA TNT 2 32mb graphics card.
I tried to solve the problem by downloading the DX8.1 installer from MicroSoft's website (I can't find a way to reinstall DX from the CD). The program started and without doing anything it said 'installation completed successfully' (did nothing just identified I already have DX I guess). I can't find a way to force it to reinstall.
I tried using a program called 'Power Strip' but couldn't find any feature which changes my DirectX resolution. It is supposed to be able to automatically change resolution when you start a program but that feature didn't work successfully.

PLEASE! ANY SUGGESTIONS? I AM RUNNING OUT OF IDEAS :-(
Thanks
pipeta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2002, 12:09 PM   #127
feldon34
Forum Administrator

Sounds like you need NVMax or some other tool to lock your video card at 60 Hz until you can get another monitor (60 Hz, ouch, I'm getting a headache already!)

http://www.tweak2.dk/tweaks/NVmax3.00.72beta.exe
"Journalism is printing what someone else does not want printed. Everything else is public relations." - George Orwell
"If voting changed anything, they'd make it illegal." - Emma Goldman
feldon34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2002, 02:57 AM   #128
Digital Lungfish
Obey the toad!

Exclamation

pipeta,

Didn't work eh? Well, I suppose you can try to use a DirectX uninstaller. Then reinstall DirectX again after that. Here's a couple of links to uninstallers:

http://www.geocities.com/firecat182/

http://www.directxbuster.de/index_e.html

The uninstaller at the second link might yield better results, but feel free to try either one. By the way, when you installed XP, did it properly detect which type of monitor you have?

- DL
Digital Lungfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2002, 06:36 AM   #129
pipeta
Royal Gramma

Not really, my monitor is generally detected as 'Plug & Play Monitor', but the problem started a few months after I installed WinXP so I don't think that's the problem (I have a MAG Innovision, don't know exactly what model, not mentioned on the sticker on the monitor's back for some reason).
Thanks I will try both suggestions and report what happens.
My monitor works perfectly with 60Hz AND 85Hz (not just 60) but I don't have any problem with 60 anyway. I can't see the difference.

Last edited by pipeta; 01-16-2002 at 06:41 AM.
Old 01-16-2002, 10:43 AM   #130
pipeta
Royal Gramma

Nothing helped! The first link to the DirectX uninstaller didn't work. The other one links to an uninstaller that doesnot support DX8.1 on WinXP yet (I will try gong there again when it updates).
NVmax has a screen resolution menu but it reports my current screen resolution (85Hz) and not the DX resolution 75Hz.
Please keep new ideas coming.
Old 01-16-2002, 01:56 PM   #131
Digital Lungfish
Obey the toad!

You mentioned the fact that you had used PowerStrip to try to resolve your problem, but you didn't have any luck. Well, what you can do at the very least is use PowerStrip to detect your monitor's model # and that will give you the information you need to get the right driver for it from MAG Innovision.

The driver that XP has assigned to your monitor includes a standard set of refresh rates and resolutions, some of which may not be supported by your monitor. While I cannot guarantee that this will fix your problem, I can speak from personal experience. In the past, Win98 was known for changing my monitor's drivers from those I supplied to a generic PnP set which played havoc with my refresh rates and vSync, thankfully XP detected and installed the correct drivers for my monitor. This may or may not help, but as I said, at the very least you're monitor will be using the refresh rates and resolutions it is meant to. This is just one way to help narrow things down a bit.

- DL

Last edited by Digital Lungfish; 01-16-2002 at 02:11 PM.
Digital Lungfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2002, 03:54 PM   #132
pipeta
Royal Gramma

Angry

Thanks, seems like the final possible resort (I'm surprised I haven't thought of it, power strip did recognize my monitor).
I will try it, thanks!
Old 01-18-2002, 07:49 PM   #133
ponyboy
Registered

Cool Hardware help!

After installing MS Plus! XP I discovered I could not run SS with my current video card (ATI All-In-Wonder Pro, 8 meg on board). Good reason I thought to upgrade! So I bought the ATI A-I-W Radeon, 32meg). Looks great but with the three fish loaded, I am getting the "jerky fish jive"! Is my card or system not fast enough for this program or is their some compatibility problem? System: Intel PIII-750MHz, 768 meg RAM, Windows XP, and the RADEON card on a 21" monitor at 1024x768x16. ( I have loaded the latest drivers for the motherboard and video card).

P.S. - How does one determine your frame rate? I see them listed everywhere thoughout these messages?
ponyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2002, 08:33 PM   #134
asprague
Regal Angel

ponyboy,

Hit the letter S. Look in the upper left-hand corner. It will provide you with much info including the fps.

