Home Register Arcade Gallery Chatroom Members Today's Posts Log In
Go Back   Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum > SereneScreen Products > Marine Aquarium 3 for Windows > Marine Aquarium 2 for Windows Archive
Notices

Old 03-17-2003, 01:07 AM   #121
AKcrab
Registered

Thanks for the feedback!
(the javascript slide show is kinda annoying, but sure is simple on my end)
I was trying to figure out which I might submit. Do I email serene to make an offer?
AKcrab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2003, 04:13 AM   #122
Tiny Turtle
is pleased

27 Highscores

Nice pics – One question though: Aren't you afraid the cats' claws migh mess up your TFT monitor? (Could be that Apple put a piece of glass on top of course)

/Tiny Clawmarks
Thanks to Morgan, Tiny Snapshots is up and running again with "Tiny Järvafält" as the latest addition – Go have a look and tell me what you think.

"We knew the world would not be the same. A few people laughed, a few people cried, most people were silent.
I remembered the line from the Hindu scripture, the Bhagavad-Gita. Vishnu is trying to persuade the Prince that he should do his duty and to impress him takes on his multi-armed form and says,
'Now, I am become Death, the destroyer of worlds.'
I suppose we all thought that, one way or another.
" /Robert Oppenheimer on witnessing the first thermonuclear detonation in history.
Tiny Turtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2003, 06:00 AM   #123
AKcrab
Registered

Originally posted by Tiny Turtle
Nice pics ? One question though: Aren't you afraid the cats' claws migh mess up your TFT monitor? (Could be that Apple put a piece of glass on top of course)

/Tiny Clawmarks
Glass on top. I did look for damage, and except for a nose print or too, no harm.
AKcrab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2003, 07:05 AM   #124
feldon34
Forum Administrator

AKCrab said:
I was trying to figure out which I might submit. Do I email serene to make an offer?
Well the principals behind the website visit this forum, so maybe they'll browse through your pictures and post here?
"Journalism is printing what someone else does not want printed. Everything else is public relations." - George Orwell
"If voting changed anything, they'd make it illegal." - Emma Goldman
feldon34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2003, 07:26 AM   #125
cjmaddy
Registered

'Other' pet pictures ?

Does this count?

This is Huggy, - and he's very keen on fish!

This picture is not staged, - honest! - He 'lives' on the chair next to my computer, and likes to get up and come to the screen to select a few tasty morsels!

SSA has a very wide following!!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg dsc00083_huggy1.jpg (52.6 KB, 689 views)
cjmaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2003, 07:56 AM   #126
feldon34
Forum Administrator

This thread just had a twist added to it.
"Journalism is printing what someone else does not want printed. Everything else is public relations." - George Orwell
Old 03-17-2003, 09:32 AM   #127
Tiny Turtle
is pleased

27 Highscores

– Looks like Björne (with a tan) lives in Lancashire nowadays, right Swede?

/Tiny Snigel
Thanks to Morgan, Tiny Snapshots is up and running again with "Tiny Järvafält" as the latest addition – Go have a look and tell me what you think.

"We knew the world would not be the same. A few people laughed, a few people cried, most people were silent.
I remembered the line from the Hindu scripture, the Bhagavad-Gita. Vishnu is trying to persuade the Prince that he should do his duty and to impress him takes on his multi-armed form and says,
'Now, I am become Death, the destroyer of worlds.'
I suppose we all thought that, one way or another.
" /Robert Oppenheimer on witnessing the first thermonuclear detonation in history.
Old 03-17-2003, 11:50 AM   #128
cjmaddy
Registered

Björne Snigel ???

[thinks] Tiny is going to have to explain this, - Yippee! [/thinks]

(Why do I get the feeling that it's something like Sweden's answer to the Tele Tubbies ........ because I've been looking on Google ..... but it's all in some very strange language! ...... but why is there a worm on wheels? ...... very strange!)
cjmaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2003, 01:00 PM   #129
Tiny Turtle
is pleased

27 Highscores

– If I ever get to Derby Rd...

Björn = Bear, Björne is just a nick name for someone named Björn.
Kinda right with the Teletubbies angle – Though Huggy is kind of a major give-away on that one... (B aired before the TT's came along though and is intended for a bit older children – wonderfully sweet dialog in this one, it was...

The worm on wheels is supposed to be a snail (snail = snigel)

Uncanny similarity, if you ask me

/Tiny Eh-oh
Old 03-18-2003, 08:30 PM   #130
MadBob
Guitar Man

Hey Woman! how many times do I have to tell you?
move your fat arse from in front of the Screen, them fish are on again.

MadBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2003, 10:46 PM   #131
feldon34
Forum Administrator

I guess we're going to have to split this thread.
Old 03-19-2003, 04:29 AM   #132
MadBob
Guitar Man

hey you asked for pets with Aquairium, you getting technical on me now
MadBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2003, 10:31 AM   #133
feldon34
Forum Administrator

Attached Images
File Type: gif kitty.gif (4.3 KB, 632 views)
Old 03-26-2003, 05:24 PM   #134
frankfrank3333
Registered

photoshop aid in cleaning edges?