Arnold
asprague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2002, 06:45 PM   #135
HellBound
Registered

Re: Hardware help!

Originally posted by ponyboy
After installing MS Plus! XP I discovered I could not run SS with my current video card (ATI All-In-Wonder Pro, 8 meg on board). Good reason I thought to upgrade! So I bought the ATI A-I-W Radeon, 32meg). Looks great but with the three fish loaded, I am getting the "jerky fish jive"! Is my card or system not fast enough for this program or is their some compatibility problem? System: Intel PIII-750MHz, 768 meg RAM, Windows XP, and the RADEON card on a 21" monitor at 1024x768x16. ( I have loaded the latest drivers for the motherboard and video card).

P.S. - How does one determine your frame rate? I see them listed everywhere thoughout these messages?
The fact that u have 768mb of ram is the problem. Anything over 510mbram slows down the system . The fact that u have 760mb of ram means ur system is probably down to a crawl at this point.take out ram until u get down to 510mb of ram. Take back the extra ram that u jsut took out or sell it and get urself a new processor. Now u don't have to get a new processor or anything new but defintly no matter wut take out some ram until u get down to 510mbram.
HellBound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2002, 09:07 PM   #136
feldon34
Forum Administrator

HellBound,

You obviously don't know a whole heck of a lot about computers.

Windows 2000 and XP are designed to run with up to 4,096 MB of RAM.

How do you think servers run with only 512MB?

I have 640MB of RAM right now.

ponyboy,

just curious why you got Plus XP if you already had the full 20 fish version of the Aquarium?

It does sound like you need a different set of video drivers. Also, how many background programs do you have running? I'd check to see if one of those is the hold-up.
"Journalism is printing what someone else does not want printed. Everything else is public relations." - George Orwell
"If voting changed anything, they'd make it illegal." - Emma Goldman
feldon34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2002, 10:43 PM   #137
HellBound
Registered

Originally posted by feldon23
HellBound,

You obviously don't know a whole heck of a lot about computers.

Windows 2000 and XP are designed to run with up to 4,096 MB of RAM.

How do you think servers run with only 512MB?

I have 640MB of RAM right now.

ponyboy,

just curious why you got Plus XP if you already had the full 20 fish version of the Aquarium?

It does sound like you need a different set of video drivers. Also, how many background programs do you have running? I'd check to see if one of those is the hold-up.
I wasn't talking about the OS not handling it. Any tech will tell u anything over 510mb of ram slows the processor down. Ask any techy.
HellBound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2002, 10:59 PM   #138
ESHIREY
Smilie Dragon

I don't know about that . My cousin is a tech and he also has his own system at home (P4 1.7 ) with a gig of ram and his system smokes ...... Loads everything real fast and everything is faster then mine . And I have a PIII 1g with 512m of ram. but I also have 3 monitors (21" w/voodoo5 5500 , 17" w/voodoo3 3000 and a 15" w/voodoo3 3000 ) .I love having a huge desktop . And yes I use all 3 . Anyway my cousin told me to get more ram . And I've been building systems for the last 6 years now .

That's why I'm hoping the ss will soon work over all 3 monitors . Some of Microsnots ss do but not all . Besides , this ss is better then anything microsnot could ever put out .

If it's slow , it's something running in the backround . It was jerkey on my wifes laptop but now it's smooth as silk .
ESHIREY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2002, 05:42 AM   #139
Shinsa
Registered

Memory lapse?

Well guys, I'm what you call an original tech geek. My dad was an auto mechanic, and had tons of fun electronic stuff to play with. I gained a high interest in eletronics, and my brother became an auto mechanic wiz!

If its Techy, I'm into it.

Yes, there is a 512 MB limit for Win9x and WinME

But there is a work around for that. Follow this link to Microsoft...

http://support.microsoft.com/default...253912&GSSNB=1

BUT... I don't think it will cause the system to run slower. The problem will most likely be just getting the machine to boot, and recognize that much memory.

And if I'm not mistaken, Win 2000 has a 2 GB limit, not 4. But I could be wrong...

Last edited by Shinsa; 01-20-2002 at 05:48 AM.
Shinsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2002, 05:10 AM   #140
josho
Registered

Thumbs Up Running at 0.6 fps!!!

only 0.6 fps.... this is unbearable. no programs running in the background. i have a Piii 600mhz with 512megs of ram on windows 2000 with directx 8.1.

here's what i think might be the problem: i have a diamond viper v770 32meg video card. there are no drivers for windows 2000 so i am using the compatible nVidia riva TNT 2 drivers instead.

any ideas? ANY help would be greatly appreciated.
josho is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum > SereneScreen Products > Marine Aquarium 3 for Windows > Marine Aquarium 2 for Windows Archive