Originally posted by Jim Sachs
There will be a gradient background, and it will not be totally covered. I found early on that the fish need some open areas to be silhouetted against, or they get lost in the detail. This is even more true for the poor little drab freshwater fish.

Regarding moving plants: Yes, there is a difficulty in rendering plants against a gradient background, but perhaps it's not the problem you thought. When the plant is photographed against a blue background, then clipped out in a paint program by turning blue to transparent, the object still has an outline of almost-blue pixels that acted as anti-aliasing. If the plant is then pasted back onto a blue background it looks fine, but what if the background is black? If the background is a detailed picture, a lot of this is masked by the detail, but on a smooth ever-changing gradient, they really show up. On a plant with thousands of tiny tendrils, there can be hundreds of hours of removing these fringe pixels by hand.
Dear Jim. This is my first post. Bought 2.0 recently, have been using the free demo for about a year. Looks great! Can't wait for the seaweed upgrade later on!

I use photoshop quite alot, what I'd call an experienced hacker.
What about bring the image into photoshop? There are fairly easy routines for changing the blue edge pixels to something closer to the rest. Then one can capture the image border, and do some kind of mild blur, say 0.3 pixels, to add variation. Or, force the image into GIF config, then look at the blue index colors and edit them.

I'd be happy if you sent me a small fragment to work on, to determine if anything I know how to do could help eliminate the painstaking hand-work.
Frank
frankfrank3333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2003, 12:03 AM   #135
Jim Sachs
Developer

Thanks anyway, Frank, but the problem is not "changing the blue edge pixels to something closer to the rest", since there's no way of telling what "the rest" would be at any given moment as the plants sway. The alpha of each edge pixel must be changed by hand to produce an antialiased edge against whatever background object or lighting conditions might be present.

BTW, my dread of Photoshop does not stem from a lack of familiarity with it - quite the opposite.
Jim Sachs
Creator of SereneScreen Aquarium
Jim Sachs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2003, 10:36 PM   #136
Floyd312
Registered

I finally managed to get a picture of Leia looking at the Aquarium. Every time I cought her looking at the fish I would grab the camera but then the little gooberhead would get all curious about the camera and I couldn't get a shot. But I kept trying and finally got this one.

Don

Floyd312 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2003, 11:05 AM   #137
hyla01
Registered

Riccia fluitans

Jim,

I just bought some Crystal Wort (Riccia fluitans) from a shop up in Md. They have a website and ship to anywhere. They also sell Glossostigma elatinoides, which I think appears as as a more realistic ground cover.

http://www.aquariumcenter.com/plants.php
Attached Images
File Type: jpg glossostigma elatinoides.jpg (17.9 KB, 552 views)
"Eventually, all things merge into one, and a river runs through it. The river was cut by the world's great flood and runs over rocks from the basement of time. On some of the rocks are timeless raindrops. Under the rocks are the words, and some of the words are theirs. I am haunted by waters."
-Norman Maclean, A River Runs Through It.
hyla01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2003, 03:43 PM   #138
feldon34
Forum Administrator

hyla1,

In case you haven't gotten a proper greeting, Welcome to the forums!

I am guessing that that picture is Glossostigma elatinoides?

I must me blind because I can't find Ricia flutans at that website, maybe it's only available when you call them?

By the way folks, the guy who had the pics of Riccia fluitans reorganized his website. The main entry page (Ralph posted 1 picture from it) is now located here.
Old 06-02-2003, 03:47 PM   #139
feldon34
Forum Administrator

Ok, I called up there at Aquarium Center. They have Riccia only in small quantities and they sell it on a rock. They also need to find out if they're allowed to mail it to California. So I guess you would have to transplant it to your rocks somehow. He said it was $7-10 per rock with the Riccia on it.

If you call tomorrow morning around 10am Eastern (7am), ask for Gloria.
Old 06-02-2003, 07:01 PM   #140
hyla01
Registered

Riccia fluitans

Thanks for the welcome, Feldon. You'll be happy to know that Jav gave me a fine how-do-you last week.

The rocks are all different sizes. I got one of their largest rocks yesterday (petrified wood?) and it cost $7.99. The riccia itself is 6"x6" and is tied down to the stone as it has a tendancy to float. I reckon that if you ask Gloria to remove the Riccia from the rocks it will ease shipping costs quite a bit, that is if they can sell it to Cali Hope this all helps.

P.S. I should have noted it but, yes that is a pic of Glossostigma elatinoides.
"Eventually, all things merge into one, and a river runs through it. The river was cut by the world's great flood and runs over rocks from the basement of time. On some of the rocks are timeless raindrops. Under the rocks are the words, and some of the words are theirs. I am haunted by waters."
-Norman Maclean, A River Runs Through It.
hyla01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum > SereneScreen Products > Marine Aquarium 3 for Windows > Marine Aquarium 2 for Windows Archive